Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why I never want to live in Australia

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've seen these in my garden more than once:

GOLDEN SILK SPIDER: (Nephila clavipes) This picture is a golden silk spider. Most people call them Banana Spiders because of their yellow bodies. They weave very strong webs which look like gold thread in the sunshine. Thatís why they are called Golden Silk Spiders. Their legs look long and hairy. The female is much bigger than the male. She is about 3 inches long, and the male is only 1/2 inch long. They make big webs, about 3 feet wide and live all over the southern US, especially Florida. They rarely ever bite people. Some people have allergic reactions to spider bites, but for most people, itís the same as getting bitten by an ant or deer fly. Itís not fun, but it wonít kill you.

^Oh, God, why did I click on this thread again????
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

Sharks dont want to eat you (except maybe a Great White having mistaken identity). For example in the last 10 months I have seen a 12' female Tiger Shark of Molokini Hawaii, and a 10' female Great Hammerhead diving off Grand Cayman. Both of these sightings were 100-140' underwater, and we swim as hard as we can to keep these beauties in sight for a few minutes. There are certainly Great White breeding gounds that I would not want to be in the water without a cage to watch the sharks; such as :Farallones Islands California, Catalina Island California, down to Baja Mexico (the so called Red Triangle), Dangerous Bay South Africa....but its a tiny fraction of the places we scuba with sharks. For example, the highest 'headcount' of sharks per dive, for me, was Cancun Mexico, but those are Black Tipped Reef Sharks. We had great Shark feeding dives in the Bahamas and the Tahitian Islands...that will ruin you for life.

A*O

Despite Steve Irwin's efforts to scare the crap out of people about the deadly creatures that live in Australia we really don't have that many, or certainly none that you will come across every day. US rattlesnakes are just as plentiful and deadly as some of their Aussie counterparts and I don't hear Americans say they refuse to visit the desert areas in the US. And there are sharks all along the US coastline too - remember that Jaws was set in Maine or was it Connecticutt - New England anyway. It's all about perception.

And I repeat, that big red spider in that pic only looks enormous because it's very close to the camera.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I've seen these in my garden more than once:

GOLDEN SILK SPIDER: (Nephila clavipes) This picture is a golden silk spider. Most people call them Banana Spiders because of their yellow bodies. They weave very strong webs which look like gold thread in the sunshine. Thatís why they are called Golden Silk Spiders. Their legs look long and hairy. The female is much bigger than the male. She is about 3 inches long, and the male is only 1/2 inch long. They make big webs, about 3 feet wide and live all over the southern US, especially Florida. They rarely ever bite people. Some people have allergic reactions to spider bites, but for most people, itís the same as getting bitten by an ant or deer fly. Itís not fun, but it wonít kill you.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A*O

Drag your eyes away from the pic, stop squealing and read the text underneath.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus!

The way I scrolled it up from the bottom it seemed to refer to your avatar A*O LOL

Hit By Ban Bus!

Lol Nicole, you could never survive down South. Banana Spiders pop up every time you turn around. They won't jump off the web and "gitcha" tho, and even if they bite you probably won't die. *snicker*

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Dahli View Post
    The way I scrolled it up from the bottom it seemed to refer to your avatar A*O LOL
    I have a whole collection of scary Crazy Heather avatars.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Despite Steve Irwin's efforts to scare the crap out of people about the deadly creatures that live in Australia we really don't have that many, or certainly none that you will come across every day. US rattlesnakes are just as plentiful and deadly as some of their Aussie counterparts and I don't hear Americans say they refuse to visit the desert areas in the US. And there are sharks all along the US coastline too - remember that Jaws was set in Maine or was it Connecticutt - New England anyway. It's all about perception.

And I repeat, that big red spider in that pic only looks enormous because it's very close to the camera.
    It would't prevent me from visiting Australia or living there but they do freak me out. The biggest spider I've ever seen here was about the size of a dime. We don't have rattlers, sharks or venomous snakes or spiders here. I think it's because of the cold. They couldn't survive our winters.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Hit By Ban Bus!

You don't have to go to the desert to find a rattlesnake in the US. I don't know for sure about other areas but they are all over the South. Also the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin:

This dangerous semi-aquatic snake is truly an aggressive reptile that will stand its ground or even approach an intruder.

The Coral Snake:

The snake is classed with several Old World species like the neurotoxic cobras, kraits, and mambas.

Typically very small by comparison, averaging only 20 inches or so, this snake is seldom seen and tends to be very nocturnal. The snake spends much of its life underground in cracks and crevices.

Which is very easy to confuse with the benign Scarlet King Snake:

Remember the old saying: "red and yellow will kill a fellow." What this means is that RED AND YELLOW ARE NOT SEPARATED - the red and yellow bands touch. The California Mountain King Snake has a black head but does not have red and yellow bands that touch.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh, and don't forget the Alligators.

^^^

Suicidal Alligators!! Whatever next?

Hit By Ban Bus!

LOL

I wonder why we have such a creep out reaction to quickly crawling bugs? It seems silly? But waterbugs holy moly I scream like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Lol Nicole, you could never survive down South. Banana Spiders pop up every time you turn around. They won't jump off the web and "gitcha" tho, and even if they bite you probably won't die. *snicker*

My mom saw a banana spider, once. It bit her on the face. >_>;;;;

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information