Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Random freaky, potentially NSFL, things thread...

I think what's kind of ironic about TV sets changing channels is that most remotes use infrared signaling, which requires an unobstructed line of sight between the remote and the TV set. It's hard enough for someone 9 feet away from the tv set to change a channel. For it to happen with nobody else visibly in the room is pretty freaky.

The TV in my bedroom has turned back on by itself a few times, 2-3 minutes after I've turned it off at night. I'll settle in to go to sleep and suddenly hear voices and see light, and sure enough the TV is back on. My bedside touch lamp has also turned on by itself a few times throughout the years...
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think what's kind of ironic about TV sets changing channels is that most remotes use infrared signaling, which requires an unobstructed line of sight between the remote and the TV set. It's hard enough for someone 9 feet away from the tv set to change a channel. For it to happen with nobody else visibly in the room is pretty freaky.
    I have an app on my phone that lets me control my TV from anywhere in the house (2-story, long rectangular house). I have no idea why I would need this feature but it’s there, lol. I only got the app because the remote went MIA for a couple of days.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Before I changed out the ceiling fan in the bedroom, I'd wake up and it would be twirling merrily. I hadn't turned it on.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I have an app on my phone that lets me control my TV from anywhere in the house (2-story, long rectangular house). I have no idea why I would need this feature but it’s there, lol. I only got the app because the remote went MIA for a couple of days.
    I used to have a phone that had that ability built in, you just needed to program it to your particular TV and there was a screen that basically looked like a remote.

^^^ My son eats TV remotes, it's the only explanation. Either that or he's stuffing them in his book bag and selling them at school (is there a market for TV remotes in HS?). This specific app is made by the manufacturer (Sony Bravia) and all I had to do was download the app. It went through this little initialization, found the exact model of my TV and I can literally control everything from anywhere (I haven't tried to use it when not at home .... I have other things that I can control by apps that are on my wifi ... but wtf would the TV need that?). Unfortunately, I rarely use the Sony remote ... I use the Xfinity remote, which also lets me control the TV's volume, input, etc. But yeah, the Xfinity remote has walked off too. My son, the remote thief.
    Brookie likes this.

My son basically loses our wireless telephone hand sets. Because he's a big gamer, he takes a hand set into another room, and is on speaker phone with someone. Then, he loses it behind something, or between cushions. Now that he's on a headset, it doesn't happen as often. But he still owes me two hand sets.

I don't think most smart phones have IR ports. So, if you don't have one, you wouldn't be able to use a channel-changing app. Set top boxes from Verizion and Comcast/Infinity, I believe, are still strictly IR. But not your smart TV.
    Nevan likes this.

^^The phone I had was an Android, and I programmed it to work on the smart TV in my bedroom; we only have an antenna, no cable or satellite on that TV.

ETA: again, it wasn't an app I got for my phone, it was a function/option that was already programmed on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^The phone I had was an Android, and I programmed it to work on the smart TV in my bedroom; we only have an antenna, no cable or satellite on that TV.

ETA: again, it wasn't an app I got for my phone, it was a function/option that was already programmed on the phone.
    It looks like this capability is exclusively an Android thing and not all Androids. Here is the list of Android phones that supposedly have built-in IR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._an_IR_blaster

I think I had the LG Volt at the time, which is on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My son basically loses our wireless telephone hand sets. Because he's a big gamer, he takes a hand set into another room, and is on speaker phone with someone. Then, he loses it behind something, or between cushions. Now that he's on a headset, it doesn't happen as often. But he still owes me two hand sets.

I don't think most smart phones have IR ports. So, if you don't have one, you wouldn't be able to use a channel-changing app. Set top boxes from Verizion and Comcast/Infinity, I believe, are still strictly IR. But not your smart TV.
    I lose a lot of TV remotes to battery theft too, That's a gamer thing, lol. The only reason I don't lose handsets is because we don't have them.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information