Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassie at 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards (10/08/2007)

Yo MTV Raps.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    black people don't get oscars??? all the other channels are for whites? wow, this thread has been really enlightening...
    Oh, of course they do... In the entire history of the Academy Awards, we have a "handful" of black winners. There is also Halle Berry, who is the only African-American to have won the award for Best Actress.

Let me clarify about the TV networks...

I'm talking about the mainstream channels (i.e., NBC, CBS, ABC) who still even TODAY, present ALL white sitcoms and drama's with occasional appearances by minorities. While there are African-American shows on more significantly, smaller networks (CW).

Anyway, the award show wasn't honoring only black women... But All women of color who have made contributions in their careers and communities. The mainstream doesn't give recognition to many of these women, so I see nothing wrong with an award show created to do so.

If the show wasn't titled "Black Girls Rock!" would there still be a fuss?
    Last edited by Natee471; October 10th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natee471 View Post
    Oh, of course they do... In the entire history of the Academy Awards, we have a "handful" of black winners. There is also Halle Berry, who is the only African-American to have won the award for Best Actress.

I'm talking about the mainstream channels (i.e., NBC, CBS, ABC) who still even TODAY, present ALL white sitcoms and drama's with occasional appearances by minorities. While there are African-American shows on more significantly, smaller networks (CW).

Anyway, the award show wasn't honoring only black women... But All women of color who have made contributions in their careers and communities. The mainstream doesn't give recognition to many of these women, so I see nothing wrong with an award show created to do so.

Well said and Thank You!!!

Honestly can't believe how this turned into a black/white issue. This is the celeb photo section, take your issues with black gatherings to another forum.

What channel was the Cosby Show on (and is still on each day), A Different World, Living Single??? Was it BET that these shows originally started being shown on? I don't think there is a "fuss". What, 2 posters here said "some people will hand out awards for any reason" and that's a fuss? are you kidding me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Sun View Post
    Well said and Thank You!!!

Honestly can't believe how this turned into a black/white issue. This is the celeb photo section, take your issues with black gatherings to another forum.
    Again, it isn't an issue here and there is no fuss. Apparently, if white people or random posters say a word about a program with the word "black" in it, WE are causing an issue or a fuss. Is there a race forum? No, then I'll say it here.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

A show/organization is titled Black Girls Rocks... I think that is the stupidest fucking thing ever. How the hell is that honorable or empowering? Anyway, I keep getting a Violent Femmes song stuck in my head...

She looks really young. How old is she?

Yuck the whole outfit is so bad, but she is pretty.
    Love ya,
    Dara

I wonder if a 'White girls Rule!!!' awards ceremony would go ahead.

that's all.

^ mmm ya, was about to say the same thing...

Oh great, here comes the this-isn't-fair-if-it-was-white-it'd-be-racist fucking bullshit. Shut it already.

White folks don't need 'separation' (if thats what you want to call it) because they are already the majority. I hate every time this is brought up, with a hissy fit. Its funny to hear the privileged bitch about a minority for 'unfairness'. And its always black. Everything else goes unminded. Isn't 'Women Rock' period sexist? How come we can't have Men Rock? Why do gays get their own parade? Why can't straight people get their own parade!

Fucking stupid.

Dismember yourself from the Adrienne Curry fanclub and get some common sense.

Don't really care for the hairstyle, but she looks okay.

Is she half black? I always assumed she was latina or something.
    Well you can be a black latina, anyway (i.e. Rosie Perez, Zoe Saldana, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Seriously, what a crock of shit.
    And if I can remember there were even black VJ's on MTV back in the day, Janet Jackson and Michael Jackson were on there ALL the time, oh let's not forget MC Hammer, they played him to death.I am not saying it's not nice to have awards for all types of people, I am just saying the black community will find any reason to have a gathering. That wasn't an insult, it was just the truth. Last month they had the black model convention, now the black girls rock awards. I just find it funny.
    lol

MTV was a white channel that only played white rock stars, and admittedly didn't play black artists because they thought no one would be interested in seeing them. Michael Jackson was the first black artist played with 'Billie Jean'. Than, and only than, did Prince, Whitney, Janet, etc. followed. You clearly don't remember anything from the 80s. I mean Michael was the first black artist to really gain acceptance on that channel but they only agreed to play "Billie Jean" after the head of CBS records threatened them.
    Last edited by bychance; October 24th, 2007 at 06:48 AM.

Bronze Member

UGH! the "race" issue, so fucking annoying and depressing. We are in 2007 (almost 2008) but it seems like this shit will NEVER die.EVER.
    anyway...
    She is very pretty but her hair is horrible like this.

I wonder why any of the black artists made videos that were never supposed to be played ... ?? what a load of shizz..
    http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id127.htm
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

She's a very pretty girl, but that hairstyle doesn't do much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Oh great, here comes the this-isn't-fair-if-it-was-white-it'd-be-racist fucking bullshit. Shut it already.

White folks don't need 'separation' (if thats what you want to call it) because they are already the majority. I hate every time this is brought up, with a hissy fit. Its funny to hear the privileged bitch about a minority for 'unfairness'. And its always black. Everything else goes unminded. Isn't 'Women Rock' period sexist? How come we can't have Men Rock? Why do gays get their own parade? Why can't straight people get their own parade!

Fucking stupid.

Dismember yourself from the Adrienne Curry fanclub and get some common sense.

Well you can be a black latina, anyway (i.e. Rosie Perez, Zoe Saldana, etc).

lol

MTV was a white channel that only played white rock stars, and admittedly didn't play black artists because they thought no one would be interested in seeing them. Michael Jackson was the first black artist played with 'Billie Jean'. Than, and only than, did Prince, Whitney, Janet, etc. followed. You clearly don't remember anything from the 80s. I mean Michael was the first black artist to really gain acceptance on that channel but they only agreed to play "Billie Jean" after the head of CBS records threatened them.
    Cool your jets Hot Rod.

Look up MTV and the 80's before you start shouting what I don't know. Again, they PLAYED black music and they HIRED black VJ's.
    And just because someone is a minority does NOT mean they need special treatment. If ALL people are EQUAL then we should all be treated EQUALLY.

Oh, and I like the "it's funny to hear the priveiledged bitch" comment. How in the hell is one privileged just because they are white? That has to be one of the dumbest comments, or stands against the issue, that I have ever heard. Last I checked I work from check to check and I am white. Last I checked Oprah is worth billions and is black. So, um, yeah, explain to me how I am priviledged over a black person. I am EQUAL to a black person but not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Cool your jets Hot Rod.

Look up MTV and the 80's before you start shouting what I don't know. Again, they PLAYED black music and they HIRED black VJ's.
    And just because someone is a minority does NOT mean they need special treatment. If ALL people are EQUAL then we should all be treated EQUALLY.

Oh, and I like the "it's funny to hear the priveiledged bitch" comment. How in the hell is one privileged just because they are white? That has to be one of the dumbest comments, or stands against the issue, that I have ever heard. Last I checked I work from check to check and I am white. Last I checked Oprah is worth billions and is black. So, um, yeah, explain to me how I am priviledged over a black person. I am EQUAL to a black person but not better.
    dismember yourself!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information