Thread: Leave your used hair out for nesting

Default Leave your used hair out for nesting

Planet Green often has great tips on what to do with stuff you want to get rid of. Today, they offer up the idea of donating your hair. That's great, if it's long enough, but what about folks with shorter hair?

Well, they've got an idea for that, too:

If you have long enough hair, you could donate your hair to an organization like Locks of Love, but most people don't have 10 inches of hair to spare. You could also compost your hair. That's not such a bad idea, but it would probably go in the dry bedding pile. And you may not need much dry bedding depending on the amount of nutshells, leaves or junk mail you're composting.

A cooky way to keep your hair clippings out of the dumpster is by leaving it out for the birds. This sounds crazy, but birds will build nests with your hair. They will also build nests out of your pet's hair.
    Old Hair Is For The Birds: They'll Use It For A Nest

I also saw this in the comments:

Birds will use anything if they have to. If you find baby birds on the ground near trees but can't find the nest, take an old cool whip kind of container, poke holes in the bottom for drainage, throw grass and what not in the bottom, strap it to a limb with an electrical tie and put the birdies in it--the mother will come back and sit in that container.

BTW--birds can't smell and they will sit and watch you handle their babies and still come back. It's not nurturing motherhood but survival of the species. They will do whatever to save babies. I've seen a robin help a morning dove try to keep her babies warm that fell to the ground in the cold rain. I brought them in the house in a bucket to warm up while I made the cool whip nest.

Eeeeewh gross! Bloody hippies.

I smile because I have no idea what's going on

huh, intersting.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Many of the nests around here I find lined with fluff from the dog.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

This is what my mom told me,too. I toss hair from my hair brush & doggies brush outside & just let it blow in the wind. Also snippits of thread and yarn. I have a wire cage like thingy that hangs in a small tree with bird nesty stuff,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The wire cage thing is a good idea. Did you make it yourself? I threw some cat hair out today, but was worried about yarn. What if they think it's a worm and choke on it?

I will shave my head and they can have all the damn hair they want if they quit shitting on my new car!
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

my mom used to do that when i was growing up. I never thought about why she did it, it was just part of life. Now i know why
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

i've also been told that lint from the dryer is a good nest material.

Wow, this is a good idea! I have already started brushing my hair outside so the loose hair doesn't end up all over the floor. I HATE HAIR! I wonder if the birdies have already picked it up

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    The wire cage thing is a good idea. Did you make it yourself? I threw some cat hair out today, but was worried about yarn. What if they think it's a worm and choke on it?
    I found it at the Wild Birds Unlimited store. You could make on with a small bird cage hung by a short chain. Birds like it. Dryer lint,too,LisaL.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I also put dog hair/fuzz near my deck, so the bunnies won't hang out under there. I have found dog hair in the nests built under my front awning when I take the nests down in the fall.

^Thats so cute!

I can't wait to see what the birds do with my hair

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I do that all the time, throw it out on my balcony

Thread Information