Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racegoers' annual display of orange skin and clashing colours at Aintree

I love this thread!!

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I love the annual fashion disaster parade that is Aintree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    I so look forward to this thread every year!
    me too! i was so excited when i saw it!

Coleen Rooney pulls off sophisticated look for Ladies' Day at Aintree (but not everybody else followed suit...)

By Tamara Abraham
    Last updated at 3:29 PM on 9th April 2010She may be a footballer's WAG, but Coleen Rooney pulled off an elegant and sophisticated look for today's Ladies' Day at Aintree.
    In a black, fitted mini-shift dress with a high neckline and puffed, embellished sleeves, she bucked the trend for orange flesh, baring only her legs.
    She accessorised with an embellished clutch bag and favourite Christian Louboutin heels. Her hair was pulled back into a simple ponytail, while her make-up was kept simple save her smoky kohl-rimmed eyes.

Simple and sophisticated: Coleen Rooney arrived at Aintree today to judge the Ladies' Day Best Dressed competition in an elegant black mini dress and Christian Louboutin heels

Media storm: Photographers surrounded Coleen and her friend as they arrived at the famous racecourse
    The mother-of-one, who was hiding news that she was pregnant with her first child at last year's Grand National, is due to judge the annual Best Dressed competition.
    After causing a stir with her arrival, she joined friends on a balcony in a private enclosure to survey the competition entrants.

But given the outfits at the famous racecourse today, the 24-year-old will have a challenge finding a well-dressed person among them.

Nice work if you can get it: Coleen and friends survey the scene as Ladies' Day gets under way
    Yesterday saw acres of orange flesh, set off by clashing prints in every colour imaginable - and today's attempts were even worse.
    Big hats and big hair were the order of the day - but the style statements didn't stop there.

Bright prints met bright hair, and whether frocks were short or long, most featured ruffles to some degree.

Style statements, from left: A geometric-print jumpsuit was co-ordinated with a matching scarf; thigh-skimming frills with matching shoes and hair; is this lady going to the races or getting married?

Getting the blues: The colour may be in fashion, but here are three ways not to work the trend

While many of yesterday's dresses were fuchsia pink, today's hue of choice was blue. But while the colour is bang on trend, there were few examples of how to wear it right.
    Headdresses were mostly of the beribboned floral variety, all the better to display the brash highlights favoured by so many.

A few traditionalists did opt for hats, but those that did ensured they were big rather than beautiful.

Clash of the titans: Racegoers competed with one another to wear the brightest prints possible

Taking it to the maxi: Coleen will have trouble finding any well-dressed racegoers, let alone a best-dressed
    But it wasn't all bad news on the fashion front. Coleen's fellow WAG Sheree Murphy, who is married to footballer Harry Kewell, also made a safe fashion choice in black.
    Her dress, which featured a peplum waist, was teamed with Christian Louboutin heels - the same style as Coleen's, and a coveted Chanel chain-handle bag.
    Claire Sweeney was also among the celebrities track-side, making a brave fashion attempt in a turquoise asymmetric dress let down only by matching shoes.

Girls' day out: Bright prints met bright hair, and whether frocks were short or long, most featured ruffles

Double trouble: Demure knee-length skirts did not save these racegoers from making fashion faux pas

While fashionistas found little to like at Ladies' Day, racing pundit John McCririck had nothing but praise for his fellow racegoers.
    He said: 'The Merseyside totty believe in flaunting themselves and it is tremendous, not like at Royal Ascot with their haute couture and the toffs and the designer outfits.

'They have much more curvaceous bodies here and are magnificent especially with the sunshine coming out.

Hat's entertainment: Racegoers went for either big hats or big hair - some even attempted both
    'Ladies' Day has taken over from the horses. It's not like in the south, here they have proper voluptuous bodies.'
    Asked if he is ever tempted to use his charm on the young ladies, he said: 'Girls have often said they have never seen a body like mine which is certainly very true - but they are very tempted.
    'I have to keep the booby [his nickname for his wife] away from here,' he added. 'She is old now and her body is sagging.'

