Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Spoiled brat daughter writes nasty post on Facebook, father shoots her laptop

Quote Originally Posted by dallison View Post
    Also, if Facebook is around when my kids are 15.... sorry, there will be no blocking me or their father. If there is stuff on there that I can't see, then they aren't responsible enough to have an account. More parents need to monitor their minor's internet accounts.
    At that age it's like with a diary though, nobody wants their parent reading through their thoughts. It doesn't necessarily mean there's terrible stuff on there. I'd have been embarrassed about my parents reading about who I had crushes on etc. I think 15 is old enough, but I agree younger kids need to be monitored online.

I understand what you're saying. For me, though, I do not want my kids using FB as a diary. I don't think, at that age, they fully understand what is appropriate to post publicly and what isn't.
    I have a few teen relatives on my facebook. Their accounts and all their friends have me banging my head against the wall from time to time. Posting stuff they really should be more careful with.

A diary doesn't need to be on a public site.

My mom's best friend's grandson, "J" is on my facebook. He was raised by his Grandma because his mom is schizophrenic. She's fully functional, working, doing some schooling, etc but her schizophrenia "surfaced" when J was fairly young and had to be hospitalized for quite some time. It was just better if J stayed with his Grandparents.
    Anyways.... J is 17 and knocked up his 16 y/o girlfriend of 2 months.
    They friggen announced it on Facebook! That's how J's Grandma found out.
    Ugh.

I didn't mean it should be used as a diary. I meant you don't want your parents reading your diary the same as most teens wouldn't want their parents reading their personal conversations etc on Facebook either. But I get what you're saying! Some things are best left off Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I didn't mean it should be used as a diary. I meant you don't want your parents reading your diary the same as most teens wouldn't want their parents reading their personal conversations etc on Facebook either. But I get what you're saying! Some things are best left off Facebook.
    This is true. And unfortunately, some people have to learn this the hard way. I cringe every day at shit I read on facebook. Not even just my friends and acquaintances, but sometimes shit they get into with others that I don't even know, yet I can read every bit of it sometimes with just a single click. A thousand times more true now that privacy on facebook is for shit now. And sometimes it's just a case of people being not very savvy when it comes to managing their accounts/what others see.

I had a younger extended family member (20) who finally decided to confront her deadbeat dad and unloaded all on facebook. Now, what she had to say didn't bother me or other family members anywhere near as much (because it was true, and I really couldn't blame her for how she felt) as the fact that she put it on facebook.

I've got easily 500 people on my list. Anything I get into on facebook, I do so with the knowledge that everyone and his fucking brother are gonna be privy to it. This includes extended family members, coworkers, my freaking grade school teachers FFS. Basically anyone I ever knew growing up and currently who also happens to have a facebook page.

If I really wanna let loose with a fuck-riddled rant that would throw my great aunt and my old nun teachers a coronary it'll be on a more anonymous forum. (in other words: That's what I have you guys for!)
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

So make lists where you subdivide workers/family/friends/etc.
    No-one has to see everything if you don't want them too.
    Free Charmed.

I don't trust Facebook's "subdivide". I can read posts from people I'm not even friends with. I don't quite get how it all works but it's not private in the least. Even if you make the effort to be more private, Facebook up and changes everything and you're exposed again.

When it comes to posting stuff on Facebook or Twitter, I follow this mantra:

and hell nawl, that is not me...

I have a career to think about, so there are a few FB posts from my wayward, slacker days that I regret and had to delete, because you never know who might be looking. We saw how a certain incoherent now banned poster from this site was caught posting stories onto white supremacist sites.

My Facebook isn't even in my real name. I think putting all this stuff into the public domain is freaky & attention-whorey & passive-aggressive most of the time. *shrug*

Eta: hahaha! Like it Hustle!
    Free Charmed.

Hey! I ain't no freaky attention whore!

It is kind of pointless. I use it mostly for out of state relatives (like my in laws) who like to see pics of the kiddo and her doings. Even then, I'm choosy about what I put up.

C'mon Cornnie! I'm English, I even apologise to inanimate objects when I walk into them! Anything that's "out there" is gon a be weird to us.

I like looking at my friends Photos, but it can make you feel like a stalker.....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I don't trust Facebook's "subdivide". I can read posts from people I'm not even friends with. I don't quite get how it all works but it's not private in the least. Even if you make the effort to be more private, Facebook up and changes everything and you're exposed again.
    I guess I don't either. I've got lists too, but I still assume that anything I put on there is fair game. Especially since facebook seems to take it upon itself to change things up quite frequently. More so than I have the time to devote to it. And since I'm mainly on facebook to keep up with family and friends who do not live close, or who I'm too busy to see as often as I'd like, I keep it pretty general. But hey, facebook has its place and is great for lots of stuff like the day my AC went out this summer: Bitched about it that eve on fb. Friendly acquaintance from nursing school posts me a phone number for a local repairman who's awesome. Saw it early the next morning, called him, he calls back, he's at my house an hour later...by 11am I had a working AC. And for pretty damned cheap! FB is part of the reason I got a job within 2 weeks of moving back here. Found a good orthopedic doc. The list goes on. There are definite advantages to having a regular daily connection to everyone I know.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    C'mon Cornnie! I'm English, I even apologise to inanimate objects when I walk into them! Anything that's "out there" is gon a be weird to us.

I like looking at my friends Photos, but it can make you feel like a stalker.....
    I know it does make you feel like a creepy stalker type, but damn I like pictures so I spend most of my time on facebook looking at pics
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    I know it does make you feel like a creepy stalker type, but damn I like pictures so I spend most of my time on facebook looking at pics
    Stalker!!!

And now you're post stalking me too!!!

*giggles*

*runs to a different thread*
    Free Charmed.

*follows Novice muahhhahahaha
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

*darts up the wooden hill to slumber-land*

Night Ang!
    Free Charmed.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information