Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Will Smith: I live with constant prejudice

No, my point was that clearly he has gotten numerous breaks in his life. And career. He gets offered great film roles (and even has the option to turn down major hits). If people were racist against him, would he have gotten all those breaks that allow him to live the luxurious life he now leads?

^^^ Here is an example for you. My dad grew up extremely poor in the rural South. He is a black man. Even though his parents only had 8th grade educations, my dad used his high intellect and sports talents to go to college and later to medical school. He became a successful surgeon, lives in a million dollar home, etc.

Growing up, my dad faced racism you couldn't even imagine. Real, old school, house firebombed by the KKK type racism. He faced significant racism in medical school and even as a surgeon.

Your post its is the equivalent of saying that because my dad became successful and wealthy, there's no way people could have been racist against him. That's just not true. I wish it was, but it isn't. Some people are driven and savvy enough that they will succeed no matter what roadblocks were placed in their way. Others can't. I don't know what kind of person Will is, but it's quite possible that he has had to overcome significant obstacles, including racism, to succeed.

I deal with racism and sexism almost daily in my profession. I'm a lawyer. Being successful doesn't mean that I haven't had to deal with racism. Frankly, most black people that I know frequently deal with racism. Many of our parents, no matter how successful they are, teach us when we are children about the racism we will deal with. I'd guess that every successful black parent teaches their kid that they have to be at least twice as good as a non-black person has to be to succeed. I know I was taught that. Even Olivia Pope was taught that (lol)
    sprynkles, Brah and greysfang like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I have seen minorities discriminated against BECAUSE they are successful, and that poses a threat to bigots.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I get what you're saying, NickiDrea, but I kind of respectfully disagree (kind of because I'm really not invested in Will Smith at all). Comparing your father's rather horrific upbringing to Will Smith's upbringing is like apples and oranges. Will didn't grow up with the KKK firebombing his house ... nowhere near it. Will was raised in a middle class suburb of Philly and was reportedly quite smart, was given a lot of educational opportunities but didn't take them because he wanted to be a rapper ... which happened in his early 20s. He's been famous since. Other than being a child of divorce and having a child of his own rather young, there is literally nothing in his bio that says there is anything he dealt with any prejudice like your father. In fact, my boyfriend (whom is white) also grew up in Philly but lived in a much worse suburb and had a shitty childhood. Now, if you're father came out with his story and said he's had to deal with racism, I would listen with sympathetic ears and applaud how he's overcome so much to be such a successful man, financially, spirtually, emotionally, everything. But comparing the hardships your dad has dealt with to Will's rather vanilla childhood and early success and wealth doesn't make me think Will is any worse off than he was before. There are many people of minorities who can complain, with all rights, to prejudices they've had to overcome. I just don't agree that Will Smith himself is on that list.

^^^ I would say that you have no idea what he has or hasn't faced. To assume that he's never faced racism because he's wealthy is not the best assumption to make. As my post said, I grew up with a lot of money- in one of the wealthiest counties in the US- due to my parents' jobs and I have faced racism. Money does not provide protection against racism. If you think it does, you are not correct.

I work as a PD in Philly so I am familiar with where Will grew up and probably where your boyfriend grew up as well.
    Brah and sluce like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information