Star turns: Claire Sweeney's asymmetric turquoise number was let down by matching shoes; Sheree Murphy, right, went for a chic black dress and Christian Louboutins like Coleen, accessorising with a Chanel bag

Read more: Grand National 2010: Coleen Rooney pulls off sophisticated look for Ladies' Day at Aintree (but not everybody else followed suit...) | Mail Online

and a lovely image gallery here too: Ladies' Day fashions at Aintree Racecourse in pictures - Telegraph
    and here: Ladies Day at the races - NewsTimes
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; April 9th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

How did that one footballer's wife get in that looks bathed and decent? She sneak by someone? (I like her black dress and shoes, very nice.)
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

LOL, it's a Klassy Doo-Dah parade.

`Some of the pics are the same but there's also new ones.
    Aintree's racing colours: Wall-to-wall cleavage, fabulous frocks and extraordinary hats

By Jan Moir
    Last updated at 1:01 AM on 10th April 2010

Oh ye gods of fashion, you who favour the discreet charm of the little black dress, avert your gaze now.
    Let the rest of us sit back and enjoy the most tattisplendiferous highlight of the annual sporting calendar; the style extravaganza that is Ladies Day at Aintree.
    Just look at these fillies. Aren't they fabulous? Never let it be said that the women of Liverpool do not add greatly to the gaiety of the nation.

Label ladies: There's a Cavalli frock (left) and a Pucci (right)

Every year these girls brave the goosebumps to parade around the racecourse in their finery.

There is always, as fashion editors tactfully note, an interesting mixture of looks. Not all of them entirely work.
    Of course, some ladies on show are le dernier cri in demure tailoring with matching hats and contrasting trim. They are called uniformed policewomen.

Flirty skirt: Friends show off tanned legs, left, and two Diane Von Furstenbergs and a D&G (right)

In the pink: Racegoers wore ruffled dresses in hot pink and thigh-skimming floral

Bright sparks: Spring colours including baby pink, lilac and canary yellow were popular

Elsewhere it is all about brilliant colour, feathers, sequins, spots and stripes - sometimes all in the one outfit.
    Yesterday saw acres of orange flesh, set off by clashing prints in every colour imaginable - and today's attempts were even worse.
    Big hats and big hair were the order of the day - but the style statements didn't stop there.

Bright prints met bright hair, and whether frocks were short or long, most featured ruffles to some degree.
    Stretching from the winner's enclosure to the busiest bar is an unavoidable festival of flesh. Wherever you look, there is wall-to-wall cleavage.

Hemlines and hats: Some of the high points included a woman with a bouquet of flowers on her head

Style statements, from left: A geometric-print jumpsuit was co-ordinated with a matching scarf; thigh-skimming frills with matching shoes and hair; is this lady going to the races or getting married?

Getting the blues: The colour may be in fashion, but here are three ways not to work the trend
    In their preparation to go to the ball the women move as one, like migrating flamingos, around the local hairdressers and tanning salons.

There, beauticians set the bronzing spray to cheeky chestnut, blast an Elnett-shaped ozone hole in the skies above Liverpool and send their charges home to get dressed before the first race starts.
    While many of yesterday's dresses were fuchsia pink, today's hue of choice was blue. But while the colour is bang on trend, there were few examples of how to wear it right.

Clash of the titans: Racegoers competed with one another to wear the brightest prints possible

Taking it to the maxi: Fashion critics will have trouble finding any well-dressed racegoers, let alone a best-dressed
    Headdresses were mostly of the beribboned floral variety, all the better to display the brash highlights favoured by so many.

A few traditionalists did opt for hats, but those that did ensured they were big rather than beautiful.
    But it wasn't all bad news on the fashion front. Coleen Rooney's fellow WAG Sheree Murphy, who is married to footballer Harry Kewell, also made a safe fashion choice in black.

Girls' day out: Bright prints met bright hair, and whether frocks were short or long, most featured ruffles

Double trouble: Demure knee-length skirts did not save these racegoers from making fashion faux pas

Her dress, which featured a peplum waist, was teamed with Christian Louboutin heels - the same style as Coleen's, and a coveted Chanel chain-handle bag.
    Claire Sweeney was also among the celebrities track-side, making a brave fashion attempt in a turquoise asymmetric dress let down only by matching shoes.

