Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst gifts I've ever received from a man (don't buy these for your wife!)

Default The worst gifts I've ever received from a man (don't buy these for your wife!)

The worst gifts I've ever received from a man (don't buy these for your wife!) on Shine

A cleaver

You know, I needed this and I use it. But there was still something sad and unromantic (and I think bad luck?) about opening a gift from a significant other and finding a giant knife.

Let me state this up front: I'm not an ungrateful person. In fact, I love getting almost any kind of gift and have always been super thankful that anyone has thought about me at all. For the most part, I feel like it is the thought that counts and, honestly, what kind of person insults someone's gift? HOWEVER, over the years, there have been a few presents that outright hurt my feelings, that seemed suspiciously selfish, bought simply out of obligation or without any care at all. These gifts, despite my best efforts, made the holiday experience tense and weird. I've listed them as a cautionary tale aboveómore like a public service, than an outright complaint. Do you have gifts you've hated?

A sexy "costume"

Um, yeah. Let me tell you why this is a bad idea. It made me feel self-conscious that the boyfriend who bought it was unhappy with our love life. Also? It wasn't my taste at all. Also? It was really a gift for him.

A vacuum

Yes. My first husband bought this for me on our first Christmas together. It was wrapped in a big bow next to the tree and basically said, "Here, honey! A life of cleaning up after me!" Yuck.

A three-sizes-too-big sweater

This is tricky, because would you rather get something too small? But I was awfully insulted when an ex brought home a size 12 sweater and, when asked how he calculated my size, said: "I just judged your width to the salesgirl who guessed." Grrr.

Tickets to a sporting event

This would have been lovely if I had any interest at all in sports. But I don't, so buying me tickets to the Superbowl (which, incidentally coincided with our anniversary) was not charming or thoughtful, but a not-so-subtle way to get out of a real celebration of our anniversary.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I got an electric can opener and a bottle of Clinique toner from a boyfriend once.

"make my dinner and look better doing it."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

my husband bought me a vacuum for my birthday once. he's usually a great gift buyer i dont know what he was thinking.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The worst ever birthday gift I've gotten was from my step dad, when I was 13...

It was a thong.

I'm still disturbed beyond repair, from that one.

Jesus, Nicole, that's ten kinds of fucked-up.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow yeah! I was all set to post but crickey! That just won over all.

My boyfriend is the worst. Shhh don't tell him. He tries to be sentimental during the holidays because he's so crass the rest of the year. He buys me schmalzy sucker gifts. Like the teddy stuck to a box of chocolates with a balloon glued to his head. I've got tons of stuffed animals and boxes of chocolates and lovely sentimental cards. Its my own fault, I pretended to be touched.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah Nicole, that was pretty awful. Hope your mother ditched him forthwith.

I am still fuming over a gift an ex-bf once gave me: it was this glass...thing...it looked like the glass shade of a kerosene lantern, open at both ends. I asked him "wtf is this?" Turns out you display silk flower arrangements in it..or so he said. It didn't even come with a base to put it on...it just...sat there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Yeah Nicole, that was pretty awful. Hope your mother ditched him forthwith.

I wasn't living with her, at the time, so she couldn't do anything about it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I wasn't living with her, at the time, so she couldn't do anything about it.

Sweetie I don't care where you were living, there was something she could have done: fucked him up good for giving her daughter a pair of thongs. If some pervert did that to my daughter (who is now 16) he'd be missing his balls.

The guy I dated all through college gave me a framed photo of himself for christmas the last year we were together.

That frame (A nice one!) now hosts a pictue of my parents
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's funny Lola. Just to be spiteful I would have replaced the picture right away and thanked him for the nice frame.

Hit By Ban Bus!

An ex gave me a dusbuster and an apron. About three days later, he dumped me the day before we were going to the Caribbean together. I went anyway. Hooray for me!

Nicole, that is weird, let us beat him up for you

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information