Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: A Bee In Her Bonnet-NSFL

She literally had "Bug eyes"

So how did sweat bees end up camping out in a woman’s eye? He suspects it all started the previous day. As He recounted in the news conference, she was taking part in the Qingming Festival, also known as Tomb Sweeping Day.
    “I was visiting and tidying a relative’s grave with my family," He recently told reporters. “I was squatting down and pulling out weeds.”
    As CTS News reported, He said she felt something get in her eye. Thinking it was only dirt, she cleaned her eye out with water and did not rub her eyes much for the rest of the day. She didn’t think much of it until her eyes began to swell up that night and she experienced a stinging pain that made her tear up.
    It would have been very likely for sweat bees to be around He at the time, Hung told reporters, *****as they tend to nest near graves and in the mountains.*****

NO MORE Grave robbing for me!!!!
    Brookie and BITTER like this.

Here is a short video (not too gross) of the woman's eye with the sweat bees. Even though they're tiny ... 3-4mm ... looking at the picture of her eye, it's hard to imagine that you couldn't see them with even a 5x magnified mirror. Sometimes I get a lash in my eye like every one else, but I always check with a magnified mirror ... I guess because of this story, I'll be a bit more obsessive about it now. And wouldn't you feel them if you were rubbing your eye?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...e-orig-mss.cnn

Bitter, you and I have discussed the lotus seed breast picture before. I've also been diagnosed with OCD (I'm more O than C ... obsessive thinking kills me) and like I said, I still have nightmares about that picture sometimes. It's so weird because I KNOW that the photo is fake, but the OCD brain grabs onto disturbing images and spins them around repeatedly.
    Brookie and BITTER like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Bitter, you and I have discussed the lotus seed breast picture before. I've also been diagnosed with OCD (I'm more O than C ... obsessive thinking kills me) and like I said, I still have nightmares about that picture sometimes. It's so weird because I KNOW that the photo is fake, but the OCD brain grabs onto disturbing images and spins them around repeatedly.
    I remember...I feel your pain and I think obsessively about certain things as well. And I'm too poor to be eccentric, I can only be crazy...
    Nevan and mostroop like this.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

Sorry to hijack, but: Can I ask about obtrusive thoughts? What qualifies as OCD? I can usually deal and ignore them as they pop in my head during the day, mainly by distracting myself, keeping busy. But at night, I've always been someone who can't turn off their brain, and it takes me forever to fall asleep. More than an hour if I'm sober.

Ever since having my kid I keep having these terrible intrusive thoughts, like worst-case, .0001% possible scenarios involving him dying, injured, kidnapped, molested, tortured, etc. Is there anything that doctors can prescribe for that? I have to vape (THC) to sleep. It's so disturbing and I know it's crazy and I hate it.

^^^ That does sound like OCD symptoms, but everyone's OCD is different. Anxiety disorder also causes obsessive negative thinking, but the disturbing images are definitely an OCD thing. Most people that have OCD also suffer from anxiety/panic (I would think all since OCD is considered an anxiety disorder), so sometimes it's hard to separate them. A psychiatrist would definitely be able to tell you for sure, IMHO while dealing with this illness and reading up on frequently, your inability to get rid of the awful, intrusive thoughts within a reasonable time is definitely OCD-ish.

I think I've always had OCD (and anxiety) since I was little, but certain events in my life have made it worse or triggered a larger episode and it's very clear now that I have OCD. I was diagnosed by one doctor as having Pure O, which is OCD with only the obsessive part, but I know that's false as I DO have some compulsive behaviors, they're just easier to control than the obsessive ones for me. Well, maybe not control, but it doesn't seem to affect my life so much. For instance, I DO wash my hands a lot more than the average person and I get into spurts of time (maybe for 2-3 days to a week) where I'm checking the locks, the windows, the security system more than once or twice. I can get that under control (except the hand washing, that's a full time thing) quicker and easier. But everyone is different.

There are a few types of drugs and CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) that they use to help with the symptoms, but I've always been told that OCD is incurable. I was abused as a child and OCD is common in that group of people (so is anxiety/panic). They've found it in both genetic and environmental factors. What's interesting is that when I flew by wiki to make sure I wasn't giving bad information, I read that ERP (aka exposure response therapy) is used as one of the first therapies. My therapist taught me this years ago to deal with phobias and panic things (she called it immersion therapy) and it truly works for me whenever I try it. I've never tried it with OCD, but it's interesting to me that that type of therapy is used for OCD, just because it's something I know how to do well and it's worked in the past.

For me, anxiety and panic are way more in control of my brain than OCD. In fact, there are certain things that actually soothe my OCD. It's hard to explain but I'm not having an OCD attack but I'll watch or see something that I am literally drawn to and almost mesmerized by that I'll let continue because it soothes me. One of those things is watching certain YouTube videos about manufacturing plants/mechanical (there are many other things too). It's the repetitiveness that lulls me. I remember when I was little, I would get mesmerized by the equalizer bars on my dad's really extreme stereo. I can't explain it. I also think it helped me in certain subjects and some aspects of my job or when I was in college. I was *obsessed* about maintaining a 4.0GPA. I am a perfectionist about certain things. But these also cause anxiety and panic sometimes, so it's like a double edged sword. My OCD also ramped up when my kid was younger, especially newborn/infant stage.

