Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassie at 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards (10/08/2007)

Silver Member

Default Cassie at 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards (10/08/2007)

She looks terrible. She reminds me of Melissa from
    MTV's Real World New Orleans. hahahahaha

Silver Member

Don't really care for the hairstyle, but she looks okay.

Is she half black? I always assumed she was latina or something.

Black Girls Rock Awards?
    Some people will come up with anything to issue awards.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Black Girls Rock Awards?
    Some people will come up with anything to issue awards.
    Well, the media sure isn't celebrating the achievements and beauty of more than "two" token black women.

Here is the statement on the purpose of the award show...

Black Girls Rock!" is a non-profit youth empowerment mentoring organization established for young women of color as a reaction to the often seen negative images consistently imprinted upon black women expressly in mass media. Black Girls Rock! mission is to promote the arts and to encourage positive life-changing activity and dialogue about images of women in our present day culture. The name alone is an AFFIRMATION! Black Girls Rock! has boldly taken on the crisis of our female youth of color here in America head on and understand the need for positive self-images and a strong sense of awareness. In light of the media’s constant focus on the negative depiction of Black women it is so very important that Black Girls Rock! takes the time to shine a much needed light on our Sheroes.”

Whoa - she's got some big shoulders!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Natee471 View Post
    Well, the media sure isn't celebrating the achievements and beauty of more than "two" token black women.

Here is the statement on the purpose of the award show...

Black Girls Rock!" is a non-profit youth empowerment mentoring organization established for young women of color as a reaction to the often seen negative images consistently imprinted upon black women expressly in mass media. Black Girls Rock! mission is to promote the arts and to encourage positive life-changing activity and dialogue about images of women in our present day culture. The name alone is an AFFIRMATION! Black Girls Rock! has boldly taken on the crisis of our female youth of color here in America head on and understand the need for positive self-images and a strong sense of awareness. In light of the media’s constant focus on the negative depiction of Black women it is so very important that Black Girls Rock! takes the time to shine a much needed light on our Sheroes.”
    Yeah, I can see were the black woman is being held down in the business....Beyonce, Rihanna, Eve, Halle Berry, Gabrielle Union, Naomi Cambell, Iman, Queen Latifah, and lets not forget the richest woman in the world, Oprah needs to get more awards just because they are black. Black women are not held back anymore than any other woman, if so, I would love to be the first white woman held back like Oprah.

tyra banks and kimora lee simmons suffer from oppression...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    tyra banks and kimora lee simmons suffer from oppression...
    Yeah really, two more fine examples of black women being held down.

She is too skinny.

Oh gawd. If a group of people want to look at their accomplishments, why all the fussing?

Yeah, I can see were the black woman is being held down in the business....Beyonce, Rihanna, Eve, Halle Berry, Gabrielle Union, Naomi Cambell, Iman, Queen Latifah, and lets not forget the richest woman in the world, Oprah needs to get more awards just because they are black. Black women are not held back anymore than any other woman, if so, I would love to be the first white woman held back like Oprah.
    Reread the quote it does not refer to them being held down. The idea is to promote POSITIVE women of color. Not the negative images that are sometimes displayed in the media (news, movies, tv, videos, etc.)

Black Girls Rock!" is a non-profit youth empowerment mentoring organization established for young women of color as a reaction to the often seen negative images consistently imprinted upon black women expressly in mass media. Black Girls Rock! mission is to promote the arts and to encourage positive life-changing activity and dialogue about images of women in our present day culture.

I agree RevellingInSane.

And for the record her racial background is Filipino(father)/West Indian Black/Mexican(mother).
    Last edited by Daisy Sun; October 9th, 2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: adding

The quote that I was referring to was not that one but this one:
    "Well, the media sure isn't celebrating the achievements and beauty of more than "two" token black women."
    Which does state that the media is holding black women down.
    Thanks.

Silver Member

The quote that I was referring to was not that one but this one:
    "Well, the media sure isn't celebrating the achievements and beauty of more than "two" token black women."
    Which does state that the media is holding black women down.
    Thanks.
    No it doesn't, that's not even the point I was trying to make. You missed the mark.

There are LOADS of talented black women that aren't being recognized on mainstream awards show... Just like many latino celebrities.. You have a "Latin Grammy" awards, to celebrate ALL latino artists... not only the ones who are "mainstream" like Shakira and Jennifer Lopez.

White people have been celebrating their OWN people for YEARS on the Oscars and TV networks. Yet, people get offended with ONE TV channel called BET... which was created because there were 0 black artists being played on MTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Natee471 View Post
    No it doesn't, that's not even the point I was trying to make. You missed the mark.

There are LOADS of talented black women that aren't being recognized on mainstream awards show... Just like many latino celebrities.. You have a "Latin Grammy" awards, to celebrate ALL latino artists... not only the ones who are "mainstream" like Shakira and Jennifer Lopez.

White people have been celebrating their OWN people for YEARS on the Oscars and TV networks. Yet, people get offended with ONE TV channel called BET... which was created because there were 0 black artists being played on MTV.
    black people don't get oscars??? all the other channels are for whites? wow, this thread has been really enlightening...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    black people don't get oscars??? all the other channels are for whites? wow, this thread has been really enlightening...
    Seriously, what a crock of shit.
    And if I can remember there were even black VJ's on MTV back in the day, Janet Jackson and Michael Jackson were on there ALL the time, oh let's not forget MC Hammer, they played him to death.
    I am not saying it's not nice to have awards for all types of people, I am just saying the black community will find any reason to have a gathering. That wasn't an insult, it was just the truth. Last month they had the black model convention, now the black girls rock awards. I just find it funny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information