Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fake tan, fascinators and overdressed fillies: Welcome to race day at Aintree

Default Fake tan, fascinators and overdressed fillies: Welcome to race day at Aintree

Fake tan, fascinators and overdressed fillies: Welcome to race day at Aintree

By Tamara Abraham
    Last updated at 4:51 PM on 02nd April 2009

Fake tan and fascinators were the order of the day as the Grand National Festival kicked off at Aintree today.
    Knocking back beer and Pimms, the racing revellers looked to be enjoying themselves as their feather headresses fought for attention with frilly frocks.
    Thigh-high hemlines revealed orange skin to rival David Dickenson, while those in maxi dresses had opted for fabrics more akin to the Von Trapp family's curtains in The Sound of Music.

Fashion faux pas: Fake tan, cleavage and thigh-high hemlines were the order of the day as racegoers enjoyed refreshments at the Grand National Festival at Aintree today

The dubious outfits even outshone eccentric pundit John McCririck, whose signature deerstalker hat was teamed with an all-red ensemble.

In anticipation of such fashion faux pas, retailer Matalan had laid on a fashion first aid tent to tend to racegoers broken heels and windswept hair. But even they couldn't make up for the spectacular colour clashing that was the result of visitors' attempts at style.
    A head-to-toe leopard ensemble was completed by a wide-brim animal-print hat. The effect was worsened by the wearer's proximity to her friend who opted for a floral dress accented with lipstick pink and red.

Garish prints: From Pucci-esque frills to flouncy florals, racegoers' eye-catching efforts included a head-to-toe leopard ensemble

Another leggy lady chose a coral-pink babydoll frock, teamed with gold clutch bag and sandals. Unfortunately the girl in question was wearing so much fake tan, it was near impossible to notice anything else - not least her more soberly dressed friend in frilly chocolate brown.
    A fellow racegoer had gone one better and flaunted her cleavage as well as her legs in a clingy fuchsia-print wrap dress.

It's not fancy dress: One racegoer ruffles a few feathers with her peacock headdress; another takes her style lead from 'Allo Allo'. Those in more muted tones compensated with brightly coloured hair

Flower power: Some punters lose their fashion bearings with dubious taste in floral maxi dresses

Even those who had opted for more muted outfits didn't disappoint, with brightly-dyed hair in red and purple.
    The outlandish outfits and fine weather lent the day a festive atmosphere, with racegoers enjoying beer and Pimms in the early summer sunshine.

Colour clash: Eye-catching shades of purple, pink and red were made worse by the too-tight cheap fabrics

Around 30,000 people attended Aintree today but the big draw will be on Saturday when the Grand National takes place.
    In its 162nd year the famous steeplechase is expected to pull in millions of viewers from around the world.
    Expect more fashion finery tomorrow when the women get dolled up for Ladies' Day and compete for the coveted 'Best Dressed Award'.
    Coleen Rooney will be on hand to present the award to the most fashionable race-goer.

But if these pictures are anything to go by she'll be hard pressed to pick a winner.

Oh I love these, I remember the thread from last year, what fun!

I actually like this outfit and hair colour, but on someone about half her size maybe. It's not very flattering on her!

I don't think this one is that bad really.

I can almost smell the WKDs....!

OH MY GOD.

They basically all have the same scowling, tight jawed facial expression! Unbelievable.
    ssabmud

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Its that time of year, innit
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Rough as old boots.

Wasn't this a classy affair back in the day, with very large hats and such?

Wtf happened. Jesus christ. It's like the gutter slatterns took over.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

No, you're thinking of Ascott. Aintree is the low rent version of that.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Painful to the eyes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    Fake tan, fascinators and overdressed fillies: Welcome to race day at Aintree

By Tamara Abraham
    Last updated at 4:51 PM on 02nd April 2009

"OH MY GOD"

Oh dear Jesus

So far, she's the winnner

what was that one on the right thinking?? what do those shoes go with... looks like the one on the left just caught a glimpse of those shoes....

I bet the big one is wearing big flowery granny panties....

WTF???

just wow

I like that hair color

this wouldn't be too bad at the beach and barefoot...

looks like someone pulled a scarlett and had their mammy make curtains out of the drapes.

Do I spy a BumpIt????

Latest line at whoresRus??
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

OMG, what a bunch of chav trolls!!!!!!!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    The one on the right is a man in drag, or am I imagining things? I can't help yhinking that she is in fact the other woman's husband/male partner, from her face, her completle lack of make-up, height difference and where their arms are touching each other... If not, then she's proberly the other woman's ugly daughter

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    No, you're thinking of Ascott. Aintree is the low rent version of that.
    Yes, Royal Ascot is a totally different can of beans. No chavs allowed. I don't think they let you in at Aintree unless you ARE a chav. Sometimes I'm totally proud of my British heritage innit.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I like looking at those people.

I sometimes wonder if they think that they look good?

twitchy2.0 - Ooo. Last year had a lot more pictures! I tried to find some more from this year. Here's some from The Guardian.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information