Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: The Wiz Live's All-Black Cast Sparks Twitter Debate

^^^And that the white slave owners were all portrayed negatively.
    Bluebonnet, mostroop, HWBL and 1 others like this.

I LOVE the 70's Wiz. I watched bits and pieces of the new one. I didn't like Dorothy's voice. It scared my cats a couple of times. The Poppies were awesome dancing, and Mary J Blige's voice gave me chills. I also liked the voguing in the Emerald City scene. That's it.
    HWBL and Bluebonnet like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I fucking hate all musicals equally.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

I enjoyed Stephanie and Uzo but most of it was missing something and I am going to say this again... Mary J. Blige doesn't have the voice for Live anything!

I saw the movie no less than 60 times throughout the years and my Dad took me to see the play when Stephanie reprised her role on Broadway... I loved it! But not this!!
    BITTER likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

i watched for a bit, but i was raised on the Wizard of Oz, so i'm a tough sell. I thought Queen Latifa was good. other than that, nope.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I hated the Diana Ross version. I felt she ruined it.
    msdeb and Beeyotch like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^^She just looked too damn old to play Dorothy...
    BITTER, *DIVA!, ikmccall and 2 others like this.

I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^She just looked too damn old to play Dorothy...
    And she lacked the vocal chops to pull off the songs, which were made for belters like Stephanie...Steph had a hard way to go in this business, but she is a survivor as well as having one of the best female R&B voices ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And she lacked the vocal chops to pull off the songs, which were made for belters like Stephanie...Steph had a hard way to go in this business, but she is a survivor as well as having one of the best female R&B voices ever.
    I actually remember enjoying the movie, and was pleasantly surprised by Michael Jackson's performance, but you make a great point about how they replaced Stephanie with Diana Ross. Kind like like how they replaced Julie Andrews with Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady".
    Bluebonnet likes this.

If you were fucking the producer and birthing him a kid at the time you too could play a much younger woman and no one says boo!!

Like I said on Facebook I have seen the Wiz movie and the stage play with Stephanie Mills.. Diana sucked and so did most of the live version! But I was told I was very critical. And even though it has been 22 years I can still sing a better Evilene than Mary J!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    People just want to be pissed over the stupidest things. Who gives a fuck? All white, all black, all hispanic, all asian...I do not care.

For the record, I also don't care if you say Merry Christmas, Happy Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, etc.

Let's get educated and angry over real issues, not stupid bullshit.
    I get so pissed off over the whole Merry Christmas thing but that's because when I told someone at my current workplace that I didn't celebrate Xmas It was like I'd said that I eat babies. Seriously.

I think that we do need education, education on the non-white population that helped make the world a positive place.
    My friend's mom was watching a WWII celebration & was astounded (& pleased) to see a whole regiment of Sikh soldiers marching. She knew nothing about their history and is Sikh herself.
    We really do need more celebration of all religions (inc Islam) and cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I actually remember enjoying the movie, and was pleasantly surprised by Michael Jackson's performance, but you make a great point about how they replaced Stephanie with Diana Ross. Kind like like how they replaced Julie Andrews with Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady".
    When PLAYBOY reviewed the original B'way play, they called Stephanie Mills, "a homely little actress with a big voice and no stage presence". It was cruel. And she was flatly told by several big wigs that she was not pretty enough to make movies, let alone a film version of the play she made famous. Truth be told, she wasn't that pretty, but then, neither was Bette Midler or Sandra Bernhard and Barbra Streisand, but they went on to have successful careers. But Stephanie did have a very successful recording career. But she had a makeover that included weight loss and dramatic cosmetic surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    If you were fucking the producer and birthing him a kid at the time you too could play a much younger woman and no one says boo!!

Like I said on Facebook I have seen the Wiz movie and the stage play with Stephanie Mills.. Diana sucked and so did most of the live version! But I was told I was very critical. And even though it has been 22 years I can still sing a better Evilene than Mary J!!
    Diana has/had a pleasant voice, but it's not a showstopping, belting voice, which is better onstage.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    When PLAYBOY reviewed the original B'way play, they called Stephanie Mills, "a homely little actress with a big voice and no stage presence". It was cruel. And she was flatly told by several big wigs that she was not pretty enough to make movies, let alone a film version of the play she made famous. Truth be told, she wasn't that pretty, but then, neither was Bette Midler or Sandra Bernhard and Barbra Streisand, but they went on to have successful careers. But Stephanie did have a very successful recording career. But she had a makeover that included weight loss and dramatic cosmetic surgery.

Diana has/had a pleasant voice, but it's not a showstopping, belting voice, which is better onstage.
    Makeup is magic! Makeup is magic!!!
    BITTER likes this.

I thought that top pic was a dude.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information