Thread: American Girl releases new homeless doll

Default American Girl releases new homeless doll

The Mommy Files : American Girl releases new homeless doll

Every American Girl doll has a story. Julie Albright lives in the Haight/Ashbury in the 1970s. Kaya is a Native American girl of the Nez Perce tribe in the 1760s. Addy Walker is a fugitive slave in the 1860s. And Gwen Thompson, one of the Mattel company's newest dolls, is a homeless person living in 2009.

The stories told in the books accompanying these dolls are educational and heart-warming. The stories have morals and strong, young characters who beat the odds. It's because of the books that parents and grandparents are willing to fork over $95 for a doll.
    But social commentators are questioning Gwen's heart-wrenching tale. Is Mattel presenting an important social issue to children by manufacturing a doll who faces real, present day challenges? Or is the company commodifying and prettifying the issue by slapping on a Barbie Band Aid? And how can you charge nearly $100 for a doll that's supposed to promote compassion for homeless people?
    Gwen debuted several months ago as sidekick to "Girl of the Year" Chrissa, and in a book titled Chrissa you'll read about how Gwen's father walks out on her and her mom. The mother and daughter lose their house, spend time living in the car, and bed down at a homeless shelter. But they eventually get their lives back together and move into an apartment.
    On page 113 of the Chrissa book Gwen's mom says, "I'd park so that we'd wake up near a wayside rest area or a restaurant--somewhere where we could use the sink for washing up--and then I'd go to work and pretend that live was just as it had always been...I was too ashamed to ask for help. And then the first snows fell. We buried ourselves. Barely sleeping, even though we were exhausted. Finally, when all seemed lost, we found help through the caring staff at Sunrise House. Without Sunrise House, I don't know where we'd be today."
    "New York Post" columnist Andrea Peyser, who is known for her strong opinions, was the first to take a stab at Gwen. In her column, she calls the introduction of Gwen an "all-out political indoctrination" and she says the doll's biography is "weird and potentially offensive enough to keep Mom running to the Maalox." And mainly she accuses Mattel of sending a mixed message by putting a $95 price tag on this doll that a homeless child could never afford.
    Others seem to have more compassion for Gwen.
    "I don't think there's anything wrong with a sensitive portrayal of a girl who happens to be in this situation--especially given that she's apparently smart, accomplished and a terrific musician," writes Sadie for Jezebel.
    On Babble, Jeanne Sager wrote, "...I'm willing to take feminism out of the equation just this once and allow maybe they're just showing what life is like for a heaping helping of America's kids? And that's good for the haves--to learn--and good for the have-nots too, the kids who might actually recognize themselves in the faces of a doll for once."
    What does American Girl have to say about all of this? After the "Post" column appeared, they issued a statement: "Our singular goal with these stories is to help girls find their inner star by becoming kind, compassionate, and loving people who make a positive and meaningful difference in the world around them."
    What do you think about Gwen? Would you buy Gwen for your child and do you think the doll is communicating an important message? How do you feel about the $95 price tag?

a homeless doll? that's awesome. and hilarious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What's next? The Serial Killer doll?

Bitch better stay off homeless Barbie's corner! That's her corner! She'll cut a bitch.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That Barbie is the best! What about Stripping her way through college doll?
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Note her bikini top on Ken's head.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

that doll is homeless? she dresses better than i do.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

How do they expect to make any money on this doll? She doesn't come with any accessories?
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Give me a break
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    How do they expect to make any money on this doll? She doesn't come with any accessories?
    Sadly, her Dream House isn't a big seller.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ Well, at least her Dream House comes fully equipped with a Dream Guy!

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

This thread is a win!
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Thread Information