Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martha Stewart keeps "prison-like environment" for employees

Default Martha Stewart keeps "prison-like environment" for employees

Cause that's really conducive to creativity, right??

A tipster at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia tells us Martha and Co. have a few new rules for staffers in the new offices. Bring nothing! Visual proof included below:
    Kevin Sharkey and Martha have decided that their new design scheme will be marred by any of the following: ink colors other than red or black, desks that are not completely clear at the end of the day, except for one metal basket of approved office supplies, and anything that could be construed as being personal, such as photos or coffee mugs (I guess drinking fluids slows down the proletariat). Perhaps they are figuring the last part makes it that much easier to lay people off quickly, because they won't have to waste everyone's time by clearing out their desks.
    Well you know Kevin Sharkey himself believes that "a truly beautiful room is one that hasn't been 'decorated' at all, but rather 'considered.'" So this would seem to fit. Consider this, employees: spill one drop of Diet Coke in here and you're fucking toast.

Taken from Jezebel

Elite Member

Martha lives behind us here in Bedford, NY. Given our experiences I can definately see this getting her stamp of approval.

Wow, you must in a rich neighborhood! ^^ Any stories?

I don't care-I would happily work for her any time!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How control-freak and dictatorial of her. It's pretty ridiculous but somehow unsurprising. God I'd hate to work for her.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Martha lives behind us here in Bedford, NY. Given our experiences I can definately see this getting her stamp of approval.
    I love Martha. Maybe she will make everyone some things for their desks out of pinecones Please, please, any Martha stories?

i love martha.
    she's right. i hate blue ink too. and people's tacky ass office decorations and stupid personalised mugs. decorating your space would be fine if people had good taste unfortunately that's rarely the case so if i were martha and running an empire, i'd do the same.

she should hang up a little artwork though, and maybe buy everyone martha-approved, aesthetically pleasing mugs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i love martha.
    she's right. i hate blue ink too. and people's tacky ass office decorations and stupid personalised mugs. decorating your space would be fine if people had good taste unfortunately that's rarely the case so if i were martha and running an empire, i'd do the same.

she should hang up a little artwork though, and maybe buy everyone martha-approved, aesthetically pleasing mugs.
    I thought I was the only one! Black ink is so soothing. I love it-not ballpoint, either-ink.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'd love it, clean neat orderly and all spaces the same. I hate when people personalize their space 9,000 photos of their kids and family from their birth to their last school photos.

I'm a pen/pencil nazi myself so I get where she's coming from.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I thought I was the only one! Black ink is so soothing. I love it-not ballpoint, either-ink.
    i don't like ballpoint either.

i'm also a pen nazi. i won't buy a pen without testing it first. it has to feel 'right' when i write with it. i like the roller gel ones. but my favourite is still fountain pen. i usually keep one in my purse.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Well, here's one :
    The town of Bedford only allows walls to be 4'0" tall within 40' of the road (because of sight restrictions). Martha decided that whe wanted the wall 4'0" on the high spot and the wall to continue at that level around the property (all 140 acres). This meant that the wall was close to 10'0" in the low spots. So Martha got around the town zoning by bringing in 1000's of yards of fill and burying the lower part of the wall so that only 4'0" protruded. Now this is 2' off a very main intersection. Now no cars or trucks can see the on coming traffic. Then, because the deer were climbing her newly installed embankment, she installed an 8' wire mesh fence on top of the stone wall. This was a clear violation of the ordinance. Martha appeared at the zoning board with freshly baked cookies and talked the board into allowing the mesh fence 'on a temporary seasonal basis' meaning just for winter. Well that fence has been up for 3 1/2 years now 'temporarily'. Every night at dusk, the deer come across the road, bounce off the mesh fence back into the 40mph road. While she was at the zoning board she asked for 17 (literally) variances to construct baths in all of the outbuildings. Over the objections of all of the neighbors (because of the fear of her filming there and all of the disruptions that took place at Turkey Hill), the board allowed her to put the baths in because she swore 'Oh no, I would never use the property for publication, it's my home'. The property has been published in at least one of her magazines every month since then. It's bad enough with the lookie loos going past her house without her publishing it constantly....dont get me started on the helicopters when she was under house arrest. Funny thing is the immediate neighbor between us is Ralph Lauren. There is never any type of publicity from Ralph about the property. Although you could argue that RL has made his fortune knocking off the Bedford horsey look.

ps, if you go to Google Earth, her address is 87 Girdle Ridge Rd, Bedford NY. that address is the boundary between her and Ralph and Ricky. Martha's property continues from there to the next intersection NW of there.

Who the fuck uses brown ink pens?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I don't care-I would happily work for her any time!

Would you cook for her?
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Would you cook for her?
    Umm-now that could present a wee problem...

SVZ

i would love to rub a jam covered fish over everything in that picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information