Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The worst gifts I've ever received from a man (don't buy these for your wife!)

My dad is the worst gift shopper EVER. He finally figured out that he's more successful if he TAKES US WITH HIM to the store to pick out our gifts. Well, it took the man at least 15 years of my life to figure this out. He got my mom a hat rack (yes,.. to hang your hats.. she owns none) one year.. she ended up using it as a necklace holder. He would buy us socks.. not fancy ones, but sports socks.. he got me a newsboy cap one year that was made for a small child. Men are really clueless when it comes to gifts.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Oven Glove? Are you shitting me? Hubby would be so dead.
    I spared his life on condition that from now on I buy my own gifts and he doesn't whine about paying for them. Result!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My dad was a good giver...but still is a terrible receiver. I remember him asking my mom for bedroom slippers three years in a row when I was a kid, but he hated every pair she bought for him. Did he go to the store with her to exchange them and pick out something he liked, "Nah, I trashed them. I'll just wear my old ones another year and then you can try again!" Like that's just so much fun!

I gave him a collection of Blues CDs after he asked for Blues music for Xmas.
    Me: Dad, so did you get the CDs?
    Him: *laughing* Oh Lola, those were HORRIBLE, what awful recordings! I had to toss them out."
    (Flames...flames on the side of my face)
    Me: ...So you threw them away?
    Him: Yeah, but don't worry. I found a set here that I really like, so I bought them.

The ex who gave me the photograph of himself for Xmas also had a habit of going out the day after Xmas and exchanging what I got him for something he liked better. No conversation...no warning.

Him: We should rent Total Recall. That was a stupid but fun flick...
    Me: I thought I gave you the special edition of it last year for Xmas?
    Him: Oh yeah, but I took it back and got The Abyss.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I remember an ex who bought me a pair of cheap and tacky cat earings for christmas. He said he was totally broke and just wanted to get me a little something to make me smile. I grinned and bore it. I wore them to make him happy. They made my ears itch and then bleed. Then I found out that he'd spent 47.99 (yes, I remember the exact figure...) on a framed Beatles poster for his ex wife. I ditched him straight afterwards.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^Served the bastard right.

My dad was a good giver...but still is a terrible receiver. I remember him asking my mom for bedroom slippers three years in a row when I was a kid, but he hated every pair she bought for him. Did he go to the store with her to exchange them and pick out something he liked, "Nah, I trashed them. I'll just wear my old ones another year and then you can try again!" Like that's just so much fun!

Him: *laughing* Oh Lola, those were HORRIBLE, what awful recordings! I had to toss them out."
    Him: Yeah, but don't worry. I found a set here that I really like, so I bought them.
    This just mortifies me for some reason!
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I can't really think of terrible gifts but some people ARE terrible receivers. Lola's post reminds me of my ex. Every year he bitched about what I got him, and I'd have to return things and try again. And again. Finally towards the end of our marriage, one Christmas he hated EVERYTHING I got him and made me return it all. I was furious and told him next year I wasn't getting him shit. And I didn't. Very satisfying.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    I can't really think of terrible gifts but some people ARE terrible receivers. Lola's post reminds me of my ex. Every year he bitched about what I got him, and I'd have to return things and try again. And again. Finally towards the end of our marriage, one Christmas he hated EVERYTHING I got him and made me return it all. I was furious and told him next year I wasn't getting him shit. And I didn't. Very satisfying.
    Some people just have to ruin everything!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The ex who gave me the photograph of himself for Xmas also had a habit of going out the day after Xmas and exchanging what I got him for something he liked better. No conversation...no warning.

Him: We should rent Total Recall. That was a stupid but fun flick...
    Me: I thought I gave you the special edition of it last year for Xmas?
    Him: Oh yeah, but I took it back and got The Abyss.
    If someone did that to me I would have no qualms about never buying them another present ever. It's almost like they are giving you permission to stop buying them things. Save your money. And if that doesn't work for you, buy them gift cards. That is what I do for my dad because his tastes are so specialized that I don't even bother trying to find him what he wants.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

I once got thermal underwear with some sort of hideous floral print on them...

I also re-gift.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My husband went to Asia on business and knowing he's such a crap gift chooser/buyer I gave him a list including some Thai silk please. Naturally I thought he'd find a gorgeous sarong or something. Imagine my joy when he returned home and presented me with a beautifully gift wrapped......... oven glove.
    A friend of mine brought me back an oven glove and apron from Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    A friend of mine brought me back an oven glove and apron from Singapore.
    Nice pearls would have been about the same price!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ Ugh, pearls are too ladylike for me.
    I will take diamonds!

I would like a new apron

And yeah, I did, in fact, stop buying gifts for my dad, in a way. I've started buying him things that i want and then if he doesn't like them I have him give them to me. It was the only reasonable solution. Thankfully I learned he likes MST3K, which I'm a huge fan of, so for the past two years I've bought him a boxed set of episodes and we watch them together

And the above-mentioned guy never got another gift from me
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

A gift would have be something that was downright insensitive and from someone I'm close to for me to bitch.

Otherwise, I'm just touched that someone made the gesture and if it's something that sucks they'll never know it from me.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information