Thread: Princess Anne takes inspiration from Vietnam's rice fields for her Easter bonnet

Default Princess Anne takes inspiration from Vietnam's rice fields for her Easter bonnet

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:00 PM on 13th April 2009

What was she thinking? Amid the Easter bonnets on parade by the Royal Family yesterday Princess Anne's choice appeared the most unusual, seemingly taking inspiration from the Far East.

Dressed in a russet suit, her hat featured a cluster of miniature artificial fruit at the back of a straw hat.

Fruit basket: Princess Anne's hat was compared to that of a Vietnamese rice farmer, below, complete with a bizarre bandage-like ribbon

The bizarre millinery also featured a bandage-like tie at the back.

This led some observers to note that it looked like the type of sunhat worn by Vietnamese rice farmers.
    Amid the selection of royal bonnets Sophie, Countess of Wessex, appeared with what looked like an entire bird perched on her head.
    The tall, trilby-style design made its statement thanks to a variety of different feathers.
    The Queen's pale blue confection was a sweeter finish, playing the role of dessert.

Recently hailed as a fashion icon, Her Royal Highness's headwear perfectly matched her suit.

Enlarge

On parade: Princess Anne's hat featured a cluster of miniature oranges and plums as decoration. The Queen chose a pale blue number decorated with buttons

The minimal button-like decorations looked elegant in contrast with the millinery sported by her fellow royals.

After the service, she and her family accepted posies of flowers from well-wishers outside St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Flight of fancy: The Countess of Wessex's hat was adorned with feathers

Blue belle: The Queen wore a simple pastel design decorated with buttons to accompany her cream tweed coat and dress

Lady in red: Camilla's simple beret featured two feathers

Holly Goldsmith, the 11-year-old daughter of the housekeeper at Frogmore House, said afterwards: 'I was excited to give flowers to the Queen. She was nice, and I spoke to the Duke of Edinburgh.'
    The Duchess of Cornwall meanwhile took part in as Easter service with Prince Charles at Glen Muick Church in Ballater, Scotland.

But she did not prove any less bold in her choice of headwear, opting for a vibrant red beret.
    Luckily the decoration was kept to a minimum, a pair of delicate feathers the only adornment.
    A vintage-look choker of pearls completed her accessories. Appropriately the Duchess opted for a tartan collar in honour of the Scottish location.
    Usually one to raise the fashion stakes at such occasions, Zara Phillips spent Easter in her jodhpurs and riding hat.

The 27-year-old was in France taking part in the CCI eventing competition.
    The young Royal was competing with two horses in dressage and cross-country, but only achieved positions of 76th and 80th.

The Queen now looks the very spitting image of her mother, doesn't she?
    I think she's improved with age.

And I love the Easter Hat Parade! American fashions are just so pedestrian. Gotta love a little over-the-top chic.

A*O

Sophie Wessex's suit is very blah but I like the hat. She's very attractive.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    The Queen now looks the very spitting image of her mother, doesn't she?
    I think she's improved with age.
    It's as if the gray hair has softened her up a bit.

I swear, these hats! If I wore anything like the ones in the pictures, I simply could not go about my day without thinking about that hat on my head, every single minute.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

I wish we had more occasions when hats are de rigeur. The used to be a given at weddings/christenings/funerals and some other formal occasions in the UK or even just going to church on Sunday but not any more. We went to a fairly grand wedding a few weeks ago and I assumed a hat was in order so I dug out my "wedding hat" but was told it wasn't necessary and I'm glad I didn't wear it because I'd have been the only one there who did. The men all wore formal suits but apart from MrAO none of them even wore a tie. He whipped his off ASAP.

My deal old granny wouldn't DREAM of leaving the house, even to go grocery shopping, without a hat, gloves, overcoat, handbag and matching shoes. She came from an era where it was expected. I'm glad things are a little more relaxed these days but sometimes I wish we had dress codes to follow. I bet all our grandfathers wore hats and suits when they were out and about. My late FIL wore a suit, shirt and tie every day of his life no matter what the weather or what he was doing.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I enjoy seeing women wearing them, but it would make me terribly self-conscious. The only time I ever see them is at the horse races, and even then, it's unusual. I think some black ladies still wear them to church around here.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

bunch of idiots! get a job!!

These hats are pretty shit. I love hats, love having occasion to wear them, or fascinators. I do love a chic hat.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    And I love the Easter Hat Parade! American fashions are just so pedestrian.
    I know. I wish we wore hats here, but I don't know one woman who would ever wear a beautiful hat for any occasion. I'm seriously considering going to the Kentucky Derby, so maybe that'll be my reason to wear one at least once.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

sophie essex looks like Gillian Anderson

Elite Member

Anne is always sartorially challenged.

The suit is better than the hat, tho. But not her colour imo.

I really like Queenie's hat/coat/dress ensemble. That pale blue is a good choice.

But Wessex???? Did she get those feather from the shoot? Thats guinea fowl & pheasant.... & looks disasterous!
    Free Charmed.

How weird that I just thought (being American and all) that I'd love to get ahold of the Queen's hat collection... nobody wears hats anymore.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

i think sophie wessex and camilla's hats are awesome. especially camilla's. even though her necklace and whatever she's wearing look like crap.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information