Hat's entertainment: Racegoers went for either big hats or big hair - some even attempted both

Star turns: Claire Sweeney's asymmetric turquoise number was let down by matching shoes; Sheree Murphy, right, went for a chic black dress and Christian Louboutins like Coleen, accessorising with a Chanel bag

While fashionistas found little to like at Ladies' Day, racing pundit John McCririck had nothing but praise for his fellow racegoers.
    He said: 'The Merseyside totty believe in flaunting themselves and it is tremendous, not like at Royal Ascot with their haute couture and the toffs and the designer outfits.

Understated: Coleen Rooney's Matthew Williamson dress looked elegant and classy, while a fellow race-goer aims to stand out from the crowd in a green Cavalli number

'They have much more curvaceous bodies here and are magnificent especially with the sunshine coming out.
    'Ladies' Day has taken over from the horses. It's not like in the south, here they have proper voluptuous bodies.'

Your majesty? One masked racegoer aimed to be the Queen of Aintree

Asked if he is ever tempted to use his charm on the young ladies, he said: 'Girls have often said they have never seen a body like mine which is certainly very true - but they are very tempted.
    'I have to keep the booby [his nickname for his wife] away from here,' he added. 'She is old now and her body is sagging.'
    But whatever Mr McCririck's opinion, they're off! The girls pull on those gorgeous designer outfits of every size and shape, climb aboard their skyscraper shoes and head for their brilliant day in the sun at Aintree.
    Over the three-day racing festival, where 150,000 racegoers are expected to down 7,000 bottles of champagne, 75,000 cups of tea and 5,000 cocktails, the womenfolk will enjoy the fun of a serious frock, an afternoon in the sun with friends and a tumbler or two of Lambrini. Cheers, girls!

Revellers sit among the rubbish left at Aintree racecourse at the end of the day

A racegoer, who looks slightly worse for wear, attempts to get up after finding herself sitting on the ground

Source: Aintree's racing colours: Wall-to-wall cleavage, fabulous frocks and extraordinary hats | Mail Online

-------------------------------------

More at the Telegraph now than there were before too. New ones start here Ladies' Day fashions at Aintree Racecourse in pictures - Telegraph
    12 pics in the Guardian's slideshow: Ladies' Day at Aintree | Life and style | guardian.co.uk
    BBC also has a slideshow with 29 pics: BBC - In pictures: Aintree Ladies Day at Grand National
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; April 9th, 2010 at 09:04 PM.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Be still my heart! So chavtastically dragalicious! So delightfully trashy! I'm in heaven!!!

These 3?

They should be thrown out for ruining the Aintree spirit and daring to be demure. No loud prints, nothing is falling out of the dress, they don't even look drunk yet--pfft! Booooring!!!

*eta: I NEED to find myself a fabulous fascinator to wear around the house! Off to the milliner's!
    Last edited by Beeyotch; April 9th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Said it before and I'll say it again - this is KLASSY compared to what you will see falling out of the clubs in Liverpool on a Saturday night. You really should see some of the clothes shops in St John's Shopping Centre - if its neon pink lyrcra with ruffles that you want then that is the place to go.

Hmm, I bet that stuff would go fabulously with my Urban Decay purple glitter eyeliner I just bought...

How can one small event withstand the onslaught of such copious amounts of sheer unadulterated beauty? I swear this one is Noel Gallagher in drag:
    And this:
    Is my new favorite pic ever.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again - this is KLASSY compared to what you will see falling out of the clubs in Liverpool on a Saturday night. You really should see some of the clothes shops in St John's Shopping Centre - if its neon pink lyrcra with ruffles that you want then that is the place to go.

Some Liverpool girls have a PHD in how to look like tacky wotsits!
    Less is class is more

I'm sorry, is there not one person in britain that is not fucking hideous?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm sorry, is there not one person in britain that is not fucking hideous?
    Grimm, do you not get these people make the news for a reason? Coz it's not the norm to look like that!

White trash at its finest!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    You really should see some of the clothes shops in St John's Shopping Centre - if its neon pink lyrcra with ruffles that you want then that is the place to go.
    Plan for real life GR reunion:

1. Go shopping with Kittylady
    2. Get spray tan in 'Hawaiian Sunset'
    3. then we all get tanked and go undercover at Aintree.

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information