Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are lip injections ever an improvement?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Are lip injections ever an improvement?

I think lipliner and lip gloss combo is good enough to enhance someone's thin lips. Plus there are lip plumping lipsticks and stuff out on the market. I don't think the injection is all that necessary.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^ I never thought those lip plumping lipsticks worked until a friend made me try one called Lip Injection by Too Faced last weekend. My lips started burning, turned red and swelled up. It was quite shocking actually, I made a mistake and a bit of it went on my skin outside my lipline and that swelled too. It was really freaky, maybe I'm allergic to it. I can't even say it looked that good, my whole face looked odd.

Injection lip augmentation can be an improvement as another poster indicated when the improvement is subtle. You just have to use less filler and the correction lasts a lesser period of time.

I blogged on this a while ago on Cosmetic Surgery Truth.

John Di Saia MD
    San Clemente, Ca.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    How long does the restylane last? I was thinking about having this done.
    The projections are 6 months to a year (everyone's body breaks it down at a different rate), but it's best to do another treatment at 6 months, since if you do it before the last treatment wears off, it will last longer. So, for that reason, it makes good sense to do touchups at a maximum of 6 months. The good thing about it is that it's made of a substance which is responsible for holding moisture in the skin cells and which your body already produces naturally, so there's no danger and it's much more natural looking than collagen. But if you do decide to do this tiki, just make sure you have a doctor who really knows what they are doing. Otherwise they can really mess up the shape of your lips. And make sure they don't talk you into getting more than necessary. You can start with 1 cc and see how that works before you decide to inject more. If you want to know anything else, just ask. I'll be happy to help.

Silver Member
    The First Presleytarian Church Of Elvis The Divine

I always thought Reba could benefit from having her top lip done, I don't know how that would turn out since she doesn't have one to begin with.
    How You Durrin ?

^ That's where I think it helps, it's why I got mine done a few years back. If I had the money to keep it up, I would!

Quote Originally Posted by cherub
    The projections are 6 months to a year (everyone's body breaks it down at a different rate), but it's best to do another treatment at 6 months, since if you do it before the last treatment wears off, it will last longer.
    It never seems to last that long. If you go for a more natural look having less injected it only seems to last a few months. Maybe this explains the desire to go large although it is not like you are supersizing a soft drink is it? -JPD

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    Thanks Cherub! How much does it cost and does it hurt??
    It costs way too much! Doesn't everything cost too much? I think it varies depending on the doctor, probably ranging from about $400-$700 per cc. Maybe someone else out there knows more about the price range than me.

A dental block is given, plus a topical. You will feel really weird from the numbness. I couldn't even close my mouth or move my tongue, and talking was difficult because I was so numb over the entire lower half of my face. I'm surprised I wasn't drooling all over myself. I felt like a complete spaz. You really don't feel the injections. I think it's more a pyschological thing...knowing what is happening sort of turns your stomach. There is some significant swelling the first 24 hours (which didn't bother me at all), and some minor soreness and bruising which disappears within about 5 days. Overall, it was no big deal and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by drdisaia
    It never seems to last that long. If you go for a more natural look having less injected it only seems to last a few months. Maybe this explains the desire to go large although it is not like you are supersizing a soft drink is it? -JPD
    Yes, I figured this. I think that is why my doctor suggested doing the treatments more frequently but only 1 cc at a time. The idea is to try to keep the lips about the same size, instead of going huge at first and then allowing them to gradually get smaller over 6 months, and then going huge again. Ugh! Who wants lips that are always changing size and shape? And who wants them ugly huge in the beginning? That defeats the whole purpose.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

*evil grin* you could always do what I did. Have a massive allergic reaction to having your upper lip waxed. My lips swole up like a blow fish, like Hunter Tylo's for a few days. Someone in town accused me of having the injections. I hated the way it looked on my because my features are too delicately tiny to look good with blowfish lips. Lots of benadryl later I was normal..

^ Ha, that happens to me whenever I eat an apple!

I actually think Elizabeth Hurley's lips look better plumped up.

If its overdone, lip enhancement is dreadful. But subtle work can look great.

Default Re: are lip injections ever an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland
    I need an upper lip; i'm such a Wasp-y looking woman damnit!

Me too!! I'm the picture definition of a WASP----yet, I have nice lips!!! Not Lisa Rinna full mind you, but not super thin either. My MIL has always told me what nice lips and eyebrows I have.....never gave it much thought.

Do WASPS typically have the shitty lips???
    Maybe thats why I like you Alice, we're fellow Wasps...

When I got my makeup done for my highschool graduation ball, the woman told me that I'd never need any lip enhancement surgery.

I love my lips, I thank my Dad, he had lips exactly like Elvis!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    It costs way too much! Doesn't everything cost too much? I think it varies depending on the doctor, probably ranging from about $400-$700 per cc. Maybe someone else out there knows more about the price range than me.

A dental block is given, plus a topical. You will feel really weird from the numbness. I couldn't even close my mouth or move my tongue, and talking was difficult because I was so numb over the entire lower half of my face. I'm surprised I wasn't drooling all over myself. I felt like a complete spaz. You really don't feel the injections. I think it's more a pyschological thing...knowing what is happening sort of turns your stomach. There is some significant swelling the first 24 hours (which didn't bother me at all), and some minor soreness and bruising which disappears within about 5 days. Overall, it was no big deal and well worth it.
    I paid $450USD for 1cc of Juvaderm which lasts longer than Restalyne. Generally Restalyne lasts 3-6mo. Juvaderm 6+months. I always had a smaller upper lip and now I don't. For those thinking of having it done, you'll love it. Let me give a few pointers that were not told to me before. You will look a bit jacked for the first 5-7 days, however your lips WILL go down and look normal after that. I was told.. "you'll be fine, most people do it at lunch and go back to work". Luckily I had it done on a Saturday so I had a few days to let the swelling/blisters diminish. Everyone was like..... what happened to your upper lip??? (not quite the effect I was going for LOL).

Anyways, I will definately do it again when the Juvaderm starts to fade. I also have to agree that the you don't really feel the injections since you are numb, but just knowing a needle is being pulled through your lip does make your stomach turn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information