Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Europe's most idyllic places to live

Default Europe's most idyllic places to live

No. 10 Deia, Majorca

On the northern edge of the Spanish island of Majorca lies Deia, a small coastal village. As part of the sunny Baleric Islands, it has an average temperature of 63º F (17º C). Billionaire entrepreneur and Virgin Group owner Richard Branson owns a luxury residence in the village. Artists, including Mick Jagger and Mark Knopfler, played regularly at the local bar, Sa Fonda, in the 1980s. A two-bedroom apartment in Deia village costs in the region of 350,000 euros ($456,000).

No. 9 Rome, Italy

Italy's capital, Rome, is one of the founding cities of Western civilization. Known as the Eternal City, it has a population of over 2.7 million people and is the third most visited site in the European Union. A 50-square-meter apartment in a choice central area will cost in the region of 450,000 euros ($582,000), and there is unlikely to be a place within the motorway that encircles the city for less than 2,500 euros ($3,200) per square meter.

No. 8 Sibiu, Romania

In the heart of Transylvania lies Sibiu, an important but little known city of 160,000. Outside Romania, Transylvania is best known as the sinister setting of Bram Stoker's novel Dracula. Yet within Romania, the region is known for the outstanding beauty of its Carpathian mountain landscape and its rich and significant history. In 2007, Sibiu was the European capital of culture, and apartments surrounded by cobbled streets and pastel colored buildings can be picked up for under 50,000 euros ($65,000).

No. 7 Budapest, Hungary

In stark contrast with the tiny village of Burford is Budapest, capital of Hungary. This city covers a vast 202.7 square mile area in the center of the country. It has no fewer than four world heritage sites, including the second-oldest underground railway in the world. Houses are an extremely good value, with a 50-square-meter flat costing approximately 17 million Hungarian florins ($81,000).

No. 6 Burford, England

Burford is a village known as the Gateway to the Cotswolds, a mountainous and beautiful region in the center of southern England. Numerous celebrities choose Burford and the surrounding Cotswolds area as their residence of choice, including Kate Moss, Kate Winslet and members of Radiohead. With average property prices of 532,669 pounds ($829,987), it is the most expensive of our idyllic locations to live.

No. 5 Ljubljana, Slovenia

The queen of England recently visited this quirky capital city on a royal visit to Slovenia, where she was given a rare Lipizzaner horse. Ala Osmond of Exeter International called the city "a little Paris" with hints of Art Nouveau. It lies at the crossroads of the German, Latin and Slavic worlds and is a melting pot of culture. A two-bedroom apartment in the center of town will cost in the region of 200,000 euros ($258,000).

No. 4 Kefalonia, Greece

Kefalonia is a Greek island rich in natural beauty. Tourism is a major industry, especially after Louis de Bernières' novel Captain Correlli's Mandolin was turned into a movie in 2001.Quality of life here is relaxed and jovial, and the average temperature for the year is around 63º F (17º C). The population is approximately 37,000, and the majority of the island is rugged and mountainous. Expect a two-bedroom apartment to set you back around 220,000 euros ($276,000).

No. 3 Copenhagen, Denmark

The Danish capital city, boasting café culture bursting with good cakes and coffee, is also a center for business and science, with a population of 509,861. "It's so socially progressive, and they were the first country to allow same sex marriages," says Lucy White of Lonely Planet. "And it's so chic--the design is wonderful." Transport in the city is excellent, with free city bicycles provided for general use. The average price of a small apartment in Copenhagen at the end of 2007 was 1,939,000 Danish kronor ($326,000).

No. 2 Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France

Once the home of Vincent Van Gogh, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence lies 20 km (12 miles) south of Avignon. Characterized by rolling vineyards and opportunities for hiking and walking, the average conditions are some of the best in Europe, with summer averages of around 80 º F (20 º C) and winters of no lower than 36º F (2º C). House prices are expensive though; a three-bedroom mezzanine apartment will cost in the region of 425,000 euros ($533,000).

No. 1 Gaiole in Chianti, Italy

Gaiole in Chianti is located in the west of Italy. In 2007, it had a population of 2,591 people, evidence that this area, once a center of regional commerce, is now a sleepy and picturesque municipality. It holds an annual wine festival in September and has an average temperature of 68º F (20º C). A 17th century farmhouse high in the Chianti hills is likely to cost around 600,000 euros ($748,000).

In Pictures: Europe's Most Idyllic Places To Live - Forbes.com

I would love to live in Spain.

I've only been to Saint Rémy de Provence. Too quiet for me.

I wouldn't mind living in Sibiu.

i would love to live in copenhagen.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd move to any of them in a heart beat.
    Fuck America.

Elite Member

I've been to Copenhagen, slept through a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    I've been to Copenhagen, slept through a lot of it.
    Copenhagen is a nice place, living there is ok, but I have never really connected with the place.

My first memory of copenhagen, as a small child, was an old woman with big titties flapping in the wind freely as she was on the street without clothes.

Did anyone see the list of the best cities to live? Vienna was first on that list.

^^ Vienna is boring and so is Copenhagen. IMHO. The only thing I liked about Copenhagen is Christiania.

I was in Deia a week ago, it's very beautiful, but overrated.

How anyone can call Rome idyllic is beyond me, though. Chianti is idyllic, Rome not at all.

I like all these places, but I'm not crazy about them. Maybe I'm just not one to appreciate idyllic places.

I'd move to Budapest in a heartbeat, though. Very vibrant and interesting city.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ^^ Vienna is boring and so is Copenhagen. IMHO. The only thing I liked about Copenhagen is Christiania.
    Christiania feels weird, it's like stepping into a 60's/70's time warp. I can think of a few people here who would like it.

I love Copenhagen.

I agree that Rome is hardly idyllic, as much as I loved it.

I would like to visit Romania one day. It seems to have a sort of mythical quality about it and the Carpathian Mountains are beautiful.

i think vienna is underrated. it can appear boring but if you live there and know where to go, it's a very cool city, even if it's not berlin or paris or new york. my parents were there for over 7 years and i lived there for 2 of them, and visited loads the rest of the time and i was never bored. and it has amazing quality of life.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think vienna is underrated. it can appear boring but if you live there and know where to go, it's a very cool city, even if it's not berlin or paris or new york. my parents were there for over 7 years and i lived there for 2 of them, and visited loads the rest of the time and i was never bored. and it has amazing quality of life.
    I have never heard anyone disliking vienna, if they have lived there.

i think i'd jump into the unknown and move to ljubljana.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I like anywhere in Scandinavia but am partial to Stockholm. Brussels is more fun than expected, love Italy although some of the tourist areas can be a hassle. Paris is better than expected, even with all the French people. Hell, I'd live anywhere in Europe again. I love it there and you're always just a short train or plane ride away from somewhere different.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    How anyone can call Rome idyllic is beyond me, though.
    that was my first thought as well......there are tons of idyllic places in italy, but not rome

the Aeolian islands come to mind
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information