Thread: The moving beach -- Zlatni Rat in Croatia

Default The moving beach -- Zlatni Rat in Croatia

Those who think all beaches are the same (water, sand, waves) can think again.
    Welcome to Zlatni Rat, a spectacular beach on an island off the coast of Croatia that is moody and volatile, often changing direction of its tip &mdash known as the Golden Horn ó daily based on wind patterns.

How does this tip of beach ďmove"?Ē
    The Golden Horn is a spit, a narrow coastal land formation tied to the coast at one end.
    The end of the spit can often become hooked when the wind direction changes, sometimes leading to daily changes with short-term wind movements, says Dr. Nenad Domijan at the Hydrographic Institute of the Republic of Croatia.

This aerial view of Zlatni Rat shows the tail changing direction with the gusty winds. Sometimes it curves left, sometimes it curves right and sometimes it is straight.
    Even during winter (pictured), snow is rare. On average it snows only 1.5 days a year.
    Hikes up the islandís largest peak, Vidova Gora, reveal the lush forests on the coastline.

Zlatni Ratís sandbar, which stretches over a quarter of a mile into the sea, is made up of the same smooth pebbles as the beach.
    On a still day, stones that are 30 feet or more below the surface appear much closer because of the oceanís crystal-clear waters.

Offbeat Traveler: The moving beach -- Zlatni Rat in Croatia - latimes.com

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

It even snows- it's perfect!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

croatia is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful countries i've ever visited. haven't seen the moving beach but everywhere else was amazing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    croatia is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful countries i've ever visited. haven't seen the moving beach but everywhere else was amazing.
    I so want to go there. Is it easy to get around not speaking the language?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

My Mom is Croation. It's a gorgeous country. Also, really great Pot. It wins at the competitions in Amersterdam. Most of the tourist areas will have someone who speaks English at whatever restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I so want to go there. Is it easy to get around not speaking the language?
    yeah, you'll be fine. younger people especially are learning english a lot these days. the first time i was there (late 90s), there were more people who spoke german than english, but since then, it seems more and more people speak english. because of the booming tourist industry and because more and more kids in school choose to learn english over german.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Some of my family members took a cruise and it included stopping in Croatia and staying there for approx a week. They never wanted to leave. These are people that have been all over the world and they couldn't shut it about Croatia---sounds incredible!!

Thread Information