Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Zoe Saldana Shrugs Off Nina Simone Backlash

There are plenty of singers who became actors who had little to no acting experience before their first role.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I think this is mean. I am willing to give her the benefit of a doubt. Maybe she can pull this off. Her looks have nothing to do with it. Hell, I've watched Walk The Line so many times that I now picture Johnny Cash as Joaquin, so there.
    gas_chick likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Even with the prosthetics, she still doesn't really look like her.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

When a white actress looks nothing like the historical figure they're playing and uses prosthetics, they get acclaim and an Oscar. See Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I am STILL pissed that they chose that young whippersnapper, Cicely Tyson to play "Jane Pittman" when there were probably plenty of 110-year-old actresses who would have died to get that role.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.

My Dad is going to freak out when he hears they're making a Nina Simone biopic. He loooooooooooooves her!

Although Zoe Saldana doesn't look a thing like Nina Simone, I'm just grateful someone's making this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    When a white actress looks nothing like the historical figure they're playing and uses prosthetics, they get acclaim and an Oscar. See Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman.
    I disagree. I think Charlize did a credible job of portraying Aileen Wuronos (sp?), but Nicole Kidman was dull and uninspiring as Virginia Woolf. She wasn't even onscreen long enough IMO to garner a Best Actress nod.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Gold Member

An actress "blacking up" and wearing a false nose annoys me as it seems to happen far too much given the tiny amount of times black women have their lives portrayed on screen outside of slaves and maids.
    I can't help wondering if those in charge have a problem with darker skinned actresses.
    Mixed raced actresses have played Harriet Tubman and Winnie Mandela for example. The actresses in question might be excellent actors but it's still fishy

Maybe the end result will look better, but she looks like someone in costume wearing prosthetics.
    chartreuse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Part of Nina's story is that she was a homely woman. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. She caught hell for this, and it's part of her story. Zoe is too photogenic to be believable as Nina.
    Sad to me that people would think her homely. She definitely did not have a Eurocentric beauty but I don't see her as homely at all. I like her naturalness and while I wouldn't call her a stunning beauty, she's not ugly either (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    Sad to me that people would think her homely. She definitely did not have a Eurocentric beauty but I don't see her as homely at all. I like her naturalness and while I wouldn't call her a stunning beauty, she's not ugly either (to me).
    You know, I agree with you. I think she's very pleasant looking.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceVita View Post
    An actress "blacking up" and wearing a false nose annoys me as it seems to happen far too much given the tiny amount of times black women have their lives portrayed on screen outside of slaves and maids.
    I can't help wondering if those in charge have a problem with darker skinned actresses.
    Mixed raced actresses have played Harriet Tubman and Winnie Mandela for example. The actresses in question might be excellent actors but it's still fishy
    Thank you!

I get so annoyed at the fact that instead of seeking out a decent actor with Proteus Syndrome, they outfitted John Hurt with prosthetics for the "Elephant Man"

And then, Marlon Brando, being an Irish American in his early 40's, and who was totally inappropriate to play an aging Italian capo, stuffed cottonballs in his cheeks and streaked his hair with white dye for "The Godfather". Thank God, the Academy saw through THAT bullshit.

And Brad Pitt playing Benjamin Button??? Wasn't Hume Cronyn still alive when the film was being shot? What, he had died five years earlier? Okay how about Ed Asner? They could have totally put a whalebone corset on him and then put vaseline on the lens for the scenes where he Benjamin Button was younger.

I ALSO found out that Saldana isn't really BLUE, or 9 feet tall, but she used CGI prosthetics to play a Pandoran. Couldn't Cameron have held off until NASA had discovered REAL blue people on some planet within our galaxy? Sure the film would probably have to be shot by Cameron's great-great-great-great-great-great (repeat at least 80 more times) grandchild, but the authenticity would have been amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    You know, I agree with you. I think she's very pleasant looking.
    I agree.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The argument against Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone end for me with one simple fact - it means that it's another role that Beyonce can't stink up and use as media fodder.
    SHELLEE and BITTER like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I was just going to post a minirant on that myself. Homely?! No fucking way. I think she's very striking looking, not an ugly woman at ALL. Is it just that she actually looks African, not like a European with darker skin? Eyeroll.

Her expression here! I get this look when I read something especially annoying about LeAnn Rimes...

BITTER, Lalasnake and lindsaywhit like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information