Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style

Default 18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style

NEWS

18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style

By Carmel Lobello 6 months ago

Just like facts and flies, English words have life-spans. Some are thousands of years old, from before English officially existed, others change, or are replaced or get ditched entirely.
    Here are 18 uncommon or obsolete words that we think may have died early. We found them in two places: a book called “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk, and on a blog called Obsolete Word of The Day that’s been out of service since 2010. Both are fantastic— you should check them out.

Snoutfair: A person with a handsome countenance — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Pussyvan: A flurry, temper — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Wonder-wench: A sweetheart — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Lunting: Walking while smoking a pipe — John Mactaggart’s “Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia,” 1824

California widow: A married woman whose husband is away from her for any extended period — John Farmer’s “Americanisms Old and New”, 1889

Groak: To silently watch someone while they are eating, hoping to be invited to join them –www.ObsoleteWord.Blogspot.com

Jirble: To pour out (a liquid) with an unsteady hand: as, he jirbles out a dram —www.Wordnik.com

Curglaff: The shock felt in bathing when one first plunges into the cold water — John Jamieson’s Etymological Scottish Dictionary, 1808

Spermologer: A picker-up of trivia, of current news, a gossip monger, what we would today call a columnist — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Tyromancy: Divining by the coagulation of cheese — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Beef-witted: Having an inactive brain, thought to be from eating too much beef. — John Phin’s “Shakespeare Cyclopaedia and Glossary”, 1902

Queerplungers: Cheats who throw themselves into the water in order that they may be taken up by their accomplices, who carry them to one of the houses appointed by the Humane Society for the recovery of drowned persons, where they are rewarded by the society with a guinea each, and the supposed drowned person, pretending he was driven to that extremity by great necessity, is also frequently sent away with a contribution in his pocket. — “The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten” by Jeffrey Kacirk

Englishable: That which may be rendered into English — John Ogilvie’s “Comprehensive English Dictionary”, 1865

Resistentialism: The seemingly spiteful behavior shown by inanimate objects —www.ObsoleteWord.Blogspot.com

Bookwright: A writer of books; an author; a term of slight contempt — Daniel Lyons’s “Dictionary of the English Language”, 1897

Soda-squirt: One who works at a soda fountain in New Mexico — Elsie Warnock’s “Dialect Speech in California and New Mexico”, 1919

With squirrel: Pregnant — Vance Randolph’s “Down in the Holler: A Gallery of Ozark Folk Speech”, 1953

Zafty: A person very easily imposed upon — Maj. B. Lowsley’s “A Glossary of Berkshire Words and Phrases”, 1888

18 obsolete words, which never should have gone out of style | Death and Taxes
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

With squirrel: Pregnant
    I vote we use this phrase from henceforth when discussing a knocked-up celebrity.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Two of my favorite dead words:

smell smock: Obsolete appellation for a lecherous or promiscuous man, based on smock or chemise, whose activities gave him a smelly smock

bedswerver: one who is unfaithful
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Oh,my! I quite like these. I now realize some posters on here are beef-witted.
    Signed,
    Wonder-Wench
    olivia and Bluebonnet like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Slutswool: what we now term dust-bunnies
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

California Widow is just an American gold rush adaptation of the much older phrase Grass Widow, which I still use on occasion (usually when being sarcastic to the OH). It was originally grace widow but it changed with usage over the years.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

well alot of ya'll have a serious pussyvan
    Bluebonnet and McJag like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Well! Your husband is a queerplunger!
    shedevilang likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

That was not Englishable.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Stop being so beefwitted! Of course, it's Englishable - asshole!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I was once a California Widow. WOW. And I actually lived in California at the time while my husband was deployed. Cool.

Those are all perfectly cromulent words.
    Tati likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Spermologer: A picker-up of trivia, of current news, a gossip monger, what we would today call a columnist --I would like to think that's what we all are. Gossip mongers. Spermologers!

Resistentialism: The seemingly spiteful behavior shown by inanimate objects. --
    So that's what's going on when my computer crashes...
    JazzyGirl and Bluebonnet like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Spermologer: A picker-up of trivia, of current news, a gossip monger, what we would today call a columnist --I would like to think that's what we all are. Gossip mongers. Spermologers!
    This is what I think of when I see the word "spermologer"

Trixie likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

A lot of these words sound quite GR-ish. I like the idea of using 'with squirrel' for the pregnant celebs.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information