Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Cameron Diaz at the Saturday Night Live afterparty, NYC (09/30/07)

  1. #16
    Gold Member Happy_Evil_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sophia Bush's heart
    Posts
    1,037

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptillycus View Post
    She plays the same part in her movies, supposedly cute yet stupid, and lucky.
    I'm sorry but have you seen Being John Malkovich? Or Any Given Sunday where she plays a ruthless football team owner? Or A Life Less Ordinary where she's a spoilt rich kid who plans her own kidnapping? She played a supposedly stupid blonde in In Her Shoes, but if you'd seen that movie you'd realize her character acts like a stupid blonde because she feels that's what's expected of her. Or in Vanilla Sky, where she's definitely an unlucky girl? Sure she played the part you described in light fare such as the Charlie's Angels movies, There's Something About Mary, The Mask and The Sweetest Thing, but that doesn't cancel her other movies. You can't jude someone by a mere tiny fraction of their body of work. Once again, just because you didn't like one or two movies a person starred in doesn't mean said person "can't act" (please read my previous post). Cameron has starred in about 30 movies. Say you've seen at least 10 of them and still think she can't act, it's your opinion, but don't judge based on one or two films. Cam is one of the 3 highest paid actresses in the world (along with Julia Roberts and Reese Witherspoon), and trust me if she got there, it's because she's got something, and not because she can't act.
    *Veni, Vidi, Ven...iiiiiiiii!!!*
    (I came, I saw, and I came again)

  2. #17
    Bronze Member John Robie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    101

    Default

    @ Happy Evil Dude

    please read my previous post
    You sounding desperately, I being in a patient mood - the perfect combination to evoke a reply ...

    I only started liking her (physically) with lighter hair (like this). I however dislike her immensely as a person, her looks are overrated, and she she's a rather bad actress too (she's always the worst part of her movies). However, now whenever I think of her, the first word that comes to mind is "herpes".
    about Jessica Alba

    You wrote:

    I'd just wish that when people write "so-and-so can't act", they stop and think about it and write "I don't like so-and-so's acting" instead.

    Hypocrite. What about stopping and thinking, hm?


    Furthermore:

    Her prissness has the most annoying laugh ever. Can't we send her to Guantanamo?
    about Avril Lavigne

    She is a big stupid tragedy...
    about Avril Lavigne

    Wearing something large to hide the fatness, getting free stuff at events...ah, the exciting life of a B-list celebrity!
    about Jennifer Love Hewitt


    I had not no idea this broad even still had half-a-career. She's got to be the least succesful oscar winner in recent years
    about Marisa Tomei


    I see the Princess of Punk (or Priss-chick of Pink, it depends) is back in all her retarded glwhory!
    about Avril Lavigne


    She's such an effin' hasbeen nobody now! I mean come on! "Farm Sanctuary Gala"??? WTF? I'm grateful, since apparently she has the biggest ego (then again, who in showbiz hasn't?).
    about Alicia Silverstone


    Preggers? Maybe, I really don't care. Overrated? Definitely, but hey, I'd still do her.
    about Halle Berry


    Yet you seem overly critical when people like what you don't like. Personally, I think Scarlett is an overrated skank.
    about Scarlett Johansson


    Hell yeah, it's completely messed up. But who am I to talk? I'd still do this hasbeen hag for all she's worth!
    about Geri Halliwell


    Wow, what a gross belly button! I'd still ride her, but I'm relly not sure her "look" is natural. Of course, the breast implants have been there for a while, but did her "training" include lipo?
    about Geri Haliwell


    You mean a latin-ho?
    about Penelope Cruz


    My post was more of a joke reaction comment to this "John Robie" dude,
    about me


    I'd really appreciate it not to be called "dude" by an uncouth foul-mouthed dude like you.

  3. #18
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    That must have taken ages!

  4. #19
    Gold Member Happy_Evil_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sophia Bush's heart
    Posts
    1,037

    Cool

    About Jessica Alba => I have 6 of the dozen movies she's starred in, most of which I've actually enjoyed. In every one of those movies however, Jess was the part which irritated the most. As I said previously, having considerable knowledge of someone's resume legitimates your opinion. Thus, I voiced mine, which will not stop me from going to see further Alba movies.

    About Avril Lavigne => In the quotes you took, I never actually judged Avril's singing abilities. There's actually a few songs of hers which I really, really, like. I attacked her person, based on interviews I've read/seen. This just goes to show you can ejoy's someone's work without liking said person. I never said you couldn't say Cameron is an idiot, a whore, a fugly bitch or whatever...I merely suggested you don't base your judgement of her acting abilities on a couple of films you haven't enjoyed!

    About Jennifer Love Hewitt => She is a B-list celebrity, no doubt about it. I'm not passing judgement, it's a fact. She tried to have a successfull movie career, failed and got sent back to primetime TV. This has nothing to do with her acting abilities, and I believe she's a rather good actress, certainly better than Jessica Alba (I have seen 9 movies and a full season of Ghost Whisperer with JLH)

    Marisa Tomei => Girl wins an oscar, and...nothing. She has tiny roles in the movies she does star in (Alfie, What Women Want, Anger Management). I was expressing genuine shock that she still some star power: once again, this has nothing to do with judging her acting.

    Alicia Silverstone => pretty much the same as Marisa Tomei, though this one didn't win an oscar. She was supposed to be the next big thing back in 1998, but that didn't happen. Instead, she's now mostly known for being a vegan, not wearing fur, and ignoring Elizabeth Hasselbeck...Once again, nothing to do with acting.

    Halle Berry => Though I've seen 9 movies with Halle, I was here referring to her looks, not her acting.

    Scarlett Johansson => Same story: I have seen 9 movies starring Scarlett, but here also was referring to her looks.

