Thread: Retarded calls to 911 dispatchers.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation Retarded calls to 911 dispatchers.

CHP Dispatchers Being Deluged With Bizarre Calls

POSTED: 10:48 am PST March 31, 2006

OAKLAND -- California Highway Patrol dispatchers are facing a growing number of 911 calls each day that have nothing to do with police emergencies -- a trend officials say could be dangerous when there is a real need for aid.

CHP public safety dispatcher supervisor Daphne Thomas said the agencies Bay Area switchboard handles about 6,000 calls a day with some 800 generally having to do with people being locked out of their apartment, asking recommendations for restaurants, seeking a traffic report, ordering pizzas or having some kind of utility problem.

Sgt. Wayne Ziese said each of those calls is taking up value time and effort from dispatchers.

"Every time a 911 call is answered, it ties up a line and a dispatcher," Ziese said. "That means another call can't be answered right away."

Some Bay Area cities are now taking their own 911 calls from cell phone users to help lighten the load on the dispatch center. Union City police will begin taking calls next month. San Francisco, San Jose, and Alameda are also taking their own calls. To get an idea of the kind of call the CHP is handing click on the audio link at the top.

cnn.com

what the hell is wrong with these people!? Restaurant Recommendations?!?

Default Re: Retarded calls to 911 dispatchers.

I dont get some people. Why do these people think that 911 is the right number to dial for this random stuff?? people are nuts, i cant handle it!

If you don't need police, ambulance or fire personnel but need a number or to be connected to some other service or need information you used to be able to dial zero and talk to a live human operator. Why not institute a number like 811? 811, when it's not quite life or death! There could be some charge per call. And they ought to fine the hell out of people who misuse the emergency numbers.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy
    People are morons and don't care that they are possibly causing harm to others. This is a ME society where nobody could give a rat's ass about their fellow human beings.
    You are killing me Killjoy!!! You are reminding me of a saying that one of my friends used to have a long time ago: 'the world is a dark and foreboding place where virtue and kindness are swallowed up by incessant greed!'.. He was just nothing but sunshine and roses, I tell ya!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

we have 311 in nyc that is for stuff like "restaurant recommondations"(not really, but lol) they should inplement some nationwide number like that.

or maybe people could just call 411

Zee

I had to call 911 for my husband. In a total panic I looked for the phone's 11 button. My husband was not amused and I am still embarassed.

Can not imagine calling to get a restaurant suggestion.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I call 411 for info. It's not hard and it doesn't cost a lot of money. The operator will pick up and looks up the info for you.

Elite Member

I was a 911 police dispatcher for 6 yrs. I loved it. Hated the shift work though...that's the only reason I left. I got a promotion and went elsewhere, but yes, all the stories are true. You get a lot of stupid calls. Most from elderly people unfortunately.

Thread Information