Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why I never want to live in Australia

Hit By Ban Bus!

How about a brown recluse spider. I had a relative get bitten by one in her house in Ohio. She actually got this huge welt on her leg and then it started bubbling into this giant pus infected thing. I insisted she got to the hospital and they put her on antibiotics and she was there for three days. Teeny tiny spider bite.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    ^^^

Suicidal Alligators!! Whatever next?
    Lol. No, the Game Wardens had to put that monster down because it had made it's way onto a roadway and caused an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    You don't have to go to the desert to find a rattlesnake in the US. I don't know for sure about other areas but they are all over the South. Also the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin:

This dangerous semi-aquatic snake is truly an aggressive reptile that will stand its ground or even approach an intruder.

The Coral Snake:

The snake is classed with several Old World species like the neurotoxic cobras, kraits, and mambas.

Typically very small by comparison, averaging only 20 inches or so, this snake is seldom seen and tends to be very nocturnal. The snake spends much of its life underground in cracks and crevices.

Which is very easy to confuse with the benign Scarlet King Snake:

Remember the old saying: "red and yellow will kill a fellow." What this means is that RED AND YELLOW ARE NOT SEPARATED - the red and yellow bands touch. The California Mountain King Snake has a black head but does not have red and yellow bands that touch.
    Oh, and don't forget the Alligators.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahli View Post
    How about a brown recluse spider. I had a relative get bitten by one in her house in Ohio. She actually got this huge welt on her leg and then it started bubbling into this giant pus infected thing. I insisted she got to the hospital and they put her on antibiotics and she was there for three days. Teeny tiny spider bite.
    We have none of those here
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

i think you people think i was joking when i said koalas are deadly ...one mauled my cousin 10 years ago!

^^ Tricky little things..... they look so cute and cuddly!!

Lol Nicole, you could never survive down South. Banana Spiders pop up every time you turn around. They won't jump off the web and "gitcha" tho, and even if they bite you probably won't die. *snicker*
    Yeah, I'm kinda creeped out by spiders, but what gets me are the huge scorpions that love to invade my laundry room. They're usually about as long as my pinky finger. Sometimes there'll be one on the ceiling and all I can do is watch it, just waiting for it to fall on me!

You don't have to go to the desert to find a rattlesnake in the US. I don't know for sure about other areas but they are all over the South. Also the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin:

The Coral Snake:
    Yep, and don't forget the copperheads:

We've killed several babies in the yard over the years. And where there are babies, there's a mama! Though the babies are the most poisonous. Snakes are the critters that scare me the most.

Just recently, my boyfriend's co-worker's wife had to have a chunk of her arm removed after being bitten by a brown recluse. We also call them "fiddlebacks" here.

Oh, but about Australia...... I really love the accent. Talk about some sexy talkin men.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ummm hmmmm.

I can't believe I forgot the Copperhead. Hubby killed one five feet long while fishing years ago. Creeped me the hell out!

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider when I was five! Luckily no permanent damage was done, but it was touch and go for a while.

I am terrified of spiders. My parents have been contemplating a trip to Australia since I was in high school. I told them that that was one vacation they wouldn't have to worry about me hording in on because I would never consider vising Australia. The spiders are effin' huge! And I remember hearing once that they have jumping spiders. No thank you.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

A*O

Sigh. If you stick to populated areas you simply won't see the creepy crawlies that supposedly infest this country. It's like saying I'll never visit the US in case I step on a rattlesnake. I've done a lot of travelling around Oz and in 10 years I have seen one snake in Queensland and a few small, non-venomous spiders in my back yard. I'm sure they are out there but I've never come face to face with anything remotely dangerous.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to insult your homeland. If it makes you feel better, I'm fully aware that my fear is completely irrational. I always wanted to live in Hawaii until I saw an episode of House Hunters where they visited a house that had a gigantic spider in the front bushes. Not so interested in living there anymore.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

those damn discovery channel shows are making out that there are spiders and snakes in everyones house and backyard

Hit By Ban Bus!

I never saw any creepy crawlies when I was there, but I never visited the outback.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Like coyotes in America?
    I've never seen a coyote fall off of a sun-visor.

Why is it houses in Australia don't have basements?

Oh right because HUGE CRAWLY THINGS THAT WILL EAT YOU WILL MAKE A HEADQUARTERS IN IT
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i saw one of those in my room the other nite i had my mom throw it out for me, little bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Why is it houses in Australia don't have basements?

Oh right because HUGE CRAWLY THINGS THAT WILL EAT YOU WILL MAKE A HEADQUARTERS IN IT
    you can crawl under the house and find out

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information