Thread: How do I navigate NYC without looking like a total idiot?

Default How do I navigate NYC without looking like a total idiot?

Hey everyone - so I'm visiting my cousin and a friend in NYC this coming weekend (May 2-4.) I'm getting from JFK to my friend's house in Brooklyn all by myself, and doing a few things on my own on Monday while he's at work, and I need to learn how to get around by myself. Any tips? The train info i read online about NYC looks SO overwhlemingly confusing, and I haven't been there in a few years so I don't want to look like a total idiot. Any tips?

Also - what should I check out during the day on Monday while I'm on my own? I've done all the touristy stuff on my own, and I'm on a budget. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Just go and enjoy it. Yes you will probably get lost but it will be so fun discovering places you've never been before

Sorry, don't have any advice, but I think that maybe native NYC'ers are somewhat USED to people not knowing their way around.....so, ask for help if you need it.

Have a great time!!

Say hi to Chalet for me!

If you happen to get online when in NYC, let me know the kinds of things you like to do. Don't worry about the subway, you've got walking to do. Comfortable shoes are a must.

What do you like to do? Museums like MOMA or The Met? That's a whole day plus you can have such a nice lunch there.

Window shopping and people watching? For that I'd say Soho/Tribeca/West Village. Bop around and then sit in a cafe on West Broadway or the Village, have a coffee and watch the world go by. The heart of the West Village has antique, funky clothes and boutique shops, all different and fun.

You can meet up with your cousin in Soho and wander over to Lombardi's Pizza on Spring Street and have some really great NY pizza.

You can sit at Al Pacino's (or Al Cappuccino as he's called) favorite cafe, Cafe Reggio in the village. Prince and Spring Streets are really fun to wander around.

Even as a lifelong New Yorker, even I get turned around downtown, and the one I always got my bearings was by looking north and see the Empire State Bldg and looking south the World Trade Center. That's sad.

Have a ball!

thanks guys!

I had an AMAZING time. I'm setting my sights on moving there at the end of the summer. I totally fell in love with the city, and had a surprisingly easy time finding my way around. As long as I can find a nanny gig this summer down there, I'm NYC bound and can't wait!

the subway isn't really that confusing. just get a map and a metrocard.

once you're above downtown, the streets run north and south, and the avenues east to west numerically. it's all a big grid over 14th street.

if you get lost, ask. we are a lot nicer than our reputation, and people will give you directions.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; May 6th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I visited NYC this past weekend as well =)

We took the 3 hr cruise, which was really nice, and relaxing. We walked through Central Park (much bigger, and more beautiful than I had anticipated....whew!), had Bloody Marys at Tavern on the Green, fabulous, huge sandwiches at the Stage Door Deli, visited the Guggenheim (very disappointed, most of it was closed off to set up a new exhibit, we only saw 2 small sections with approx 20 pieces), and went to "Top of the Rock" after sundown, and seeing the city lights from that view was breathtaking.

I preferred the taxis vs. the subway, as it seemed we spent quite a bit of time underground "waiting". I guess, if we knew the system better, we would have known when they would arrive...??

And yes, comfortable shoes are a MUST! Hence, the cabs by the end of the day, I just couldn't take it anymore!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I went last May, and I'd give anything to live there. There's no place like it on earth.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    I went last May, and I'd give anything to live there. There's no place like it on earth.
    you can come visit assuming I live in a place larger than a fridge box. I'm so excited, things are coming together really fast!

That's awesome frecklered!! Hope the job thing works out and you can have some real time checking things out!

Frecklered:

where in brooklyn are you staying? do you know what neighborhood?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

^^I already went, I stayed in Williamsburg with a friend. There was an old factory across the street next door to new luxury-looking apartment construction. I don't know if that's where I'll be looking to live, since I'm hoping to ideally score a live-in nanny position, but I loved it.

Any advice? I'm using any connections I have with pretty promising results, but I'll take any advice you guys can offer too, of course!

oops, i should have read the dates more closely

there are some great placement agencies for nannies, have you listed yourself with any? here's a link for you with a few of the bigger ones:

New York Kids' Nanny Agencies - Au Pair Agencies, Child-Care Centers - Babysitter Agencies - New York Family Guide

If you have any specific questions about the city feel free to PM me. I was born and raised here, and will be happy to help you any way I can .

Thread Information