Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What not to crochet

Default What not to crochet

Kinda funny. Sad thing is, tho, I remember wearing a crocheted poncho way back when.

http://whatnottocrochet.wordpress.com/

Default Re: What not to crochet

My uncle taught me to crochet (yes he is gay!!) and I use to really enjoy it, great way of losing weight too I think, keeps your hands busy and out of the fridge!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Aww, I wanna learn how to crochet. My mom knows how but she's never had the time to teach me.

Can I borrow your uncle?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

GAWD! that snake/worm hat is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!

I love crocheting, I just don't do it that much anymore. Of late, the stuff I end up making is these baby pillow afghans.

One year, I made my daughter a mini backpack out of varigated chenille yarn. All her friends wanted one. Each one basically ended up costing about $15, plus my time of course, so I had to tell her that only her closest friends could have one.

Fortunately, I refrain from making hideous things

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Holy cow! I've seen some truly ugly things people have crocheted through the years, hell, I've made a few, but the ones from the Portegeuse blog take the fugly cake. WTF she did a dismembered thumb coming out of a vase with flowers on a poncho? Some of her weirder designs wouldn't be so bad executed in different colors than what she used.. shudder, I'm going to have nightmares for weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Aww, I wanna learn how to crochet. My mom knows how but she's never had the time to teach me.

Can I borrow your uncle?
    Ye sure have him, keep him!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

I crochet too, I've noticed a lot more young people doing it lately. Every time I have brought my latest project to class with me (to work on between classes), I always get people coming up to me wanting to see it and know what I'm doing. Current project is an enormous 6x6 blanket that I'm making with hairpin lace (so using a loom). It is taking me absolutely FOREVER, but its looking like a blanket now, so I can sort of see the end in sight! The only thing I'm concerned with is when I finish, I usually run them through the washing machine and dryer w/some fabric softener to soften up the yarn a bit, but this one is black and gold striped. I'm really concerned about the black bleeding onto the gold. I think I'm going to have to make a test patch and throw that in there to see what happens. I don't want to ruin a year's (yes, a year, little more right now, I took the summer off though b/c I was working so much) work by having it bleed all over itself.

I used to crochet stuff for holiday gifts for people b/c of how cheap they ended up being. Last year I make cool ribbed skull caps for everyone b/c of how cold our wind is. I could get about 2 or 3 finished on a weekend day and usually 1 on a weekday. They were pretty cheap b/c I bought a couple of those "pound of yarn" skeins for them.

SVZ

the site's pictures where funny.....but the writing sucked

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I crochet too, I've noticed a lot more young people doing it lately. Every time I have brought my latest project to class with me (to work on between classes), I always get people coming up to me wanting to see it and know what I'm doing. Current project is an enormous 6x6 blanket that I'm making with hairpin lace (so using a loom). It is taking me absolutely FOREVER, but its looking like a blanket now, so I can sort of see the end in sight! The only thing I'm concerned with is when I finish, I usually run them through the washing machine and dryer w/some fabric softener to soften up the yarn a bit, but this one is black and gold striped. I'm really concerned about the black bleeding onto the gold. I think I'm going to have to make a test patch and throw that in there to see what happens. I don't want to ruin a year's (yes, a year, little more right now, I took the summer off though b/c I was working so much) work by having it bleed all over itself.

I used to crochet stuff for holiday gifts for people b/c of how cheap they ended up being. Last year I make cool ribbed skull caps for everyone b/c of how cold our wind is. I could get about 2 or 3 finished on a weekend day and usually 1 on a weekday. They were pretty cheap b/c I bought a couple of those "pound of yarn" skeins for them.
    You have to get some of the Shout Color Catchers for the wash! I swear by them! I freak when my clothes shrink, so I have a bunch of things that I wash in cold water but it's not always enough to do a load if I sort them. So, in go the reds (which will bleed in cold or hot), blacks, blues, whites and whatever color I wore and NOTHING is ruined. The little sheet is all grey or red and everything looks great!

That being said, I have tried to crochet many times. I can get that starter chain going but I don't know exactly what to do after that's done. I've tried doing the classic zigzag pattern but ended up with something that was getting funny points on the sides, not just the bottom. And of course there was also the starter chain that was about 12 FEET LONG! I must not have been paying attention. Who knows. I could make them like my grandmother, she just starts going and uses every color in the rainbow. Whether it looks good or not. It seems wasteful to me that she does that, it about killed her to make a plain off white blanket for my mother. She would love the Red Hat Society set that was shown on that site!

One of my friends is in the process of making an "ugly" blanket. She crochets all the time too, so she has a TON of scrap yarn laying around-she was actually the one that taught me hairpin lace. She is using all that scrap yarn to make a hairpin lace blanket, each stripe is a different random color and type of yarn. Some of it is even that yarn dyed a bunch of different colors that make cool patterns in scarves. It was supposd to be the ugliest thing ever, but it ended up being so ugly it's ALMOST cute. She sort of likes it now and is probably going to put it into actual circulation instead of having it as the last resort blanket.

And thanks for the suggestion mklady, I'll look into those!

I've been wanting to learn how to knit since my son was born. (He's 5 now)Maybe I can knit some blankets for his kids.

The clown scared the living shit out of me. I hate those fucking clowns!

I would like to add things not to knit such as guinea pig sweaters. http://cavyshops.com/sweaters.html

and things not to crochet or knit from your dead pet's fur as a keepsake.
    http://www.vipfibers.com/pet-tribute.htm

I love my dogs, but no way in hell am I wearing them after they are dead.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Holy cow is that creepy. I wanna see someone wrestle a guneau pig into a teeny tiny sweater.

Years ago the creepiest knitting/crocheting I ever saw was some woman in the UK that had collected her hair from her brushes and combs for thirty years and spun it into yarn before knitting it into a suit to wear. Very bizarre. Talk about a hair shirt.

Heres an artist in Europe that works exclusively with human hair including knitting some very fugly itchy looking garments -
    http://www.rijkeboer.com/index.php/rijkeb/frontpage
    Last edited by UndercoverGator; December 11th, 2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Add crazy link

The guinea pig sweaters are laughable, but I am not bothered by the yarn made out of dog hair. I am a spinner, too, and have tried all different kinds of hair. Even my own. What is the difference between wearing sheep's hair or your dog's hair? They both have to be washed, wet sheep don't smell any better than wet dog. And if you wear mohair, you might not if you ever saw how it looks while it is growing on the animal. That stuff needs to be boiled before you can even start to use it. If someone feels better about the loss of a pet by having a little pillow or scarf made out of the animal's fur, so be it. It isn't like it hurts the animal, and it's not like taxidermy, which is nasty. And before you get weird ideas about me, I do not own any pet fur items, and have no fetish about animal hair, I just like to spin stuff to see what I can get. I even tried fiberbill (that stuff you put in quilts and pillows?) and got a really strong cord that I used to tie up my garbage bags.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information