Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a photograph of a ghost? The science of hauntings

Default Is this a photograph of a ghost? The science of hauntings

An eerie image of a figure in period costume at a Scottish castle has spooked experts conducting the biggest ever investigation into photographic evidence for ghosts. The picture, taken in May 2008, appears to show a man or woman in a ruff peering out of a barred window at Tantallon Castle. No mannequins or costumed guides are employed at the castle, and three photographic experts have confirmed that no digital trickery was used on the photo. Tantallon Castle, a ruined fortress dating back to the 14th century, stands on a remote rocky headland near North Berwick on the Scottish east coast
    Members of the public were asked to submit ghostly images for experts to analyse, the best of which were posted on the website www.scienceofhauntings.com

Runners up were as follows: Second place; "The Ghost in the Woods": The picture appears to show a strange ghostly figure in the trees. Sceptics' explanation: Probably simply a mixture of shadows, leaves and branches

Fourth place; "The Ghost on the Beach": A mysterious dark hooded figure stands at the water's edge. Sceptics' explanation: The figure is an illusion created by an indentation in the rock face

Fifth place; "The Ghost in the Mirror": A ghostly face appears in a car's wing mirror. The photographer says no-one else was around at the time. Sceptics' explanation: The face could be a reflection of a headrest, someone standing nearby, or the result of digital manipulation

Some of the other photos submitted to the site include this 'face' image. Possibly due to people seeing patterns in random shapes. Photographer Filip Gazi

A misty face looms large in this photo, possibly caused by condensed breath in front of the lens. Photographer Lorraine Morrison

Taken whilst the photographer was out walking with his children and dog, this image appears to contain a strange figure in the trees. Skeptics argue that the apparent figure is simply a mixture of shadows, leaves and branches

A 'figure' image. Possibly due to a double image or long exposure

This picture by Michael Dunbar appears to show a ghostly figure walking up the path, but sceptics say this is probably another long exposure

An 'orb' image. Possibly caused by the camera flash reflecting off tiny dust particles. Photographer Mark Stock

Is this a photograph of a ghost? The Science Of Hauntings - Telegraph

boogety, boogety!

LOL. Someone submitted that as evidence of a haunting? My camera has produced several images like this, especially with photos taken in poor lighting.

I used to date this guy and we were all out one New Year's Eve and we took at least a roll of film and in every picture that he was in, there was always a weird red foggy looking shadow. ONLY in the pictures he was in. We took pictures in front and behind the ones of him of other people and there wouldn't be anything unless he was in the pictures. it was weird. glad I broke up with him...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^^omg....like in the omen!

my co worker took a few pics at a recent party and in a few there was a weird foggy shape, when they went home the found out her grandma had passed in her sleep that day...weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post

LOL. Someone submitted that as evidence of a haunting? My camera has produced several images like this, especially with photos taken in poor lighting.
    If you look on ghost picture websites, there are a lot of similar pics; they call the spots "orbs", which is supposed to be some type of a sign of ghost activity. The ones that look like smoke they call "mists".

This one is beyond creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post

This one is beyond creepy.
    Have you ever seen this one:

The Back Seat Ghost

Mrs. Mabel Chinnery was visiting the grave of her mother one day in 1959. She had brought along her camera to take photographs of the gravesite. After snapping a few shots of her mother's gravestone, she took an impromptu photo of her husband, who was waiting alone in the car. At least the Chinnerys thought he was alone.
    When the film was developed, the couple was more than surprised to see a figure wearing glasses sitting in the back seat of the car. Mrs. Chinnery immediately recognized the image of her mother the woman whose grave they had visited on that day. A photographic expert who examined the print determined that the image of the woman was neither a reflection nor a double exposure. "I stake my reputation on the fact that the picture is genuine," he testified.

^ewww too weird!

Hit By Ban Bus!

The figure at the Scottish castle looks like a cartoon. I know "experts" said there was no evidence of digital manipulation but still...

Do you guys remember this from TAPS? That was the scariest shit ever. If you watch the episode you can tell it's not a reflection of Grant, as some skeptics claim. When the figure is visible the "2" (on a locker) can be seen on the thermal image; when the figure is no longer visible the 2 also cannot be seen. Grant went over and over the same spot but the image never reappeared, so it couldn't have been his reflection.

Looks like James Brown to me!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

these are scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post

Looks like James Brown to me!!
    Lolz. I bet James Brown looks like this round about now.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

^ Funny, I thought it looked like Engelbert Humperdinck! James Brown would work there too.

Elite Member

This is the one that always scared the crap out of me. It's allegedly one of the Lutz kids (the family that the The Amityville Horror, was based on).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information