My current doctor is trying to get me to try marijuana, but the referendum for recreational marijuana in NJ just failed to go through a couple of weeks ago (it's too expensive here to buy it medicinally). One of the things that makes me not go crazy is getting a good night's sleep and every doctor I've seen (including this one) wants me to take a combo of copious amounts of drugs to deal with my anxiety and this immortal like insomnia I have suffered from most of my life. It's strictly to turn my brain off at night as well.

I believe a licensed therapist can also diagnose and then counsel you on OCD. It also depends on how you want to treat it (continuing with THC or prescription meds or prescription marijuana). I would go for a consult with a good psychiatrist (ask around in your area, I've had some doozies that have put my life in danger with too much meds) and see what they say. Not sure where you are, but where I am psychiatrists only do med management and you have to go to a therapist for therapy (make sure they can and will do CBT, I had several that suggested that in the beginning and we just never got around to it). If I could do it all over again, I would try really hard to stay off all the meds. I mean, they work, but I've been on them so long that I can't imagine being able to put myself to sleep without them. I hope Bitter chimes in too.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Thank you for your input! Your experience sounds challenging, I'm sorry you've been dealing with it all your life.

I know a therapist/ psych is best, it's just hard to go through that and getting the right one may take a while.

I don't know. Even marijuana isn't the perfect answer as it makes me feel a little weird. Did you know it suppresses dreams? I think I read it makes you stay in mainly a deep sleep state. But I don't dream at all until I wake up at 4 am and then it's hard to fall back asleep. I don't always wake up feeling well rested. The worst is when the horrible thoughts sometimes still make it through even though I'm completely baked and falling asleep.

Why can't my brain be wired normally? Like my husband who can fall asleep in 2 seconds. So unfair.
    CornFlakegrl and Nevan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but: Can I ask about obtrusive thoughts? What qualifies as OCD? I can usually deal and ignore them as they pop in my head during the day, mainly by distracting myself, keeping busy. But at night, I've always been someone who can't turn off their brain, and it takes me forever to fall asleep. More than an hour if I'm sober.

Ever since having my kid I keep having these terrible intrusive thoughts, like worst-case, .0001% possible scenarios involving him dying, injured, kidnapped, molested, tortured, etc. Is there anything that doctors can prescribe for that? I have to vape (THC) to sleep. It's so disturbing and I know it's crazy and I hate it.
    You can have a form of OCD that is obsessive thinking w/o the compulsions. Although you can develop the compulsions over time and they may be subtle even now. But obsessions without compulsions is a real thing.

I suffered from it when my daughter was young. I had alarming, intrusive thoughts about her, what could happen to her, etc. They got so bad I started to think I was the threat. For real. Incredibly stressful. I decided I either needed to leave or get help. I got help. I was put on a mood stabilizer and anti-depressant (although the only thing depressing me was my thoughts!). Saw a therapist to get underneath how/why the normal fears of being a parent had turned so dark and ever present. Therapy and meds ended at about a year. I haven't had trouble since.

Upside: the mood stabilizers knocked me out cold. Slept like the dead.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Thank you for your input! Your experience sounds challenging, I'm sorry you've been dealing with it all your life.

I know a therapist/ psych is best, it's just hard to go through that and getting the right one may take a while.

I don't know. Even marijuana isn't the perfect answer as it makes me feel a little weird. Did you know it suppresses dreams? I think I read it makes you stay in mainly a deep sleep state. But I don't dream at all until I wake up at 4 am and then it's hard to fall back asleep. I don't always wake up feeling well rested. The worst is when the horrible thoughts sometimes still make it through even though I'm completely baked and falling asleep.

Why can't my brain be wired normally? Like my husband who can fall asleep in 2 seconds. So unfair.
    I really feel you. I didn’t know about the dream suppression with marijuana ... that’s very interesting. I have issues with marijuana. My 15yo son sometimes buys CBD cookies at a cafe near his high school (the school is right in the middle of a large downtown area and they’re allowed to leave campus for lunch). I was kind of shocked but I can’t get mad because it’s apparently very legal here. He’s been bugging me to try them for anxiety. He suffers from it too and he says when he eats them, his afternoon is awesome.

Do you know why you're waking up at 4am? Can you do a little marijuana just to go back to sleep? How many hours of sleep are you generally getting a night? Like I said earlier, my sleep is extremely important for my mental health the next day. I would experiment with the marijuana at 4am, even it’s just a little, to see if it will put you back to sleep.

It feels like I wake up because it wears off, but I want to avoid being under the influence when I need to be awake/alert, so I don't do more. Pot for me doesn't just relax me, it zonks me out into oblivion and I need to be fully functional for when my kid wakes up.

Total sleep, well I get a lot, ~8 hours. It's the quality of sleep that I guess could be better. Nothing like the first few months when he was a newborn though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information