    Geri Halliwell => Talking about her looks, not her singing ability. And tell me she's not a hasbeen.

    Penelope Cruz => Humorous comment highlighting the fact that Penelope tends to regularly shag her co-stars, often breaking up thier marriages/relationships (see Matt Damon, Nicolas Cage, Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey and most recently Javier Bardem). Nothing to do wth her acting, once again.


    As you can see, dude (now I'm just pissing you off), I almost never criticize a person's ability to do their work. I am not desperate, far from it, the bold text was to make that part of my post stand out, as I feel my previous post was more important. If you want to say Cameron is the worst actress the world has ever seen go ahead, who am I to stop you? I am merely disappointed that neither you, nor apparently anyone else seems to have understood, let alone agree with, my point of view.
    *Veni, Vidi, Ven...iiiiiiiii!!!*
    (I came, I saw, and I came again)

  5. #20
    Elite Member Brando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,159

    Default

    She looks older than her age because of her bad skin.
    When you came in the air went out. And every shadow filled up with doubt. I don't know who you think you are, But before the night is through,I wanna do bad things with you.

  6. #21
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptillycus View Post
    She plays the same part in her movies, supposedly cute yet stupid, and lucky.
    No kidding... idly watched My Best Friend's Wedding a couple weeks ago, not much acting talent to speak of. She was cute back then, but not attractive any longer. Annoying, too.

  7. #22
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,431

    Default

    she always looks like she just rolled out of bed. i wish i could look that pretty when i get up in the morning
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  8. #23
    Bronze Member John Robie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I am merely disappointed that neither you, nor apparently anyone else seems to have understood, let alone agree with, my point of view.



    Au contraire, mon cher Dude. This might come as a surprise, but your remarks induced quite a bit of soul-searching on my part.

    As a result I think you're right:

    I'd just wish that when people write "so-and-so can't act", they stop and think about it and write "I don't like so-and-so's acting" instead.


    There are not too many well-known thespians of whom I could definitely say, "he/she can't act". The simple reason is that usually I only know a - smaller or larger - but still just a part of their œuvre.

    Take for example Glenn Close. I never really liked her style of acting. Hey, WAIT! Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me!!! PLEASE! Wait. Let me explain.

    Thank you so much.

    In the late eighties of the 20th century Ms. Close was la Marquise de Merteuil. I was just a lad, young and dumb and immune from sophisticated filmmaking.

    Then I saw her as Sunny von Bülow, a couple of years later as Ferula Trueba.

    I didn't hate her, I just found her acting annoying.

    In 1995 ... she became Glenn Close, La Divina, for me. Broadway, Sunset Boulevard, need I say more ...

    One last thing:

    I never said you couldn't say Cameron is an idiot, a whore, a fugly bitch or whatever...


    You might remember that I wrote, "I like her."
    Never mind!

    You seem to be anxious to defend Ms. Diaz. Who am I to stop you?

    I tend to defend the acting as well as the musical abilities of Jared Leto.

    So I know how it feels fighting a losing battle.


    Bye
    -John

  9. #24
    Elite Member CherryDarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Little Detroit
    Posts
    14,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    She looks older than her age because of her bad skin.
    Coupled w/her love for the good ole' smack, that has aged her a LOT. I still like Cammie tho.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

  10. #25
    Gold Member Happy_Evil_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sophia Bush's heart
    Posts
    1,037

    Thumbs up

    Well, sir John Robie, I am indeed pleasantly surprised that my remarks induced "quite a bit of soul-searching" in you, as you say. And perhaps you're right, perhaps I've been particularly anxious to defend Cameron Diaz because I'm particularly fond of her, but I like to think it's that because every comment I read in this thread said "she can't act". Anyway, I'm glad we seem to understand eah other, so what say you? Peace?


    BTW, I haven't seen Jared Leto in much and certainly have never heard him sing, but he certainly was good in Lord Of War.
    *Veni, Vidi, Ven...iiiiiiiii!!!*
    (I came, I saw, and I came again)

  11. #26
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    I watched In Her Shoes last night... i don't know what it is but I always feel good watching Cameron; I don't know what it is!!! But it happens.

  12. #27
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59,729

    Default

    John Robie made me laugh

    Does anyone remember Cameron in The Mask? What has she done to herself?? I think it's the weight loss

  13. #28
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    I watched In Her Shoes last night... i don't know what it is but I always feel good watching Cameron; I don't know what it is!!! But it happens.
    I did too, and I was pleasantly surprised. Toni Collette can act circles around Cammie but she played her part well and with some hint of self deprecation. Let's face it -- Diaz doesn't have much range but then neither did John Wayne or Katharine Hepburn and they did OK. I loved how the director made a point of shooting Collette from the worst possible angles tho -- wonder if that's in Cammie's contract?

  14. #29
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,682

    Default

    Well I don't think she can't act, in fact I've enjoyed her in a few things. She's just not my usual taste, that's all.

  15. #30
    Bronze Member John Robie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Well, Mr. Dude, Esq.

    as much as I like a good scuffle every now and then I think it's high time to end our tiff.

    PEACE!

    A couple of words about young Mr. Leto: I enjoyed immensely his performances in "Requiem for a Dream" and "Lonely Hearts". I have to admit that "Lord of War" has escaped my attention.

    It's a shame that he is so often reduced to mere eye-candy as in "Basil" or "Alexander".

    Bye
    -John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: April 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM
  3. Amy Poehler as Kaitlyn on Saturday Night Live
    By sarahphim in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
  4. Catherine Zeta Jones, Saturday Night Live
    By SVZ in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM
  5. Saturday Night Live 2005/2006 season
    By SammysMom in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2005, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •