Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Best blog EVAR! People of WalMart

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

did i ever mention the time i went to a Walmart in Kingman, AZ - man that was like stepping into an episode of the Twilight Zone......

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    did i ever mention the time i went to a Walmart in Kingman, AZ - man that was like stepping into an episode of the Twilight Zone......
    I've been to that one. Wasn't as bad as the one in Pinetop, AZ Mountain people take it to a whole new level.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

lol

A*O

Only in America. I still can't decide if these people are mentally ill or think it's OK to venture out in public looking like this. I'm not germophobic but I'd have to take a bottle of Spray N Wipe before I touched the shopping cart handle, let alone the merchandise these freaks go near.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have to wonder what the extent of mental illness is here. I mean, how can you think its okay to go out in public that way? I remember studying in my core-requirement psychology class in college that we develop a mental block for peeing and pooping ourselves once we advance past childhood. Even if we wanted to, these things would be hard for us to do now because our brain sends out a huge message: THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT.

Which seems like something that should be happening here. DEAR GOD, WHY ISN'T IT HAPPENING!?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I never learned anything about this shit in college/grad school. However, working with kids from lower SES households made me aware that certain appearances/behaviors etc are normal and accepted. Think of it this way - assuming that you are a middle class person, think of how you imagine extremely wealthy people to look, whether it's Italian suits and designer dresses or all prepped out at the country club or perfectly made up and dressed all the time or whatever. You don't expect yourself to look like that, and you don't care if you're out in public and one of those wealthy upper class people sees you and doesn't like that you're wearing jeans or that you don't have on any makeup etc. In the circles you run, what you wear is fine and it's too bad if Mrs. Snob doesn't like it.

Well, it's the same attitude with these folks where we are concerned. Being massive and lumpy and horrifyingly underdressed and ridiculous and dirty is fine in the circles they live in, and if Mrs. Middle Class doesn't like it, too bad.

We all tend to focus on & adhere to the norms in our own families/communities or 'class' so to speak, and we compartmentalize away the norms of others because it doesn't pertain to us. I'm not saying that every person who looks like these people is poor, but rather that wherever it is that they come from, they're somewhat normal. So my theory is that no, they don't realize how ridiculous they look to others. They think they look perfectly fine. Except for some here & there who just don't get it even though their friends & family are horrified. Like the people on What Not to Wear before they have their makeovers.
    Last edited by Lobelia; May 15th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hmm, good insight, Lobes.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I did therapy with a 13 year-old girl years ago. She & her mom are probably on the wal-mart site somewhere, riding scooters because they're mobidly obese. Mom had the girl totally convinced that only prissy snooty people cared if their hair was fixed or if their clothes matched. This girl was always filthy and when I talked to her about it (it was a huge factor in her interactions with others) she always dismissed it, saying that she wasn't going to be one of those people who worried all the time if they had a little spot on their clothes. Meanwhile, she smelled terrible, was dressed like a homeless person, and had old nasty food stains and dirt (and the smell of mildew) on her clothes.

This girl was a big lesson to me in how people can have radically different perspectives of the same event. It's all about what you believe and what you choose to see.
    Last edited by Lobelia; May 15th, 2011 at 01:06 PM.

These heifers probably think they are sexay as a motherfucker.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Ok. It was a little cool here today & I had on yoga pants and a sweatshirt. Needed to run to the store and took the time to put on a pair of jeans because my ass feels a little exposed when wearing yoga pants. Seems a little silly of me after seeing the above picture.

Not even spanx could hold that gal in.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Lobes nailed it right on the head. I (partly) grew up in this sort of Wal-Mart land and it's true. It's largely due to poverty and the lower socio-economic class expectations that come with it. The norm is kind of lowered to that standard. People don't have the money or motivation to care about their appearance and if nobody else around them cares, why should they?

I do, however, draw the line at being filthy. If you're not homeless and have running water, it's really the least you can do, the least amount of pride and self-respect I think people should have. But coming from nothing and seeing most people around you not doing anything different makes you think this is normal and not a big deal.

I suddenly feel very sheltered
    Do it anyway

Thread Information