Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Prudence: Advice on coping with stupid people

Default Dear Prudence: Advice on coping with stupid people

dear prudence: Advice on manners and morals.
    Little Miss Can't-Be-Wrong

How can I cope with my stupid co-workers?

Posted Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007, at 6:59 AM ET

Hi Prudence,
    I'm an office manager at a very small company, where I work with three other girls. In short, I am much smarter than my co-workers. When one of them asks a dumb question (i.e., "What's so bad about Fox News?"), I try to be sensitive and explain without making them feel stupid. Sometimes, though, I get very frustrated, and it's difficult to hold my tongue. Yesterday, my co-worker's sister came in to visit and announced shamelessly that she had never heard of Craigslist. After she left, I exclaimed to my other co-workers, "I can't believe she's never heard of Craigslist!" My co-workers defended her, saying they had never heard of Craigslist until they moved to New York City. I find this preposterous. I didn't say anything else because I didn't want to come off as a snob (which is probably how I'm coming off in this e-mail; my apologies). How does one handle working with people like this? I could keep my mouth shut and go with the flow, but it makes me feel dumb when I don't speak up—I feel that if I don't acknowledge their stupidity, then I'm not doing my duty as an informed young woman.
    —Dumbed Down

Dear Dumbed,
    Since you're so knowledgeable, I'll leave it to you to answer the following letter:
    Dear Prudie,
    The three of us work in a small office with an overbearing braggart who thinks it's her job to constantly tell us how smart she is and how dumb we are. If we say something that indicates we don't agree with her political views, she rolls her eyes and gives us a lecture on how to think. If it comes up that we don't know about some Web site she's familiar with, for example, she sighs and tells us it's impossible to believe that we could be that unsophisticated. Her attitude almost seems to be that she feels it's her obligation to point out how superior she is. In some small way, we feel sorry for her because she's so unlikable, but mostly we just can't bear the sight of her. How do we get her to shut up?
    —Sick of the Show-Off

Advice onÂ*manners and morals. - - Slate Magazine

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Welcome to real life
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Gold Member

What is craiglist?

I seem to be even stupider than I though not knowing what craiglist is? Oh well you can't change your genes.

I bet if you asked her coworkers about her, they would say she is a condescending, intellectual snob who thinks she is smarter than everyone else. What a sanctimonious cow.

Silver Member

Smarter? There's nothing in her letter to indicate she's smarter, only that she's more intuned with pop culture. I'd bet she'd be more comfortable in a teen setting with people just as smart as she is about what's on TV and the internet.

to be fair, i don't understand people that don't know what's wrong with fox news. even if you're right wing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    to be fair, i don't understand people that don't know what's wrong with fox news. even if you're right wing.
    Yeah, it doesn't exactly speak of their intellect.

I'd heard of Craigslist. But then I spend too much time on the interwebs.....is this it below or is there another one? Ah, who cares?

craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

I love those 2 letters above though. Says it all.

Who was it who said, "Oh, to see ourselves as others see us?"
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoog View Post
    I'd heard of Craigslist. But then I spend too much time on the interwebs.....is this it below or is there another one? Ah, who cares?

craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

There is a craigslist for every metro area-you go in & click on what city you are near. If you want to buy something,rent,sell or get rid of it is the perfect place. Divides into many sections: carpools,roomates,pet finder even sex partners! In case of boredom, you can find any number of perverts right in your own suburb! Most people just use like a mini right there by you Ebay.
    I used it to find my sister's maid -she had insisted on staying in New Orleans during Katrina and we were just frantic.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    In case of boredom, you can find any number of perverts right in your own suburb!
    It's easier than ever to be a pervert, thanks to the web!
    Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid - Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoog View Post
    I love those 2 letters above though. Says it all.

Who was it who said, "Oh, to see ourselves as others see us?"
    Robert Burns. (from the poem To a Louse) Robert Burns Country: To A Louse: On Seeing One On A Lady's Bonnet, At Church

And everybody knows at least one person like the letter writer. I used to have to work with a guy we called Captain Oblivious. He just didn't have a clue that the way he treated people might tick them off. He always felt that it was someone else's fault when things went wrong and if more than one person made a complaint about his behaviour, it suddenly became some sort of conspiracy against innocent little him.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

From my own informal survey of the coworkers that I have "enjoyed" during my working life, I have found that 1 out of 7 coworkers are assholes. They can make other people's lives miserable, yet they are "victims". Go figure...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Hit By Ban Bus!

^oh, you've been lucky Reptillycus. Very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Robert Burns. (from the poem To a Louse) Robert Burns Country: To A Louse: On Seeing One On A Lady's Bonnet, At Church

And everybody knows at least one person like the letter writer. I used to have to work with a guy we called Captain Oblivious. He just didn't have a clue that the way he treated people might tick them off. He always felt that it was someone else's fault when things went wrong and if more than one person made a complaint about his behaviour, it suddenly became some sort of conspiracy against innocent little him.
    Thanks, Twitchy, I should've known that being Scottish and all

You know what kind of people really bug me IRL? The ones who make a point of mentioning regularly that they're "emotional" which really means they are always insisting on taking offence, are totally unreasonable and cause more trouble than anyone else and never let anything pass without getting into the fray. Then they get upset and claim they're "sensitive" - usually after they've caused a massive scene

But, weirdly enough, everybody gets along and everything runs like a dream whenever they're not around......

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't exactly speak of their intellect.
    See, I don't get what all the hoopla is about always ragging on Fox news, as though CNN (or any other) is sooo superior. Honestly, all news these days is heavy handed with pop culture crap and it's like they're all competing with the National Enquirer. They all do it. I watch them both (albeit rarely, because I'm not often home and when I am I watch movies) and don't see much difference, except Fox seems to have better looking people overall. I know several educated and intelligent folks who watch Fox all the time (I get most of my news from the net) and they certainly don't seem any dumber than the CNN addicts I know. So what gives? Honestly, those are the kinds of comments that lend credence to the elitist liberal stereotype......anybody who doesn't agree with your political beliefs must be stupid, which is pretty ironic considering that most self proclaimed liberals seem to feel they are the champions of the underclass. I know uber conservatives who are very bright. I may not agree with their views on many topics, but I do not think they are stupid just becasue they don't see it my way. The times I've seen Fox I wasn't hit over the head with any hard conservative/right wing messages, so I don't get how that image came about.

No, fox news is verifiably and quite obviously a right wing propaganda machine. I catch it anytime I happen to be unfortuante enough to be stuck in a room with it.

it's the idiot talking heads they have on there, the editorials, and the 'fair and balanced' round tables they have where 3 screaming neocon fuckwits drown out the token "liberal", who isnt actually liberal.

the Bush junta *loves* Fox news because they're never questioned when they're on it.. they give almost exclusive interviews to pandering and fawning Fox reporters.. fuck, half the time they just repeat what the Bush admin says or lies about it. They've been caught so many times it's a bit of an industry joke.

Fox news is 'news' for people who need to be told how to think. with the run up to the Iraq war, FOX was spewing out so many whooshing graphics, so Rah rah gung ho USA USA that it made me want to puke. Absolutely NO investigative journalism into wtf they were repeating (not reporting), just passing it on as if it was fact. CNN isn't exactly hard hitting either, but they don't spin nearly as much.. they just dont ask hard questions.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information