Thread: Berlitz - Improve your english

Elite Member

lol...i have been in that exact situation..saying things in a language and not realizing someone else (that you wouldn't expect) knew the language and could understand my comments..*embarrassing*

A*O

The second link has been pulled by You Tube.

I was in an elevator in France once with a bunch of semi-drunk British blokes who started to make sniggering remarks about my boobs. Nothing offensive, just stupid giggly comments. They obviously thought I was French and would not understand. Anyway we got to the Lobby and as I left I said "Enjoy the rest of your evening gentlemen" in my most cut-glass British accent. You could have heard a pin drop LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

I was in an elevator in France once with a bunch of semi-drunk British blokes who started to make sniggering remarks about my boobs. Nothing offensive, just stupid giggly comments. They obviously thought I was French and would not understand. Anyway we got to the Lobby and as I left I said "Enjoy the rest of your evening gentlemen" in my most cut-glass British accent. You could have heard a pin drop LOL
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Love this story! The best part about speaking more than one language is managing to catch people saying embarrassing things, without realizing they're being understood. I have a few stories of my own, though none as amusing as yours.

^^ It has happened once or twice also. In Quebec City not much people speak english and I've caught a few talking in English that thought I didn't understand. I reacted like A*O
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

LOL, funny story!

Really, I don't get people from English speaking countries who don't realize this. It's not uncommon to find someone in France who speaks English, as everyone on this planet speaks at least some English.

Kinda like the American tourists during the World Cup who started talking (LOUDLY) about how you shouldn't get on public transportation in Germany, because even if they tell you they are taking you someplace, they still take you to the gas chamber. I turned around to them and said: "You got it all wrong, you don't get gased right away. We pick the once we like to work for us. Only the rest gets taken to the camp."

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    LOL, funny story!
    Kinda like the American tourists during the World Cup who started talking (LOUDLY) about how you shouldn't get on public transportation in Germany, because even if they tell you they are taking you someplace, they still take you to the gas chamber. I turned around to them and said: "You got it all wrong, you don't get gased right away. We pick the once we like to work for us. Only the rest gets taken to the camp."
    ...you are officially my hero.

Thread Information