Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Professor live-tweets her son's abstinence-only sex ed class

Default Professor live-tweets her son's abstinence-only sex ed class

I can't get this post. I would love if someone could post it to for me. It's gold!!

Professor live-tweets her son's abstinence-only sex ed class
    McJag likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

that's hilarious!!
    we don't have a thingie to embed tweets and they're not images so you can't copy them. booooo

you could do screen captures and post those?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This isn't as pretty, but this is what she Tweeted. Each paragraph represents a separate Tweet:

Professor Alice Dreger is no newcomer to the study of human sexuality. In 2010, she hosted a TED talk focused on how anatomy often determines fate, and in 2015 she published <em> Galileo's Middle Finger</em>, which covers controversies in academic medicine, specifically those related to sexuality
    When the author and bioethicist's son invited her to sit in on his abstinence-focused sexual education class, she knew she was stumbling into a situation ripe for live-tweeting.

Thankfully (for her followers, at least) she was not disappointed.

• The kid has invited me to his health class on sex ed to see how bad it is, so I'm going. But hands over my mouth means I can't live-tweet it
    • Uh oh. They stuck me in the corner with my computer and there is wifi....so I can live tweet this. We still pledge loyalty to the flag, huh?
    • I can't stand this. They're teaching "abstinence stories" that worked and non-abstinence" stories that "led to consequences."
    • The visitor-teacher is telling my kid abstinence education reduces premarital sex. My kid is trying to show her studies that dispute that.
    • She's being completely condescending. "You can look up anything on the internet" Then refers him to site on abstinence education!
    • I feel like raising my hand and saying "Can I tell my sexual history, which involves a lot of pleasure before and during marriage?"
    • And how I've had a lot of lovers and have never gotten pregnant by accident? Yes, I had HPV! And I would get the vaccine!
    • In fact I have had the vaccine!
    • Now we're hearing a horror story about marijuana use.
    • The regular health teacher in trying to shut my kid up referred to "LGBYT." And how the board decides what we learn.
    • The guy telling the "abstinence" story is now telling us about having sex as a teenager. I'm confused.
    • Now he's talking about getting a girl preg and them hiding it from their parents. Yup, that's what sexual shame does, dude!
    • Preg girl got picked on so her friends desserted her. That's what happens if you have sex, kids! Yup! Pregnant and NO FRIENDS!
    • He and the girl both had alcoholic fathers. But somehow he's not recommending never drinking.
    • The whole lesson here is "sex is part of a terrible lifestyle. Drugs, unemployment, failure to finish school — sex is part of the disaster"
    • This guy really thinks this story of "I fucked up for years and years" is going to lead to other kids not fucking up.
    • Whereas the lesson I would take is "sometimes it takes years to get your shit together, and that's okay"?
    • Oh and of course, now a story about a friend who OD'ed and "was a vegetable 11 years. Tore their family apart." FFS. Welcome to sex ed.
    • This whole story of OD's, people in prison, out-of-marriage pregnancies is ironically a story of this guy's resilience and normalcy.
    • "I have a daughter whose 21 and I would go absolutely nuts if I knew she ever let a stranger into her house."
    • "I finally met a great girl who was brought up in abstinence, and her life was so much better. I put her on a pedestal above everyone else."
    • "I liked her so much [I so wanted to fuck her] I decided to change my lifestyle and go with abstinence [until I could fuck her]."
    • "Two years after we started dating I asked her to marry me and we're 8 years married." And I'll bet yer fucking, aren't ya!
    • "We're not saying having sex is a bad thing. My story I can say having sex was a bad thing for me because I craved it."
    • "You'll find a good girl. If you find one that says 'no,' that's the one you want." HE ACTUALLY JUST SAID THAT.
    • Now the woman is up. "Sometimes condoms fail."
    • She says "it is absolutely better to use something than nothing" in terms of birth control. "But it can fail."
    • "It takes only 1 sperm to fertilize an egg. It takes only 1 time having sex to get pregnant." Yet she's not suggesting oral or anal.
    • She's now telling story of condom box in which EVERY SINGLE CONDOM HAD A HOLE.
    • She says per the FDA 1 out of every 400 boxes of condom can be totally defective. "You might get that 400th box." BE AFRAID!
    • About 18% chance a condom will fail, she says.
    • "On average 1 out of 6 times there is a mishap with a condom." "Every day in US 1600+ teen pregnancies." Lesson: condoms fail? WTF?
    • Condoms. They fail. You get pregnant. Your friends leave you. You drop out of school. Your kids end up in the army.
    • "We are going to roll this dice 8 times. Every time your number comes up, in pretend your condom failed and you get a paper baby." JESUS!!!
    • Paper babies are being handed out to EVERYONE. They have ALL HAD CONDOM FAILURE AND THE WHOLE CLASS IS PREGNANT.
    • "You have to have a baby!" There are apparently no scissors in the room for paper abortions.
    • "I'm going to collect the babies that you don't want. We recycle them."
    • "Safe sex is kind of a misnomer."
    • It's over. I need a drink.
    faithanne and Honeythorn like this.

