Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to act Canadian, eh

Red face How to act Canadian, eh

In order to fool people that you are a Canadian you must take the following steps:

1) First of all, make sure that everyone around you knows that you are not American. If someone mistakes you for a yank, pretend to be mortally offended.

2) Buy a case of beer and watch the hockey game with your friends and family on Saturday night. It doesn't matter what game, or what time. The beer may be Canadian, or an import from Europe. Under no circumstances should you drink American beer while watching hockey.

3) After the game, complain about your team’s management and suggest brilliant ideas guaranteed to put your team back on top.

4) ...but point out that at least they are not an American team.

5) Depending on the season, complain about the heat or the cold to a complete stranger. Do this while you…

5a- Stand in line and pick up your Tim Hortons double-double coffee and maple cream donut.

5b- After lunch/breakfast/dinner (see above)

5c- Get “oot and aboot”: go (ice) fishing, go to your cottage, strap on a snowboard or skis, take a kayak/canoe for a paddle, have a campfire in the great outdoors, watch the northern lights, all while drinking a (Canadian or European import, never American) beer and/or enjoying some prime B.C. weed.

6) Make fun of American presidents whenever possible.

7) If anybody asks " Do you know (insert name here) who lives in Canada?", claim that you do and that you're old friends.

8) And finally, make a big deal about never making a big deal out of all the fresh air and water.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: How to act Canadian, eh

Pffft. Trying too hard. The true essence of Canada is apathy!

Actually none of those stereotypes fit me. Double-doubles are far too sugary for me and I hate hockey. Yup, apathy all the way.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I love being in Team Speak (voice chat) with a Canadian when they say "aboot"
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

I was born and raised in Canada and I've lived here (and a lot of other places) and not only have I never said anything remotely like "oot and aboot," neither has any other Canadian I've ever known or heard. This is a big, fat myth. Seriously.

Still, it's better than saying, "Huh" all the time. So many Americans say this without realizing that it makes them seem stupid even if they're not. Excuse me, pardon me, could you repeat that, even what would be better than a long-drawn out huuuuuuuh. And we pronounce roof properly -- not "ruff" -- and aunt is "ant," not auuunt. So there!!!!

Funny enough, when I am talking to my American friend on the phone, whenever I say "about" or "out", he laughs and says I said "aboot" or "oot"

There are other words he's pointed out, too but they escape the ole mind at the moment

I'm pretty good at hearing accents, and not one of my American friends has ever told me I say that. I've also heard Americans and Canadians talking together zillions of time and I've never noticed that those particular words are pronounced differently.

Maybe it depends on which part of the States they are from?

I notice with my friend, he says "dog" and "daughter" funny. He was raised in Maryland. He came here and a few of my friends noticed that there were a few words he pronounced slightly differently than the way we pronounce them.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Still, it's better than saying, "Huh" all the time. So many Americans say this without realizing that it makes them seem stupid even if they're not. Excuse me, pardon me, could you repeat that, even what would be better than a long-drawn out huuuuuuuh. And we pronounce roof properly -- not "ruff" -- and aunt is "ant," not auuunt. So there!!!!
    What part of the country were you in? Cos 'round these parts we also say "ant" and "roof", and the only folks I've heard say "huh" are 14-year-old boys I think the "ahnt" thing is mostly from southern blacks, and I think "ruff" is southern-speak in general. They talk funny down there

ETA - I do, however, say "eh" quite a bit, and I've never even set foot in Canada.
    Last edited by DeChayz; June 8th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.

I'm originally from Alberta, but I've lived in B.C. a long time. I've also lived in Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, Los Angeles, New York, San Franciso Bay area, and London.

Mmmm... what was London like? I think that's one place I'd love to visit, I've heard the people are lovely and it just seems to have a wonderful atmosphere

I'm from California (although not originally, have lived in a few other states including south and midwest). The "aboot" is pretty clear to me and others too, and the Canadians in TS don't seem to hear the difference, but it's there. It seems to me that not all of the Canadians pronounced it that way either, but then it wasn't THAT big of deal that I was really keeping track. Not sure where these guys were from - I wonder if it's just a regional thing?

You can never hear your own "accent" anyway. I listen to people on TV from southern California with that distinctive California accent and wonder if that's what I sound like! (Kind of like that 'Shoes' video). PLEASE I don't wanna sound like that!

I should just visit Canada, then I'd know for sure!
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Actually, I can hear my own accent -- I've been exposed to a lot of accents and the longer I live somewhere, the more I sound like the locals. I guess I have more of a West Coast/slightly British accent but I've been pretty Americanized over the years.

People in the Maritimes, especially Newfoundland, have very strong accents, and they say "eh" a lot.

Where is TS? The south?

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz
    What part of the country were you in? Cos 'round these parts we also say "ant" and "roof", and the only folks I've heard say "huh" are 14-year-old boys I think the "ahnt" thing is mostly from southern blacks, and I think "ruff" is southern-speak in general. They talk funny down there

ETA - I do, however, say "eh" quite a bit, and I've never even set foot in Canada.
    You are so correct on that "auuunnt/ahnt" thing its a southern black pronouncation. Funny thing is my mom says "ant" while my aunt says "auuunnt/ahnt".
    I have noticed when watching Divine Design or Get Color those two woman have an accent.
    Pretty sad but my first impression of Canada is Second City Television. Eugene Levy, John Candy, Rick Moranis and I always loved Andrea Martin. Also seeing the movie Strange Brew. LOVED them both

My mom still says 'ruff' for 'roof'. She's from Chicago. I've never met any Canadian who said 'oot', 'aboot', or 'eh' though.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I'd love to be a Canadian, but I'll have to get rid of this Texas accent first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information