Thread: Amazon reviews of 'Penetrating Wagner's Ring'

Between uncertainty and acceptance

Default Amazon reviews of 'Penetrating Wagner's Ring' Reviews for Penetrating Wagner's "Ring" (Da Capo Paperback): John L. DiGaetani: Books

These positive reviews of Wagner's Ring have made me want to probe into it myself..

His Ring kept me up for hours during the night and into the small hours of the morning. I recommend that everybody at least dips into Wagner's Ring now and again. If like me, you are a hardened reader, why not give Wagners Ring a good going over. It is very apparent that Wagner's Ring is expansive. I got lost in it for days.

The expansiveness of Wagner's Ring often leaves one panting for breath, and anyone lucky enough to have even half-probed its depths deserves full recognition. Even without the messy bits, this sixteen-hour musical epic leaves one with no alternative but to reacharound for academic help.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

WTF is going on with this and how on earth did you find it?

As implied by the title, this collection probes deeply into Wagner's vast Ring piece. Accusations of anti-semitism make Wagner's Ring a sensitive area today, but it continues to offer pleasure to many. This is a masterful work of musical scholarship that deserves a place on any sturdy shelf. No doubt it will influence appreciation of Wagner's Ring for many years to come. Among the highlights is the revealing chapter on the many characters than Wagner has managed to cram into his Ring. Also covered are the brass instruments that Wagner designed specifically for insertion within the Ring. There will always be those who are opposed to musical analysis (just the same as there will always be those who resort to juvenile humour, regarding the title). They will say that Wagner's Ring is 'violated' with excessive force of scholarship. For this reviewer, however, Wagner's Ring remains quite intact and is indeed tightened by the exploration. In short, this stimulating venture in and out of Wagner's Ring has resulted in a seminal, fluid output.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

Thread Information