Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Random freaky, potentially NSFL, things thread...

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This is a couple hanging out in a pool at night in Zimbabwe. At the :22 mark, you will see a crocodile creep up from the right and do his crocodile thing. Then, the boyfriend pulls an epic George Costanza. From what I've read, the woman got some big cuts on her shoulder and elbow but survived.

You're not kidding, that guy totally pulled a George Costanza. Eric the clown should have been there to stomp that croc with his big shoes.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'm guessing that relationship is done.
    MohandasKGanja and panic like this.

They had just met that evening, according to a description I read.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Chivalry is dead
    Beeyotch likes this.

And speaking of chivalry, there appears to be none between humans and lesser primates either:

Now, THIS is a firefight!

My daughter, of all people, told me about this guy. He shows up on Wiki and a bunch of other places as some kind of medical curiosity -- an awful, NSFL (or afterlife) eating monstrosity.

His name was Tarrare - he was French and lived in the late 1700's. And here are some random, horrific facts about him (you have been warned):

• Had an appetite so insatiable, his parents threw him out of the house in his teens. (not too bad there - some people probably identify)
    • Hooked up with street performers and would swallow corks, stones live animals, and a basketful of apples as part of his act
    • Joined the French military where doctors noticed his appetite and studied him - he ate a meal that was originally prepared for 15 people (it included two large meat pies, plates of grease and salt and four gallons of milk)
    • Ate the following animals live during the study by doctors - snakes, lizards, puppies. Ate a live eel whole, after crushing its head with his teeth first.
    • Normal size when you looked at him
    • Had kind of a lethargic personality
    • Speculated by doctors that he had a damaged amygdala, which can cause polyphagia (excessive hunger)
    • A military officer took advantage of his abilities by having him swallow a box with military secrets and then walk through enemy lines where he pooped it out later and gave it to the intended recipient.
    • For his courier service, Tarrare was rewarded with 30 pounds of raw bull's lungs and liver, which he ate in front of several generals.
    • He was captured by the enemy, imprisoned and released.
    • He ended up in a hospital, begging to be treated, but nothing worked. He ended up drinking from the bags of blood withdrawn from patients, and even raiding the mortuary. The last straw, though, was when a 14-month-old child disappeared. They didn't prove he did it, but he was thrown out of the hospital.
    • Eventually, he contracted tuberculosis and died in a hospital. The autopsy noted that when you opened his jaws, you could see straight into his stomach. He also had an abnormally large live and gallbladder.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My daughter, of all people, told me about this guy. He shows up on Wiki and a bunch of other places as some kind of medical curiosity -- an awful, NSFL (or afterlife) eating monstrosity.

His name was Tarrare - he was French and lived in the late 1700's. And here are some random, horrific facts about him (you have been warned):

Iron lungs in a polio ward, 1950. Society has a short memory.

I don't know if it was on this site or just out in the wild, but I read an interesting article about iron lungs. (I really feel like the article was here? Anyone know what I'm talking about?) There are still a few people who live in them only no one makes the replacement parts for the machines anymore. If the anti-vaxxers ever gained a little more traction, I guess there will be a market for them again. That aside, I cannot understand how people lived in those things.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Do you recall the story of the man in Texas still living in an iron lung well into his 70s?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/scie...sing-iron-lung

It is simple but effective: A big tube, a motor, a moving arm. As the paralyzed Dallas lawyer lies inside, his head protrudes from a velvety, airtight closure at one end, propped on a pillow on a height-adjusted table.
    Alexander has spent much of his life in a can, a childhood victim of a once-epidemic disease that menaced the nation and now leaves him at the mercy of a mechanical respirator. Though unable to move from the neck down, he refused to be limited by his metal prison, finding success in both the classroom and the courtroom.

More of his story at link above.

I don't think that was the story, but I remember that they were talking about how they almost have to wait sometimes for people to die to get the spare parts for the iron lungs. I really don't understand how people can physically live like that for decades though. It says a lot about the mind's need to survive.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Lightning bursting over erupting volcano Puyehue-Cordón Caulle, Chile.

My Panasonic flat-screen TV has switched channels 3 times this afternoon without me touching anything. Goes to previous channel. Once it stayed there, 2nd time it switched right back to MSNBC (I'm watching the Cohen testimony). Twilight zone stuff.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My TV periodically changes to Spanish language for no reason and I have to go into settings and change it back to English.
    Brookie likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information