Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By lindsaywhit
  • 2 Post By Nevan
  • 2 Post By sprynkles
  • 6 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 3 Post By SHELLEE
  • 1 Post By manningmsj

Thread: Man asked for 'New Mexico' passport when applying for marriage license in D.C.

Default Man asked for 'New Mexico' passport when applying for marriage license in D.C.

I honestly wasn't even sure where to post this, I was like 'WTF?'...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...=.5f235ec872cc

Couple were briefly refused a D.C. marriage license when the clerk asked for a ‘New Mexico passport’
    By Justin Wm. Moyer
    November 30 at 2:53 PM

Gavin Clarkson has had a tough few months. In June, he lost a Republican primary in a New Mexico congressional race. Earlier this month, he lost a bid to become New Mexico’s secretary of state.

Then, while trying to get a marriage license on Nov. 20, he had to argue with a D.C. Superior Court clerk who apparently didn’t know New Mexico is a state.
    Clarkson said the clerk told him she couldn’t accept an international driver’s license and asked for his “New Mexico passport.” Clarkson lives in the Land of Enchantment, but visits the District to see his fiancee.

“I do not have to pass through customs,” he said in an interview with The Washington Post. The incident was first reported by the Las Cruces Sun-News.
    He’d planned his wedding day to fall on his soon-to-be wife’s birthday. Would that be thwarted by a bureaucrat who was unaware that New Mexico became the 47th state on Jan. 6, 1912?

After consulting with a supervisor and performing what Clarkson speculated was a Google search, the clerk confirmed that New Mexico was, indeed, a member of the United States, and the wedding went ahead as planned.

“It was funny looking back on it,” Clarkson said. “It was not very funny at the moment. I was about to go into full lawyer mode.”

As Clarkson’s tale went viral, D.C. Superior Court acknowledged the mistake.

“We understand that a clerk in our Marriage Bureau made a mistake regarding New Mexico’s 106 year history as a state,” Leah Gurowitz, a spokeswoman for the court, said in a statement. “We very much regret the error and the slight delay it caused a New Mexico resident in applying for a DC marriage license.”

Clarkson’s next challenge is planning his honeymoon, slated for spring.

“I’m working on that,” he said. “With all the difficulties with the marriage bureau, we were lucky to get married.”

The fact that I'm not surprised is a bit depressing.

WTF is right. I would have whipped out the wiki entry on my phone on New Mexico in a nanosecond, but I'm not sure that would even made a difference. I really wish there could be a standard IQ test for all government employees but I don't know if we'd have many left.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

This country is full of full-blown idiots. It's like when a cashier calls the police when you give them a $2 dollar bill.

As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Sadly this is not uncommon. A girl in my office used to live in New Mexico and she said it was a nightmare trying to get things delivered to her like furniture. They said that they didn't ship internationally. The world is a full of idiots.
    fgg, Nevan and Waterslide like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

The stupid actually hurts.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

The stupidity reminds me of when I went through a Tim Horton's coffee shop drive thru here in Canada, and tried paying with change with a U.S quarter in the mix and the cashier said she couldn't accept Mexican money.

That's just bizarre. We see American coins in our change all the time.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^^^ I used to see Canadian coins a lot more often years ago. Barely see them anymore. I don't know why ... probably that most people use debit or credit cards to pay for everything now.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Thread Information