Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Random cool shit

Elite Member

Meteorite retrieved from the outback

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/meteorite-retrieved-from-the-outback/ar-AAgqfyK?ocid=

AAP
    13 hrs ago

A 1.7 kilogram meteorite has been retrieved by a team of Perth researchers in the South Australian outback using a new 32-camera network, a light plane, quad bikes and a drone.

Planetary geologist Phil Bland hand-dug the meteorite from a 42cm-deep hole on New Year's Eve in a remote part of the lake bed hours before rain would have wiped away all trace of it.

(© ABC News) A 1.7 kilogram meteorite found in the outback is an example of material created during the early formation of the solar system, WA researchers say.

"We got there by the skin of our teeth," he said.

The meteorite fall was seen on November 27 by locals in William Creek and Marree, and captured by Desert Fireball Network cameras.

After analyzing the data, the researchers located the fall site in Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre but it then took three days to recover the meteorite.

Mechatronic engineer Jonathan Paxman said observations from the air were critical to finding the meteorite, which was in thick salt lake mud.

"The impact site had deteriorated quite considerably in recent rain, and as a result was quite hard to see from the ground," he said.

Professor Bland said the meteorite - thought to be a chondrite or stony meteorite - was an example of material created during the early formation of the solar system more than 4.5 billion years ago.

Watch the whole clip:

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Crows are simply amazing. Probably my favorite animal after dogs and pandas They are so smart and so entertaining. Ravens too.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Watch the whole clip:

I knew it would be a lab from the sound of it's tail. What a cutie.

Elite Member

California boy finds a 27-year-old message in a bottle

California boy finds a 27-year-old message in a bottle

Mental Floss
    Kirstin Fawcett 48 mins ago

Nearly 30 years ago, an elementary school student in Sacramento, California, wrote a letter, shoved it into an empty glass seltzer bottle, and tossed it into a neighboring body of water. In December, the mysterious missive sparked the curiosity of another young boy, who found the bottle near a river in Mendocino, California.

“Hi—My name is Chris. I am 10 yrs old + in the 5th grade,” the note read. “Call me when you find this to let me know where it floated to shore.” Chris also included his phone number, along with the date: September 5, 1988.

(© Mental Floss) California Boy Finds a 27-Year-Old Message in a Bottle

According to Inside Edition, 5-year-old Ryder Goggin and his mother, Heather Baird, were out walking when they discovered the bottle in the sand. Ryder was apparently “hoping it was a treasure map,” Baird told the news show. Instead, they found Chris’s perfectly preserved note tucked inside a plastic bag.

Ryder and his mother tried to honor the sender's wishes. They dialed the attached number, but found that it had been disconnected. Public records revealed that it had once been the phone line of a man named Cliff Farnsworth in 1981. However, the mother-son duo didn’t find any other documents yielding clues about Farnsworth’s identity or whereabouts.

Still, Ryder and his mom weren’t deterred, and hope to track down Chris, who would now be in his thirties. “I’d love to know where his life took him, and the circumstances behind him putting the bottle in the water,” Baird said.

*****UPDATE*****

Mystery Solved! Meet the Woman Who Wrote 27-Year-Old Message in Bottle Found on Beach

Mystery Solved! Meet the Woman Who Wrote 27-Year-Old Message in Bottle Found on Beach - Inside Edition

by Inside Edition 4:33 PM EST, January 6, 2016

The mystery has been solved!

INSIDE EDITION has tracked down the author of the decades-old message in a bottle that was found by a five-year-old boy and his mom last week.

Jan Popp says she hand-wrote the message for her son, Chris.

She told INSIDE EDITION: "We thought it would be fun to put a note in a bottle like you see on TV and throw it in the ocean and see what happens."

The message in a bottle was discovered last week by Heather Baird and her son, Ryder, while they walked on the beach in beautiful Mendocino, California.

The note said: “Hi my name is Chris. I am 10 years old and in the 5th grade. I live in Sacramento. Call me when you find this to let me know where it floated to shore.”

The note was dated September 5, 1988 and had a phone number.

The phone number on the message was disconnected long ago but John Lewis of the data analysis company Intellaeqis managed to track down the latest number for the owner.

He said: "When I called she immediately said: 'That was my son, wasn't it?' She knew and I texted her the picture and she said: 'I wrote that note.'"

Chris is 38 years old now, and sadly, he and his mom are estranged.

Jan said that if the message in a bottle brings them together to reconcile it would be like "winning the lottery. It would be better than that."

She added that she can't wait to meet the little boy and his mom who found their note after all these years.

"I think it is a really fun adventure for the little kid that found it," Jan said.
    panic likes this.

KrisNine likes this.

***** celeb

panic likes this.

***** celeb

The kid was 10 years old and couldn't write his own fucking letter?

lol ^^
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I love the baby who can read!! So cute.

***** celeb

***** celeb

***** celeb

^wtf?! why don't just steal the whole pie?

Elite Member

Ancient Egyptian boat discovered near pyramids

Ancient Egyptian boat discovered near pyramids

AFP
    11 hrs ago

(© AFP Photo) Archaeologists excavate a 4,000-year-old tomb which was discovered in Abusir on the outskirts of Cairo.

Czech archaeologists have unearthed an ancient funerary boat near the Abusir pyramids south of Cairo, officials said today, in a discovery that could shed light on shipbuilding in ancient Egypt.

The discovery of the more than 4,500-year-old remains of the wooden vessel, which archaeologists believe belonged to a prominent member of society, was made at the Abusir South cemetery, an antiquities ministry statement said.

While members of the team were clearing a mastaba or ancient tomb, they found parts of the 18-metre-long (59-foot) boat covered in sand and lying on a bed of stones, the ministry said.

"This is a highly unusual discovery since boats of such a size and construction were during this period reserved solely for top members of the society, who usually belonged to the royal family," the director of the Czech mission said in the statement.

The remains were found buried near the mastaba's southern wall, indicating the "extraordinary social position of the owner of the tomb", Miroslav Barta said.

The boat's length and pottery found with it shows that it could be from the end of the third or beginning of the fourth dynasty, the ministry said.

"The wooden planks were joined by wooden pegs that are still visible in their original position. Extraordinarily, the desert sand has preserved the plant fibre battens which covered the planking seams," it said.

"It is by all means a remarkable discovery," Barta said.

"The careful excavation and recording of the Abusir boat will make a considerable contribution to our understanding of ancient Egyptian watercraft and their place in funerary cult."

***** celeb

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information