Thread: Want ads from 1865....any respectable and literate girls out there?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Want ads from 1865....any respectable and literate girls out there?

The Guardian

Servants Wanted
    Head Waitress, for country hotel; wages 16-23A [per year]; Cooks; 80 places, at 12 to 25: General Servants; 60 places, at 10 to 14. - 26A, Oldham-st.

General Servants, 12: English: no washing: not less than 12 months' character. - 106, Brunswick-st.

For a gentleman's family near Accrington, a butler, single-handed: none need apply without good character for sobriety and ability. - Mrs Hodgson

A plain cook: must be able to wash, with assistance. - Address Box N 12, Post-office.

A plain cook who is an experienced general servant: family small: no washing. - Richmond Grove East, last house on the right.
    A girl, about 16, for a private family in the country. - Mrs Grumbridge, Bolton-street, Salford

A respectable girl, about 15, who can read and write, to attend upon a lady. - 2, Roman Road Terrace, Higher Broughton

Wet Nurse Wanted: must be perfectly healthy and have a good character. - Apply at the printer's

Staff Wanted

A Youth, as Billiard Marker, and to make himself useful: good character required. - Apply at the printer's.

A stout, active youth as apprentice to a Pork Butcher: must be a good scholar. - Apply at 245, Deansgate, Manchester.

A highly respectable young man for a Vault. Good references indispensable. - Address F53

A steady person, to attend a small engine. - Apply, from one to three, on Wednesday, at 21, Back Mayers-street,

A respectable man for Boots, single-handed: good reference required. - White Hart hotel, Uttoxeter

Common Puddlers, Shinglers, Forge rollers, Hammermen for Tyrebars, Rollers of Tyres and Bar-iron, Furnacemen and others. Regular employment for good steady Workmen (non-union). - Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company, Openshaw.

A firstclass locksmith and bellhanger: none others need apply. - 256, Deansgate.

A Clicker. - Address stating references &C. J. Finley, 46 King-Street.

A man who thoroughly understands making first-class glue. - Address F61 at the printers.

Soap-Boilers. - wanted, a steady, sober man who thoroughly understands the makings of first-class soaps. - Guardian offices, Warrington.

Hatters' shopmen: wanted, a first-class salesman for retail shop: must be an experienced man. - 38, Bull-street, Birmingham.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: Want ads from 1865....any respectable and literate girls out there?

A man who thoroughly understands making first-class glue.
    Ahh, the man I was looking for.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I wonder if anyone knows how to make glue from scratch, without any machines, anymore?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lot of drunks back then, weren't there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Glues not that hard to make. We make it and soap on the bayou.. My great grand never trusted inventions like pre made soap and glue. They were inventions of the devil according to her.

Why were they inventions of the devil? Didn't she know that human beings in factories made it, and that it was just a larger scale version of what she was doing?

Wtf is with this kind of demented suspicious behavior, it's screwed up
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Why were they inventions of the devil? Didn't she know that human beings in factories made it, and that it was just a larger scale version of what she was doing?

Wtf is with this kind of demented suspicious behavior, it's screwed up
    Untwist your panties Grimmlok, it was a joke. My great granny was extremely suspicious yes, but I was actually referencing "The Waterboy" where the waterboy's cajun momma said everything was 'de debull' just like my great granny. But she did teach me to make soap and glue, it's not that hard.

I like my panties twisted, they squeeze everything just right.

I just can't fathom how a person with a brain could think like that.

Never claimed suspicous Cajun voodoo women have brains or think.

I knew a crazy religious woman who wouldn't eat any food that she thought came from the devil. That included anything with the word "devil" in it, (devil's food cake was out, as was Underwood Deviled ham) but also anything that had any red on the package. If you want to make yourself crazy, try buying only food products that don't have a speck of red on the packaging.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Thread Information