Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Why Gloria Steinem Is Sticking Up for Jennifer Aniston

  1. #16
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,398

    Default

    You're a great Mom, Bella. Just the way you wrote that means you give everything your all.

  2. #17
    Elite Member MmeVertigina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your inner ear
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post

    Women need to stop shitting on each other. Women's rights mean we get to choose our own path and decide what makes us effective in life.
    I agree with this 100%.
    I don't see why anyone would think Jennifer Aniston has a void in her life because she isn't married with kids. It seems like she has a pretty fabulous life.
    ConstanceSpry and Flygirl like this.

  3. #18
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    24,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    around here, i see this in BOTH crunchy granola types and former executives. both groups that i've seen are typically well educated. but what kills me is how competitive the former execs get about being a good parent and doing so much for their kid.

    it's amazing i have any friends at all. and yes, maybe my social life would improve if i bought an ipad.
    There are a lot of young, stay at home mom's here in OC. Women with some sort of higher education, but most married right out of college and started having kids. They're super competitive. All the Pinterest/Mini-Martha Stewart types. I'm like an old, hippie fart to them

    Oh, and I have an iPad and not many friends at all


    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I agree with Shinola that it is more common among highly educated women but around here it is not the crunchy granolers. It's the highly educated, former executives, who have now decided to stay home with their kids. They spend 90% of each conversation telling you how their spouse and kids are so successful. When you ask about the work they did before staying home they shut you down saying it was not nearly as rewarding as being a wife and mother. That's great but I didn't ask for a comparison. They are usually the same moms who insist that the PTA planning meetings happen during the day thereby excluding working parents. I don't get it. I support every women making a choice based on what is best for them and their families.
    I don't get why people have to compare everything. What works for some, doesn't work for others. I have a lot of respect for working parents. I've met some women that are SAHM's and they're so miserable with it that they constantly criticize women that are working mothers, because they want to be doing the same thing. I've also met women that are working mothers who bag on stay at home mom's because some of them wish they could do it. I wish people would be ok with doing what's best for their families and let others be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Well I live in one of the most liberal, crunchy towns you'll find in middle America. There is absolutely this surge of stay at home moms. God bless them. Seriously. Our school is a private school so there are a lot of gaps to fill with volunteers. Without all of them, we'd be at a loss. When I was about to go back to work after having my youngest, one of them came up to me and asked how I was feeling about going back to work. I mentioned I felt some guilt about not being around school to help as much. She got in my face, told me she felt fortunate to be in this position, and that it was their duty to support those of us who choose (or have) to work. It was one of the nicest things anyone has said to me about parenting.

    Women need to stop shitting on each other. Women's rights mean we get to choose our own path and decide what makes us effective in life. Quite honestly, if I would have known then what I know now, I'd have quit my job in a heartbeat. Nothing is more important than parenting and I see 1000 ways I could have used my time to help my kids, our school and my community. Instead, I chose to continue in my job. I know what I do means something to people who are hurt, but I'll never make the same impact on them that I could have made on my children if I'd have been home with them. My God, that was hard to write.
    I agree, Bella. I wish women would stop with tearing each other down. I was told by my SO's relative that I must not be a feminist because I stay at home with my daughter. I smiled and looked at her and said that I was a feminist. I made the decision to stay home and raise my child. Having the right and ability to do that is what makes me a feminist. I'm a woman and a mother. I believe in what I'm doing and I believed in what I did prior to having a child.
    dexter7, BITTER and ariesallover like this.

  4. #19
    Elite Member ikmccall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware, United States
    Posts
    4,519

    Default

    Clooney has been quite honest about not wanting to have kids or to get married again. When JA is in a new relationship, we read stories of how she wants to settle down and have babies. I think that's why she gets criticism.

  5. #20
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    17,146

    Default

    ^ That's true. Cameron Diaz, for example, has never IIRC said she wants kids and doesn't get the same will she wont she like Jennifer.

  6. #21
    czb
    czb is offline
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    18,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Well I live in one of the most liberal, crunchy towns you'll find in middle America. There is absolutely this surge of stay at home moms. God bless them. Seriously. Our school is a private school so there are a lot of gaps to fill with volunteers. Without all of them, we'd be at a loss. When I was about to go back to work after having my youngest, one of them came up to me and asked how I was feeling about going back to work. I mentioned I felt some guilt about not being around school to help as much. She got in my face, told me she felt fortunate to be in this position, and that it was their duty to support those of us who choose (or have) to work. It was one of the nicest things anyone has said to me about parenting.

