Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racegoers' annual display of orange skin and clashing colours at Aintree

Default Racegoers' annual display of orange skin and clashing colours at Aintree

Grand National meeting off and running at Aintree with racegoers' annual display of orange skin and clashing colours

By Maysa Rawi
    Last updated at 6:47 PM on 8th April 2010

Anyone hoping racegoers would tone down their outfits following last year's assorted rainbow of clashing prints will be disappointed as Aintree kicked off today.

It's not Ladies Day until tomorrow but the women were out in full force - with heavy fake tan and flouncy florals the order of the day.

And no one appeared to be pacing pacing themselves ahead of the rest of the week's events as punters proved the WAG fad is showing no signs of dying.

The long...: Floral max-dresses galore as crowds of women descended on Aintree for the first day of the races

..And short of it: Racegoers took inspiration from many forms, including bananas and Coronation Street's Vera Duckworth
    The worst offenders basked in the Spring sunshine sporting acid neons and over-accessorising maxi-dresses with shocking clutch bags and fascinators.
    It appears not many at Aintree subscribe to the theory that 'less is more' and the colourful display is no doubt just a taste of what is to come over the next few days.

And onlookers could be forgiven for thinking a brunette dressed in a slashed one-piece and high heels was just another racegoer instead of a model in a fashion show.

Here come the girls: A foursome take inspiration from an episode of Footballers' Wives

In the pink: Perhaps these girls were inspired by Colleen Rooney's pink number from last year's race

Matalan hosted the runway event which failed to add any element of style to the Grand National.

Elsewhere, wannabe Wags piled on the make-up for the Merseyside event, battling it out for most garish outfits, and it was certainly a close call.
    Floral maxi-dresses were out in full force, and although the trend is hot off the catwalk, the looks were far from couture.

Hat's off: Model Tracy Gunn wears a specially commissioned Liverpool day head piece

Clash of the acids: Racegoers didn't only shock in the colour department, they wore ill-fitting outfits

Get together: A trio of ladies have a drink and a laugh as they enjoy the sunshine

Faux-pas: Despite their outlandish attire, the girls still happily pose for pictures

Footballers Robbie Fowler and retired Steve McManaman formed the celebrity contingency for today, bringing their families with them as they opted for the smart look.
    Robbie's wife Kerrie proved the ultimate anti-Wag in opaque tights and flat pumps.
    Perhaps she was trying to avoid guilt by association.
    Either way, the brunette certainly stole the show and gets top marks for keeping it simple.

Doting dads: Footballers Robbie Fowler, left, and retired Steve Mcmanaman, right, take the children out

Family day out: The real Wag sensibly chooses not to attract attention in a demure outfit

Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson was jumping for joy again the day after Manchester United were knocked out of the Champions League, as his horse What A Friend romped home to win the totesport Bowl.
    In a dramatic race Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Imperial Commander fell, but nothing could stop What A Friend, ridden by Ruby Walsh.

Model behaviour: Is that Liz Hurley? Er, no, the Matalan fashion show fails to add any style to the garish event

Strike a pose: Matalan shows off its collection of bright hats and trendy harem pants with gladiator sandles

Ferguson said: 'I'm very pleased, it's fantastic and I was so excited.

'It's great. That's the beauty of the racing game. Every fence you're jumping yourself, that's the beauty of it.'
    'We knew the form of Carruthers because we've run against him in the past, so I was quite happy, but the other fella (Nacarat) gave me a fright.'

Victory: What A Friend ridden by Ruby Walsh wins the big race at Aintree, the totesport Bowl Steeple Chase, for Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson at 5-2

Read more: Grand National: Aintree kicks off as racegoers abandon show off usual display of orange skin and clashing prints | Mail Online

I love the annual fashion disaster parade that is Aintree!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

WTF? Is this "Take a Ho to the Races"? I think I got a migraine from these people.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

SVZ

yay! more pics!

a herd of couches
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Exquisite looking ladies.

I so look forward to this thread every year!

what is the temp this time of year? These creatures are dressed like it's in the 80's...
    Last edited by Lalique; April 8th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Exquisite looking ladies.
    Aintree is literally 15 minutes drive from me (and no, I'm not from/in Liverpool or a scouser thankyouverymuch!) and this is about as Klassy as it gets. Half of these women look like they've been through a Dragulator and this is when they are trying to be posh. You should see them when they are dressed for a night in the clubs around Liverpool

This event never disappoints me.

I'm a bit on the heavy side & the LAST thing I would wear is floral drapery. These 'ladies' really seem to pull it off though...
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Aintree is literally 15 minutes drive from me
    Pics please.

-- Stephen Hawking

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Lol I'd love to, but I don't drive and am not slogging to Aintree on the bus just to get arrested for standing outside snapping random orange gargoyles as they stagger in on their designer knockoff heels. If I had remembered that it was on I would have gone and hung about in the local Wetherspoons and snapped off some shots on my phone for you. The locals tend to gather in there for a few drinks before carrying on to the races.

Just had a look on Multimap - apparently Aintree is 9.6 miles from me.

Oh is it THAT time of year again in the UK!? Awesome.

I can't wait for more pics.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Omg, what manner of tacky trashiness is this??

I LOVE IT! I'd never heard of this!

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information