Thread: Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons!

Talking Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons!

Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons

Australian filmmaker John Safran is so fed up with mormons ringing his doorbell early in the morning that he flies to Salt Lake City Utah and tries to convert Mormons to atheism. Needless to say, the locals were not pleased.

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=185806

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Oh I loved that! I usually keep a set of flash cards with scriptures that refute much of Mormonism on the shelf by the door to argue with them but that was way better. I'll have to push radical atheism as a life style when they come calling at 8 am.

Zee

I used a similar approach with the door to door Jehovah's Witnesses. They have since started visiting my house more frequently in an effort to bring me to God.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I haven't had Jehovah's Witnesses since my dog nipped one on the calf.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Oh god, when I see those mormon missionaries on their bikes I lock my door and act like I am not home. The other day a family of Jehovah's witnesses came to my door. A mom, a dad, and a very small toddler, all dressed up and walking up and down the streets in the cold. I opened my door a crack and took their pamphlet, but made it clear they would not be coming in...even though I felt sorta sorry for them.
    I wish I had the guts to actually debate beliefs with them and make them sputter.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    I haven't had Jehovah's Witnesses since my dog nipped one on the calf.
    Good dog. Give him a kiss from me.

Yes, what is it with the Mormans and the Witnesses(great band name, by the way)lately? If I am not hiding from one, I am hiding from the other! I got a Morman friend but I told her straight up that I like her and if she wants it to continue, I dont want to be converted. Although she has told me somethings she shouldn't have and showed me her sacred underwear. LOL.

Silver Member

I got a funny story about a Jehovas witness. About 8 years ago a JW was working for my Dad and he was really nice, never pushed his religion or anything. Just a hard working, cute 18 year old. A few years after he quit he stopped by my house to say Hi and my husband (he did remember him) answered the door and the JW was there in a suit. He asked if I was home and my husband says "oh, Jesus Christ, Spencer, I thought you were a friggin Jehova's witness!!!" Of course he and my 2 brother in laws were laughing the whole time. And then Spencer says "Well, I am actually" My poor husband almost died, it was so funny!

That is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. I had so many people bothering us I actually put up a "no soliciting" sign outside my front door.
    Lo and behold, less than a week later, my husband and I were at home and hear the doorbell. I open it up and this little old lady points to the "no soliciting" sign and says "Does this apply to me too?" I looked at her and said "I don't know...I don't know what you want" Am I a freaking a mind reader here, people? Of course she was selling her religion but at least she didn't stay long. I just think that is nervy. They don't catch a clue, huh?

Do you ever wonder what their conversation rate is? I mean how many people actually decide to change their whole life beliefs because of a knock on the door?

Lil

I used to work with someone who had a Philosophy and Theology degree from Oxford. He used to love it when the JWs came round, and would welcome them in with open arms. Whether they enjoyed the experience as much as he did is less clear....
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by Siennalake View Post

Do you ever wonder what their conversation rate is? I mean how many people actually decide to change their whole life beliefs because of a knock on the door?
    Well, I've seen it happen with my own eyes!! I know I posted about this story before, but my ex fell for it hook-line-and-sinker! Mormons came knocking on his door and that was it, he was gone. We tried to make it work, he tried to convert me, and eventually I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Very strange to have a RELIGION steal your boyfriend! It was a very heartbreaking time for me, though.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

My sister is one of those people who invites them in, too. She's a smart cookie and loves a good argument. They seem to like it too. She says they bring cake now and they call ahead to make sure she'll be home.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    My sister is one of those people who invites them in, too. She's a smart cookie and loves a good argument. They seem to like it too. She says they bring cake now and they call ahead to make sure she'll be home.
    I used to do that too until the little missionary boys started getting nasty/smart with me. One said to me that it hurt him that I was so uncaring as to if my kids would spend eternity in heaven or hell just because I started debating his theology and poking holes in it, pointing out where in the book of Mormon it contredicts the itself and the Bible. Another one called me at 11:00 pm on the night before Easter Sunday while I was still rushing around making baskets and hemming my daughter's dress. I told him off.

Now when they arrive I tell them gently that it grieves the Holy Spirit when we argue like that and that I wish them blessings in God's name but please leave. They become the most offended at that, and want to fuss and fight over who's God (sky fairy :Grimm translation) is the true God. They don't even want to admit that we're all following the same Big Dude.

Oh Algernon, I'm so so sorry. That must have really sucked ass.

Thread Information