Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Normal Barbie uses real women's measurements

I loved Skipper, and collect them now. I have about fifteen of them. As a kid, I never had Barbie. I had Tammy and Skipper, and Tutti and Chris. Oh and lots of trolls. I really preferred baby dolls.

I can't even focus on the dolls, that swimsuit is so horrible.

I was never much of a girly girl, but I always had Barbies - good lord the scandalous soap operas we made up for them! Something I regret to this day (and I know I shouldn't, because I was a 10 year old dumbass) is when my mom gave me for Christmas a collection of slightly used handmade Barbie clothes, and I poo-poohed them because they weren't the brand new cheap nylon made in China pieces of junk that came in a pink box, like all my friends had. They were really spectacular looking, but they weren't NEW, and I was a jerk. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I can't even focus on the dolls, that swimsuit is so horrible.
    I wondered if they'd run out of plastic for the crotch area so decided to use a strawberry.
    sputnik likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The reason why the original Barbie measurements are so small is that she is meant to be seen wearing clothes and fabric looks significantly bigger in proportion to the doll on a small scale. Mind you, pretty much everyone I know took off Barbie's clothes the first chance they got.

I'm personally sick as hell of the patronizing notion that if a little girl sees a thin, blonde, pretty Barbie and she herself doesn't look that way, she's in for a lifetime of low self-esteem and poor body image. It's why I can't stand those insipid Dove commercials about "true beauty" and "real women". I think I can handle seeing a beautiful model on a billboard or a cute doll without immediately slitting my wrists because someone is prettier than me. The whole attitude that girls need to be protected in that way incredibly insulting. If anything, it's actually more warped because it implies that your looks, or how you perceive them, absolutely must be tied to your self esteem. As if everybody bases their self worth on largely on superficial factors.

And now for the obligatory argument of I never see anyone complaining that the men in shaving commercials are too good-looking or GI Joe is unrealistically muscular. With this I end my rant.
    Bunraku, Laurent, Sleuth and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Baha, I remember Barbie had another friend (sister?) too, early on, but I can't remember her name. She didn't have the flat feet like Skipper. Ok, found it: P.J, and Midge, those are the ones I can remember. Here is a list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nds_and_family
    I had Cheerleader Jazzie from the late 80's whose feet were flat. She is Barbie's cousin.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I had Cheerleader Jazzie from the late 80's whose feet were flat. She is Barbie's cousin.
    I had never heard of her! My mom is actually in the process of shipping me all of my old Barbies, I think most of them are missing feet (one of my cats liked to chew on them).

Normal Barbie has cankles *gasp*
    Brookie likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    The reason why the original Barbie measurements are so small is that she is meant to be seen wearing clothes and fabric looks significantly bigger in proportion to the doll on a small scale. Mind you, pretty much everyone I know took off Barbie's clothes the first chance they got.

I'm personally sick as hell of the patronizing notion that if a little girl sees a thin, blonde, pretty Barbie and she herself doesn't look that way, she's in for a lifetime of low self-esteem and poor body image. It's why I can't stand those insipid Dove commercials about "true beauty" and "real women". I think I can handle seeing a beautiful model on a billboard or a cute doll without immediately slitting my wrists because someone is prettier than me. The whole attitude that girls need to be protected in that way incredibly insulting. If anything, it's actually more warped because it implies that your looks, or how you perceive them, absolutely must be tied to your self esteem. As if everybody bases their self worth on largely on superficial factors.

And now for the obligatory argument of I never see anyone complaining that the men in shaving commercials are too good-looking or GI Joe is unrealistically muscular. With this I end my rant.
    I've never really thought about it that way. I like the points you made. Interesting.
    Rusalka likes this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Normal Barbie has cankles *gasp*
    More like Butch Barbie... they could have at least used some normal woman as a protptype. But they decided just to make her short and impaled.

The first Barbie must have been based on one of those...

I had a Stacey doll and wish I still did. She had freckles, fer chrissakes. I had to have her since that's my first name, too, and spelled that way. It was very odd to find anything with my name, let alone the "correct" spelling, when I was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I know that I said it on another thread, but I love the Dove True Beauty ads/billboards. Out in suburbia, and in the working world, the women I typically see have these dimensions, and they look great. Most of them are working and raising kids and don't have time, or a realistic reason, to make a meal out of a cotton ball soaked in orange juice.

My issue isn't that they use larger models, it's that they make a big show out of it. It wouldn't bug me if they just used those models, period, without screaming the message "don't worry, you can be pretty too!!!" If they believe "normal" women are beautiful why not just use them in a regular campaign? Is it really necessary to explain that they're beautiful too? That's insulting to both the models and the consumer.

Advertisers should show, not tell. If they're so concerned about our fragile self-esteems, a plus-size model on a billboard next to a billboard with Giselle would do more good if no special attention were drawn to it. If it were just there with no implication that it's in any way out of place. By making an ad with "normal" women and shouting about how even if you look like them you can still be beautiful, they're already implying a) that if you look like them, you don't fit the typical idea of beautiful; b) you don't think you're beautiful and must be convinced; and c) you need constant reassurance that you're beautiful to get through the day.
    MmeVertigina and Tati like this.

^ Can't like this enough.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information