    ....
    yeah, that was nice of her. our school is public and without all the volunteers, there is no way it would be as good as it is. a lot of the volunteers are SAH mom (some dads), but also grandparents. and sometimes the working moms help, too. i don't have as much time as a SAH, but i do what i can.

  7. #22
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    39,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    Clooney has been quite honest about not wanting to have kids or to get married again. When JA is in a new relationship, we read stories of how she wants to settle down and have babies. I think that's why she gets criticism.
    I think it also has to do with the idea that her ex-husband left her over the kid issue and went to a woman who would give him children. All very archaic, but I think that's why she gets such a spotlight turned on her for it.

    As for Clooney, the reaction to him is equally stupid, if you ask me. People use the fact that he's not married with children as further "evidence" of his homosexuality, which is also ridiculous. Clooney may be gay, I don't know, but what's silly is the idea that if you're not married with children, there must be some secret reason, you can't just be single and childless.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

  8. #23
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    58,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    What I find confusing is that the resurrection of June Cleaver I've experienced is often among educated crunchy granolers in liberal cities and towns. I wish I could learn more about this phenomenon ... and whether it's just my perception or what. I mean I lived it, and was surrounded by it, but is it as widespread as it seemed to me?
    i think elizabeth badinter has written about it, and got shit on by both feminists and anti-feminists. i guess the truth hurts.

    i blame this trend in helicopter parenting and the belief that if you're not with your snowflake 24/7, co-sleeping, stimulating them and paying attention to every gurgle, burp and outburst, making pie charts and excel spreadsheeets about how best to organise their homework and school work, volunteering at their school, spending hours at the local farmers' market and making them organic home-made meals, and shuttling them between their structured play-dates, mandarin for pre-schoolers lessons, kids yoga, soccer practice and classical violin, they will grow up to be inadequate, traumatised losers and you will be labelled a Bad Mother.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  9. #24
    Elite Member manningmsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    ^^^^ My kids are so screwed.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

  10. #25
    Elite Member ariesallover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    here, soon to be over there
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    sputnik, this book mirrors what you're saying: Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us: Christine Gross-Loh Ph.D: 9781583334553: Amazon.com: Books.

    Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us by Christine Gross-Loh Ph.D

    sputnik likes this.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

  11. #26
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think elizabeth badinter has written about it, and got shit on by both feminists and anti-feminists. i guess the truth hurts.

    i blame this trend in helicopter parenting and the belief that if you're not with your snowflake 24/7, co-sleeping, stimulating them and paying attention to every gurgle, burp and outburst, making pie charts and excel spreadsheeets about how best to organise their homework and school work, volunteering at their school, spending hours at the local farmers' market and making them organic home-made meals, and shuttling them between their structured play-dates, mandarin for pre-schoolers lessons, kids yoga, soccer practice and classical violin, they will grow up to be inadequate, traumatised losers and you will be labelled a Bad Mother.
    Damn. What sort of slackers do you hang out with?
    sputnik and Flygirl like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  12. #27
    Elite Member Flygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Jesus, Sput. If your friends are waiting until preschool to start their kids' Mandarin, they are already light years behind.

  13. #28
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,383

    Default

    They will probably end up at community college.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  14. #29
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    What I find confusing is that the resurrection of June Cleaver I've experienced is often among educated crunchy granolers in liberal cities and towns. I wish I could learn more about this phenomenon ... and whether it's just my perception or what. I mean I lived it, and was surrounded by it, but is it as widespread as it seemed to me?
    I wonder if for some it has become the new form of oneupmanship - "Oh look, we are so financially blessed and totally together in our lives that I don't need to work and can concentrate on being a so-much-better-than-you parent".
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


  15. #30
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,679

    Default

    ^ there's definitely a component of that. Also, the joy of competition they once got in the workplace is now transferred to the competition of their children.
    Kittylady, Flygirl, sluce and 1 others like this.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gloria Steinem at NY premiere of film Diana
    By azoria in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 1st, 2013, 03:55 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
  3. Sarah Jessica Parker as Gloria Steinem
    By 75Sasha in forum Just Plain Scary
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: March 27th, 2012, 04:29 AM
  4. Gloria Steinem - Documentary HBO
    By Chalet in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
  5. Gloria Steinem: Sarah Palin is 'wrong woman, wrong message'
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: September 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •