Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Winona Ryder Says Keanu Reeves Refused Direction to Verbally Abuse Her on Dracula Set

This makes me love Keanu more though.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm relieved! I was scared for a second that anyone had something bad to say about Keanu. I couldn't handle it. We need Keanu.

Dracula was 28 years ago. Way before #metoo. Good for Keanu. And Anthony Hopkins.
    tulip, czb, BrickHouse and 1 others like this.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I hadn't heard what Winona said about Mel. Hardly surprising, & I'm sure there are countless other stories out there. He's an anti-semitic, racist, homophobic, misogynistic piece of trash, & I don't understand how anyone can make movies with him knowing this.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Dracula was 28 years ago. Way before #metoo. Good for Keanu. And Anthony Hopkins.
    I always appreciated Anthony Hopkins as an actor but I really started to like him after I saw the lockdown video of him playing the piano with his cat lol.
    BrickHouse and Lalasnake like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

I can't believe Coppola thought yelling at her would get her in the right frame of mind for the scene. I'd be so taken out of my character at that point, I couldn't act anything. I'd be enraged, not crying.

Men suck sometimes.

Really nice to hear not all joined in on the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I always appreciated Anthony Hopkins as an actor but I really started to like him after I saw the lockdown video of him playing the piano with his cat lol.
    I think we need a link to this video.

In my 50shadesofballsstomped book version of these events it goes more like this: Winona cooly walks over to Coppola and without warning swiftly kicks him in the nuts with her pointy Victorian-era style boot. Coppola falls to the ground writhing and screaming and crying in agony. Winona looking down inquiring: "You mean like this?"

^^^Nice!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

For MsDark - Anthony Hopkins and Niblo

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    For MsDark - Anthony Hopkins and Niblo

Aww, when she turns and looks at him. His smile shows how much he loves her.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Keanu more

And that video is pure love, I had no particular opinion on Hopkins, but I love a man who loves his cat
    Kittylady, Lalasnake and Novice like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Francis Ford Coppola and Winona Ryder clarify account of verbal abuse on Dracula set

By Maureen Lee Lenker June 25, 2020 at 10:21 PM EDT

Francis Ford Coppola is denying Winona Ryder's recollection that he directed her castmates to verbally abuse her on the set of Bram Stoker's Dracula. And Ryder agrees with him.

During a recent interview with the Sunday Times, Ryder addressed a rumor from her time shooting the 1992 film. During a dramatic scene in which she was supposed to be crying, Ryder said, Coppola directed the male actors on set to call out insults from off camera.

Coppola, however, has now said that wasn't what happened. "While I think Winona is a wonderful actor, the incident she described is not how it happened, and shouting or abusing people isn't something I do as a person or as a filmmaker," he said in a statement provided to EW. "In this situation, which I remember clearly, I instructed Gary Oldman — in character as Dracula — to whisper improvised words to her and the other characters, making them as horrific and evil as he could. I don't know what was said, but improvisation is a common filmmaking practice."

In turn, Ryder corroborated Coppola's version of events. "Winona and Francis are in agreement and his recollection is correct," a spokesperson for the actress said in a statement to EW. "He asked the actors in character to say horrible things to Winona as a technique to help her cry for the scene. Although that technique didn't work for her, she loves and respects him and considers it a great privilege to have worked with him."

Ryder had told the Times, "Literally, Richard E. Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu… Francis was trying to get all of them to yell things that would make me cry. But Keanu [Reeves] wouldn't, Anthony wouldn't… the more it happened, I was like… It just didn't work. I was, like, really? It kind of did the opposite. Ryder had also said she and Coppola are "good now."

The story, reflecting the long friendship between Ryder and her costar Reeves, quickly made headlines. It's not surprising given that he set of Dracula has been a hotbed for Hollywood stories. It's also the root of Ryder's previous assertion to EW that she and Reeves were accidentally married for real by the Romanian priest in the movie's wedding scene.

Now that story Coppola has confirmed — at least according to Reeves. "I didn't really believe her, and then Francis Ford Coppola, the director of Dracula, contacted Winona and said publicly that, yeah, that really happened, the priest did a full ceremony, and Winona and I got married," he said while appearing on The Talk in 2019.

https://ew.com/movies/francis-ford-c...abuse-dracula/

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I can't believe Coppola thought yelling at her would get her in the right frame of mind for the scene. I'd be so taken out of my character at that point, I couldn't act anything. I'd be enraged, not crying.

Men suck sometimes.

Really nice to hear not all joined in on the experience.
    I hate directors who think they have to abuse actors to get them to "feel the character's emotions". It's called acting, asshat.
    tulip and firebrat1229 like this.

I'm a bit upset, why does Keanu Reeves get a round of applause for simply being a decent human being? Not insulting/intimidating your co-star is something we celebrate now?

I can only answer that from my perspective, Lofty. But I don't applaud Keanu or Anthony for being a decent human being - but I'm extremely glad I wasn't wrong about them.
    Lofty Bike, tulip and Lalasnake like this.
    -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information