Thanks, Mo.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

There are no scissors in the room for paper abortions.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

• "I finally met a great girl who was brought up in abstinence, and her life was so much better. I put her on a pedestal above everyone else."

He only put her up there so he could get a glimpse under her dress of her snatch. All that abstinence makes people a little crazy
    lucianodel and Kittylady like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

other than the scissors for paper abortions, my favourite is "You'll find a good girl. If you find one that says 'no,' that's the one you want."
    nothing like the good old madonna whore complex and teaching boys that you don't marry the girl who likes sex. you marry the sexually repressed/frigid prude and have babies with her and then cheat and fuck the whore on the side, the one with the mouth you wouldn't want kissing your children.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

On the other hand there do still seem to be a large number of clueless kids who actually would benefit from abstinence because they clearly don't understand the consequences of unprotected sex. It's no use warning them about "broken condoms" if they don't or won't use them in the first place.
    [\devils advocate]
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

yeah but it's no use telling a bunch of horny teenagers to practice abstinence because you know they won't. at least with proper sex ed there's a chance some of it will sink in and some of them will be careful, as opposed to teaching them abstinence, not giving them proper information about condoms and birth control, and then expecting that will work to deter them from sex when the reality is they'll just fuck anyway but they'll do it without condoms and birth control since the abstinence-only lady told them condoms break and don't really work anyway, so why bother?
    the only abstinence-only method that would work is chastity belts.

proof:

Teen Pregnancies Highest In States With Abstinence-Only Policies

BY AMANDA PETERSON BEADLE

The number of teen births in the U.S. dropped again in 2010, according to a government report, with nearly every state seeing a decrease. Nationally, the rate fell 9 percent to about 34 per 1,000 girls ages 15 through 19, and the drop was seen among all racial and ethnic groups. Mississippi continues to have the highest teen birth rate, with 55 births per 1,000 girls. New Hampshire has the lowest rate at just under 16 births per 1,000 girls.
    This is the lowest national rate for teen births since the Centers for Disease Control began tracking it in 1940, and CDC officials attributed the decline to pregnancy prevention efforts. Other reports show that teenagers are having less sex and using contraception more often. Studies have backed this up. Researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle found that teenagers who received some type of comprehensive sex education were 60 percent less likely to get pregnant or get someone else pregnant. And in 2007, a federal report showed that abstinence-only programs had “no impacts on rates of sexual abstinence.”
    But 37 states require sex education that includes abstinence, 26 of which require that abstinence be stressed as the best method. Additionally, research shows that abstinence-only strategies could deter contraceptive use among teenagers, thus increasing their risk of unintended pregnancy.

For example, take the states with the highest and lowest teen pregnancy rates. Mississippi does not require sex education in schools, but when it is taught, abstinence-only education is the state standard. New Mexico, which has the second highest teen birth rate, does not require sex ed and has no requirements on what should be included when it is taught. New Hampshire, on the other hand, requires comprehensive sex education in schools that includes abstinence and information about condoms and contraception.
    Last edited by sputnik; April 17th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Kittylady likes this.

A*O

Sigh. I know. Once the hormones kick in whatever shred of common sense kids have flies out the window so they need ALL the info and hopefully they'll make the right choices.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^^^
    and in case they don't, there's always magic milkshakes

I have a feeling that I probably shared this many years ago, but my daughter's school taught sex ed class actually presented pulling out as a viable birth control method - and then argued with me about its inclusion.
    sputnik and kasippu like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

^^^^
    are you fucking kidding? what school is this, so i can start harrassing them with anonymous emails?

A*O

On some issues if you scratch Middle America and you'll find the Middle Ages.

(Cue more ruffled feathers)
    sputnik likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

this is both hilarious, and terrifying.
    sputnik likes this.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information