Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Why was the RAF so quick to destroy dogs that guarded Prince William?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I've never really thought about it but I'm sure this must happen to a lot of military/police working dogs specifically trained to guard/attack humans. I certainly would never risk placing one with a family. Using prince William as a "hook" for this story to make it more newsworthy is desperate.
    None of these dogs have to be put into a family situation, I wouldn't recommend that at all. I just wonder if there couldn't be an arrangement with local animal sanctuaries to take in some of these loyal dogs, who have given their service to the nation.
    There are places in the US, like Best Friends in Utah that takes even the most aggressive dogs. They let them live out their lives there in freedom, only coming in contact with trained people. It's a pretty good life really. The Last Chance Ranch is another one that takes in the most aggressive dogs around. They don't put any down no matter what.
    Most of the 50 states have something similar, here in NJ it's the Oasis Animal Sanctuary that has permanent care for animals that can't be re-housed. I'm sure there are similar places in the UK for animals of that nature.

I agree that it's probably something that happens far too often but does it have to? Couldn't arrangements be made or am I just being to sentimental?

A*O

Not over sentimental but probably unrealistic. It really is kinder to put down dangerous dogs who have little or no hope of rehabilitation. Or are these blissful sanctuaries like those "nice farms in the country" our parents told us missing pets went to stay?
    McJag and olivia like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The shelters in the UK are full and overflowing with pets that people cannot afford to keep.
    As McJag said dogs trained to react with extreme aggression, specifically not housed with a family are not suitable to be placed in a family. Also, maybe the handlers already have dogs or kids that they wanted to keep safe and that was their priority.
    The RAF also has a duty of care to the public that might adopt these animals and clearly stated that at least one of them had both veterinary and behavioural issues that influenced this decision.
    The Ministry of Defence said Brus, aged seven and a half, ‘had come to the end of his work life’ while Blade, nine and a half, could not be reassigned to other duties due to ‘a record of veterinary and behavioural issues’.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Visiting my BFF today and as he's ex military I've just asked him why forces guard dogs are put to sleep at the end of their working life. He says it is because the 'programming' they undergo runs too deeply and the dogs are usually too risky to rehome, particularly as they are usually kenneled on base and not in a family home as other service dogs (such as police) sometimes are.

Yes, there is a lot of people upset over this but can you imagine how much greater the outcry would be if one of these dogs attacked and fatally injured a member of the public or their pet? If it has to be done then at least it is done humanely.
    Novice and McJag like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

People keep suggesting shelters and rehousing, there aren't sanctuaries in the UK for animals that can't be adopted? That's where I was hoping these animals would find themselves. We have them in each of the 50 states here in the US, I know they have them in France (I visited two while I was there and there are several in Canada, Australia and even one outside Oslo.)
    In these facilities the animals can live out their lives without being adopted but they're never put down. My favorite is in Utah, down near the Zion National Park called Best Friends, they take in the most vicious animals and they live their lives in a really beautiful setting.

I know it's not realistic for every animal, I just felt for dogs that have done their duty protecting their nation it would be a nice way to end their lives in a sanctuary, if they're not capable of being adopted out, rehoused or with the family of their handlers. It's something I've never thought about before regarding military dogs, I rather naively thought they went to families or when not possible, to a sanctuary. I should check out what happens with the dogs used to guard the bases here in New Jersey after their duty is over. I'm a new veterinarian (mostly feline, so nothing too scary there) so sadly, I'm not unfamiliar with the need to put an animal down but it would be great if it was the last resort even for dogs with behavioral issues.
    Belt Up and MmeVertigina like this.

Were the dogs wearing hoodies?
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Neptunia I haven't heard of any places that will take dogs that can't be rehomed due to behavioural issues and a (very quick) google doesn't seem to show any either. I did used to know someone who took on dogs with behavioural problems, but that was as a private individual and even they were realistic about the fact that some dogs are too far gone to be safely kept.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

^^^Exactly. During a search for a kennel for my dog, I visited a place where a woman took in German Shepherds who had worked as border dogs with the national guard. My dog was pretty weird but those dogs were way beyond her craziness. The woman was trying to do a good thing, I guess, but I wouldn't have one of those dogs in my home. Their energy was scary. They had been trained, from 8 weeks old, to focus on one task and they got lots of exercise in the process. Seeing them restricted to a kennel and a backyard with that wild look in their eyes and watching the aggressive way they tried to dominate each other, I figured my dog didn't need to pick up those habits.
    McJag likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    People keep suggesting shelters and rehousing, there aren't sanctuaries in the UK for animals that can't be adopted? That's where I was hoping these animals would find themselves. We have them in each of the 50 states here in the US, I know they have them in France (I visited two while I was there and there are several in Canada, Australia and even one outside Oslo.)
    In these facilities the animals can live out their lives without being adopted but they're never put down. My favorite is in Utah, down near the Zion National Park called Best Friends, they take in the most vicious animals and they live their lives in a really beautiful setting.

I know it's not realistic for every animal, I just felt for dogs that have done their duty protecting their nation it would be a nice way to end their lives in a sanctuary, if they're not capable of being adopted out, rehoused or with the family of their handlers. It's something I've never thought about before regarding military dogs, I rather naively thought they went to families or when not possible, to a sanctuary. I should check out what happens with the dogs used to guard the bases here in New Jersey after their duty is over. I'm a new veterinarian (mostly feline, so nothing too scary there) so sadly, I'm not unfamiliar with the need to put an animal down but it would be great if it was the last resort even for dogs with behavioral issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    The shelters in the UK are full and overflowing with pets that people cannot afford to keep.
    As McJag said dogs trained to react with extreme aggression, specifically not housed with a family are not suitable to be placed in a family. Also, maybe the handlers already have dogs or kids that they wanted to keep safe and that was their priority.
    The RAF also has a duty of care to the public that might adopt these animals and clearly stated that at least one of them had both veterinary and behavioural issues that influenced this decision.
    You need to read the responses from UK posters instead of posting the same thing again and again. Also as a veterinarian, you need to learn when it is appropriate to not save an animal as well as when it is.
    I'm not being funny but if those dogs where people they would be not roaming around in society but in a lock-up, probably in solitary confinement.
    olivia and Kittylady like this.

Sad story, don't see why W.'s name was mentioned though. According to the article he didn't even work with the dogs.
    I do hate how they write "destroyed" when it concerns living animals, not inanimate objects.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information