Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kid high after dentist trip

If kids are supposed to be so rough and tough, no one should be shitting their pants if a kid experiences a few minutes of altered consciousness. Hell, it was probably a learning experience for him. If not, then it was pretty much like waking up groggy and confused from a dream.

To imply the kid should have to tough out a painful procedure just because he might get "high" afterward reeks of the War on Drugs fear mongering.

Besides, getting high isn't the worst thing in the world! LOL

His dad sounds cute .

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    ^ erm, I was expounding on the differences between Europe and the US? as in, our cars have gear shifts, our penises have foreskins etc?

Yeah, cars here have gear shifts too, unless you opt for automatic....that comment was just odd to me. And ManxSpouse is intact, though he IS British.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N618fLxQP6w[/youtube]

I personally can't believe there was such an uproar if the kid got a drug to chill out during the procedure. Would you prefer he be wrestling around, screaming bloody murder, and likely making things worse because he could feel everything?

Is loopy dental kid video funny — or disturbing?

Father calls YouTube hit of his disoriented young son ‘an isolated incident’

By Michael Inbar

TODAYShow.com contributor
    updated 10:21 a.m. ET, Thurs., March. 26, 2009

If young David DeVore’s loopy, out-of-body ramblings while feeling the effects of a dentist’s anesthesia were a prime-time TV show, he would land squarely in the Top 10 — between “60 Minutes” and “Grey’s Anatomy.” But the parents of the 8-year-old viral video sensation say they realize there’s a fine line between cuteness and exploitation.
    Little David became the talk of the town after a flip-phone video his dad — also named David DeVore — shot of the boy, then 7, acting dazed after he got a tooth pulled, was posted on YouTube. Some 16 million people watched with amusement as David struggles to get his bearings, asking his father, “Is this real life?” and “I feel funny, why is this happening to me?”
    While the amusing video has taken on a life of its own — spawning countless YouTube parodies and imitators, getting David a trip to Disney World, and even earning him advertising revenue — David’s dad told TODAY Thursday he understands criticism in some circles that the video should have been kept in the family.

‘A bit shocking’
    “We certainly understand the reaction,” DeVore, appearing along with his son and wife Tessie, told Matt Lauer. “As dedicated parents, we actually appreciate that. But this is an isolated incident, this is something that our family thought was OK, and it was a bit shocking that so many people saw it afterward. But after we settled down we were fine with it.”

The young star of the hit “David After Dentist” YouTube video appeared on TODAY flanked by his parents, Tessie and David DeVore.

DeVore told Lauer the video sprang from a desire to keep his wife linked into the life of their son while he underwent surgery to remove a bothersome extra tooth. Tessie works, so the stay-at-home dad wanted to capture every moment of his son’s life.
    Thus, some 25 minutes after David came to after getting his tooth yanked, dad turned the camera phone on his son so he could send his wife an update.
    “It was a big deal, it was his first surgery and my wife couldn’t be there,” DeVore explained.
    Some seven months after the May 2008 surgery, DeVore posted the video on Facebook for his friends’ and family’s amusement. But when the requests to see the footage became overwhelming, he posted it on YouTube — and missed hitting the privacy function.
    Just three days later, 3 million people had already seen what the DeVores had believed was a cute, intimate moment in their family.
    Crossing the line?
    While second-grader David has reveled in the attention — saying “I feel like a rock star!” — some have slammed his parents for displaying their child under the influence. Chicago Sun-Times columnist Mary Mitchell was especially critical, writing, “Videos of children on drugs cross the line — in fact, officials with child welfare agencies should be concerned.”
    But David’s mother Tessie told TODAY that the naysayers need to lighten up, pointing to a poll that showed 67 percent of respondents believed the family was not in the wrong for posting the video. And she says her son is just a product of a new age of embarrassment.

“For me, it’s a naked baby picture; for his generation, it will be the funny videos from when they were kids,” she said. “And I hope when he gets married, we’ll play this video and others, all rolling on the floor laughing.”
    For his part, David is already on his 16th minute of fame — he’s moved on from his moment in the sun. “My friends thought it was funny at first, but then they stopped talking about it,” he told Lauer.
    Dad DeVore told Lauer the video sensation has “been a very positive experience for our family,” and said he believes his son’s disjointed ramblings actually hit on a larger truth that people have embraced.
    “What really piqued everyone’s interest are the profound things he says in the video: ‘Is this real life? Why is this happening to me?’ ” he told TODAY. “I think it struck a chord — it’s kind of what we are going through as a society.”

Is loopy dental kid video funny — or disturbing? - TODAY People- msnbc.com

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

My biggest problem with it as that the dad kept asking his son if he felt good, like he was proud and happy that his young son was high. I believe he had every intention of posting the video on youtube, and that's why he had the camcorder in the first place. Frankly, I think that's borderline exploitation, although I do see the harmlessness in it.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

A*O

^^^ Agree. The dad knew his kid would be wired and had the camcorder handy just in case. Note that the car isn't moving so Daddy Dearest can record every precious moment. Asshole.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

for fuck's sake. people really do make a big deal out of nothing.
    in my family, we still laugh about my sister's laughing gas trip when she was little. and if we'd had a video camera handy, believe me, one of my parents would have filmed it, it was bloody hilarious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

When I was having some dental work done when I was 16-17, the doctor answered the phone and forgot about me for about 15 minutes. i was high as a kite by the time he came back, but most other times when I've had laughing gas used on me, it hasn't been nearly this, erm, effective
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I've never had any laughing gas...but after listening to this kid I think I'd like to.

I think it's fucking stupid to post a video or picture of your kid on the internet PERIOD. I don't post my picture for security reasons, and that rule is doubly true for my kids.

The video made me uncomfortable, the kid was clearly disconcerted by the experience ... dad didn't need a new video, or internet fame. Best just tend to your kid.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    His dad sounds cute .
    i hate when the voice is deceiving.

give me a break, i was on some serious painkillers after i got my first 4 teeth yanked and my parents thought it was hilarious. I stared at a dollar coin for like an hour cuz it was shiny.

If they had a camera, it would have been reviewed at least once a year for the fun of it.

Get yer panties untwisted, jesus.. nobody has a sense of humor anymore.

If your kid does something stupid like walk into a pole, or fall on his face, you fucking laugh and then make them feel better.

I suppose 8 years of America's Funniest Home Videos was just the height of horror for all of you? (not counting Bob Saget's jokes)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information