Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: To my, like, totally OLD friends at GR

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^ So what do we think happened in the 90's and after?
    The Internet,violent video games, things handed to you without working or deserving them.

I remember playing outside, filling old dish detergent bottle with water and chasing each other around, having so much fun.
    And we had great Imaginations!

^^ So what do we think happened in the 90's and after?
    I think it became economically unfeasible for one parent to stay home. With both parents working and generally in some sort of competition over whose turn it was to do something or who worked harder or longer, the adults stopped paying attention to the kids. We've become a win at all costs society so parents really only care these days about the results, not the process or the effort. There's no time to just go out and climb a tree for the kids, they have to be winning in a sport or a club...so after this very broad overgeneralization and very long diatribe, what happened is competition.
    shedevilang likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

This is the one that stood out for me.

On a serious note, the world really has changed. My friend who was born in 1967 has two daughters aged 10 and 7. He walks them to school which is four blocks away and their babysitter picks them up after school. They will never be able to walk home from school even when the older one turns 14. (It's NYC but are the suburbs even safe these days)?

My favorite story that I must have mentioned here before was when my mother was driving me over to her friends house when I was six or 8 months old. She put me in one of those baby seats that you can place on top of the kitchen table or floor - the chair sat ON the front seat in the car. She was driving and stopped short and I tumbled onto the floor on the dirty rubber foot mat.
    When I was a kid (about 5), not only was I in the front seat, I was STANDING in the front seat. Ironically, a couple of decades later, a coworker showed up at work one day, dazed, and said he was right behind a car accident. When he got out, one of the guys kept saying, "Where is my son? Where is my son?" People didn't know what he was talking about at first, but soon discovered his boy had literally been catapulted out the front windshield and into the woods, where they later found his body. I remembered thinking that could have been me when I was a little kid.

The other thing we loved to do was play hooky. We went to the movie theatre when were 11. Can a good and responsible kid even play hooky now? Can a kid forge a parent's signature on an excuse note? It must all be done by email or something?
    Theoretically, you could do that at my kids' school. They would just have to fill out the "A Note from Home" forms that the school gives parents every year and say why they wouldn't be in school that day. Then, put it in the pocket of their take-home folder where notes and homework being returned to school is stored.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    The Internet,violent video games, things handed to you without working or deserving them.
    My son is allowed to play a pretty violent game, but only on the weekend. Most of the time, though, he is playing Minecraft, which is turning out to be one of the most creative and inventive games I've ever seen. This morning, he and his sister were mining for coal so that they could forge iron ore they found into ingots and make metal tools. And he had already mined some other metal that lets you create electrical circuits with throw switches, so that he could create a remote door-opener for the underground fort he built. It's not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    When I was a kid (about 5), not only was I in the front seat, I was STANDING in the front seat.

When I got my driver's license, in 1989, I would put my brother and his friends in the back of a pick up truck, then drive around town hitting the dips as hard as I could to see how high they would fly out of the truck bed. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Then there is children's programming. Remember when we were kids there was about 2 hours of kid's programming in the afternoon and maybe 4 hours on Saturday morning? That's all we got. Now kid's can watch cartoons 24/7 if they want. No need to go outside an entertain yourself.
    You had Sat morning cartoons, 3-5pm after school, which was occassionally occupied by the "after school special." My kids could give a shit about Sat morning cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    70s/80s kid here. We only had 3 channels on TV and I remember when we got Atari. We got 1 game which we played the hell out of it until next Christmas when we MIGHT get another.
    When I was a kid, you got toys on your birthday, Christmas, and Easter. If a new toy came out, no one rushed out to buy it. I do the same with my kids. The new XBox game came out. Great, put it on your Christmas list.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Weeell,in my time kids were everybody,s business.We will roam out all day at all weather and our mother,s friends around our house kept monitoring our comings and goings.They were free with a slap and a bout of yelling too if they saw it was fitting.We couldnt run home and complain that mrs so and so beat us..we will probably get more..Long as there was food at a table,no kid would go hungry.Women always left a tray of fresh meatballs they just fried for the' hood,s kids.And every afternoon women will gather at a veranda for coffee,bring green beans to be cleaned or shelled and talk .laugh and gossip.Therapists be damned,they all came back home for dinner ,relaxed and happy..no money ,most families dirt poor,but such a great sense of trust and security.that is what i miss the most.
    Well for all the crap I have to deal with(I mean idiotic babtist bullcrap) my town is still like this. My son rode his bike to the store a while back and came home all pissed because the little lady up the rode yelled at him to get out of the street. I said well you shouldn't have been riding in the street dumbass! Then again me and my bestie took about 20 kids out weekend before last toilet papering houses (we made sure that we only hit people who would find it funny and then we called them and told them but the kids didn't know that lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    When I got my driver's license, in 1989, I would put my brother and his friends in the back of a pick up truck, then drive around town hitting the dips as hard as I could to see how high they would fly out of the truck bed. Good times.

You had Sat morning cartoons, 3-5pm after school, which was occassionally occupied by the "after school special." My kids could give a shit about Sat morning cartoons.

When I was a kid, you got toys on your birthday, Christmas, and Easter. If a new toy came out, no one rushed out to buy it. I do the same with my kids. The new XBox game came out. Great, put it on your Christmas list.
    OMG My brother used to do that too! My skinny ass almost bounced out, he'd have had a hard time explaining that shit to mom lol!
    Last edited by shedevilang; December 19th, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbass
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information