Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: To my, like, totally OLD friends at GR

A*O

Default To my, like, totally OLD friends at GR

Tell me this isn't true........

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
    1940's, 50's, 60's and 70’s(not to forget 1930's).

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.......
    WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. (what streetlights??)

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY, no video/dvd films, or colour TV, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating.

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
    They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
    And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Me and my seeing eye dog thank you profoundly.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

thats awesome AO! love it. I remember searching the trash cans and the fields by our house hoping to find a pop bottle that we could take to the store and get 2 cents LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

This is the one that stood out for me.

On a serious note, the world really has changed. My friend who was born in 1967 has two daughters aged 10 and 7. He walks them to school which is four blocks away and their babysitter picks them up after school. They will never be able to walk home from school even when the older one turns 14. (It's NYC but are the suburbs even safe these days)?

My favorite story that I must have mentioned here before was when my mother was driving me over to her friends house when I was six or 8 months old. She put me in one of those baby seats that you can place on top of the kitchen table or floor - the chair sat ON the front seat in the car. She was driving and stopped short and I tumbled onto the floor on the dirty rubber foot mat.

She pulled over and scooped me up. I was fine. She arrived at her friend's house with a dirty child. Her friend asked why is she all dirty?

The other thing we loved to do was play hooky. We went to the movie theatre when were 11. Can a good and responsible kid even play hooky now? Can a kid forge a parent's signature on an excuse note? It must all be done by email or something?
    Charlie likes this.

yep and we weren't allowed inside until dinner time let alone to hole up inside all day yelling at an xbox.
    dilligaf likes this.

I'm an 80s kid and a lot of these applied to me too! The wee village that I spent my teenage years in was one of the last places I saw that kids would be roaming around outside all day doing kid stuff, and they'd all walk to and from the little school together and whatnot. It's sad times that when I have children they won't have the same fun I did. I just hope I have a nice big garden so I can lock them outside and ignore their wails for the Xbox until dinner time
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

^^ So what do we think happened in the 90's and after?

70s/80s kid here. We only had 3 channels on TV and I remember when we got Atari. We got 1 game which we played the hell out of it until next Christmas when we MIGHT get another.
    Most of the time we were outside which I hate that we had no sunblock I am worried about all the damage that might have done since my mom is now turning up every few years with skin cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^ So what do we think happened in the 90's and after?
    Probably lots of things but I think media has a big hand it. The 24 hour news programming makes us think the world is more dangerous than when we were kids. So we keep ours closer.

Then there is children's programming. Remember when we were kids there was about 2 hours of kid's programming in the afternoon and maybe 4 hours on Saturday morning? That's all we got. Now kid's can watch cartoons 24/7 if they want. No need to go outside an entertain yourself.

Not too mention technology: video gaming systems, computers, ipods, ipads, whatever else. Kids never need to leave the sofa.

Yeah I think a lot of it is hyped-up stranger danger, I don't have kids yet so I don't know how I'd react, but there seems to be this fear to let your kids play outside in case somebody snatches them.
    shedevilang likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Weeell,in my time kids were everybody,s business.We will roam out all day at all weather and our mother,s friends around our house kept monitoring our comings and goings.They were free with a slap and a bout of yelling too if they saw it was fitting.We couldnt run home and complain that mrs so and so beat us..we will probably get more..Long as there was food at a table,no kid would go hungry.Women always left a tray of fresh meatballs they just fried for the' hood,s kids.And every afternoon women will gather at a veranda for coffee,bring green beans to be cleaned or shelled and talk .laugh and gossip.Therapists be damned,they all came back home for dinner ,relaxed and happy..no money ,most families dirt poor,but such a great sense of trust and security.that is what i miss the most.
    greysfang and Waterslide like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

CONGRATULATIONS!
    You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
    lol, yeah FUCK seatbelts, airbags, cancer screenings and the dirty nanny-state commies who won't let me have my asbestos and lead paint!!!
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'd blame the media before the government. Kids can't even walk outside because their parents are terrified some pedophile is going to snap them up. Kids are on cellphone leashes, and even if they weren't, they'd have no idea how to entertain themselves outside without a videogame anyway.
    chartreuse likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Like i often say,my generation was the wild flowers that grew up the garden flowers..now my son is having a 7mo baby,it is the hot house babies..they brought animals to a kid status and kids are these god like little shits...I gave my grandbaby a toy and my son said he cant have it cause it might have germs.I just said,so???and gave the baby the damn toy..I also have to ban the cats upstairs everytime they visit..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

The stranger danger reminded me of a facebook post just last week. Someone posted about a strange van in town, with dark windows, crawling down the street. It went up one side and then came down the other. Moderate panic ensued. Multiple people responded saying they saw it too. My god! Get the kids in the house! Someone notified the town police. Everyone patted the original poster on the back for "looking out for the children!"

I'd seen it too. So I posted "I sent my daughter out after it. It was raining. I didn't want my PHONE BOOK to get wet." Yup, it was the guy delivering new phone books. I guess the logo on the van and the fact that errbody had a new phone book were just pesky details better left for law enforcement to figure out.

My post actually seemed to annoy people. I guess I ruined the script for that day's drama. Everyone wants their life to be an action thriller wherein they are the hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information