Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: Vince Vaughn wants guns in every school & an end to gun-free zoning

Quote Originally Posted by Gossiplover View Post
    It's our right as Americans to own guns. If you don't like them, don't own one, but your dislike of them doesn't give you the right to say that others can't own them. I happen to enjoy shooting and own many guns of all kinds. I also conceal carry a few pistols. I keep a .357 in my handbag and a .9mm on my person, which is a very beautiful rainbow titanium Sig. It's my right and I'm going to exercise it.
    You have a gun in your handbag and on your body? Like, everywhere you go, you are carrying two handguns?

Yes, I have kids, they even have their own rifles. They know how to use them properly and how to take care of them. Yes, I carry a pistol in my purse and one on my person. When I'm out in my yard I carry a pistol and a rifle on my person, so do my kids. It's the best way to protect ourselves from all the wild hogs in the area. You kill them before they kill you. A wild hog will eat you alive, they are nothing to mess around with.
    Piss off!

This kind of starting to sound a little like satire. What part of Texas is overrun with wild hogs?

ETA - just looked it up, Texas IS overrun with wild hogs. Not seeing much on human attacks unless you are a hunter who has one cornered.

I'm so sorry for people who are desperate to have a gun to feel safe. Mad world. I wouldn't want to experience that piece of mindset, urgh...

I'll never understand people who have large arsenals of guns, honestly. I can understand living in a very rural area and feeling insecure about your safety if it takes a long time for the police to arrive, but I just can't understand the need for arsenals. It seems like a power trip, to me, or extreme paranoia. I was getting a new phone a long while back and was talking to the guy as we went through the purchasing process, and he told me he has maybe 15 guns. He is mid-20s, and lives in an urban but hardly dangerous area. I don't even know how the subject came up, but I was shocked. Said he never goes anywhere without a gun. To be frank, it's terrifying to learn that so many people do so. The idea of going to the grocery store to just get some almond milk and be surrounded by people, even a few persons, packing heat is a pretty awful notion in my mind. I don't find it comforting, I don't feel happy that if some crazed shooter was to come into my Stop & Shop (cause that's def a possibility totally sure sure) I'd have a dozen strangers prepared to whip out their peni---er, gun. That does not comfort me. People should have the right to bear arms I suppose, but that level of intensity about them is scary. I'll never understand it, and I *do* live in a bad neighborhood. I've had people try to open my back door while I was in the house, but the idea of having an arsenal of guns (let alone one gun) has never crossed my mind. Let alone needing one on my person at all times---it speaks of not just preparing for confrontation, but wanting a confrontation, to be frank.
    aabbcc, idunno, Geest and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gossiplover View Post
    I wish more women would take the time to learn how to use a gun, you never know when you will need it.
    Word. I learned how to use a gun after I was attacked in my home by a masked gunman. They never caught the guy (that was apparently stalking me for months before he attacked), so yeah, I have a gun. (In a fingerprint id lockbox)

I do understand people's fear of guns, though. They're deadly and anyone who owns one should be required to take a class on how to use them and know the laws around them.
    Gossiplover and Clubber Lang like this.

Just out of curiosity, how would you use your gun if a masked gunman attacked you? It's in the fingerprint id lockbox.

What would make more sense is to encourage women to learn proper self-defence, incl. regular training on how to deal with knife and gun attacks (plus chokes, grabs etc). Sure,learning how to use a gun is useful, once you disarmed your opponent you wouldn't shoot yourself by accident.
    twitchy2.0 and faithanne like this.

I have lost dogs and livestock to hogs, so any we come across are killed. Some women like diamonds and gold, I like gun powder and lead. If that makes me paranoid, bad person, etc I'm more than ok with that, because I've never really cared what anyone thought of me or what I do.
    Piss off!

i have nothing more to say about guns...

i still think he's high though.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Me neither.

And somehow I managed to survive crack era NYC and it's high crime rate without 'packing heat', so why people living in a low crime area feel the need to carry guns to go about their day escapes me. Some kind of penis substitute or symbolism or something. 'Murrica, yeah!
    I can't speak or the masses as to why they carry concealed but personally I deal with PTSD from a sexual assault years ago while vacationing in CA years ago, and separately a home break-in while I was a student in Phoenix. I have never fully gotten over those events, though hypnotherapy and traditional therapy has helped.
    Is a gun going to safe my life one day? Probably not. But it is does provide me with some sense of security.

Edited to add: I also have a fingerprint lockbox, it is easy to open (if you're the one with the fingerprints on the lock), otherwise impossible. I wish we lived in a world where guns didn't exist, but we do, and I refuse to give anyone a chance to make me a victim again, not without giving them a very serious run for their money anyway.
    Last edited by Clubber Lang; June 4th, 2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: additional comment
    Gossiplover likes this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Guns are often used against their owners during crimes. It is a false sense of security.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how would you use your gun if a masked gunman attacked you? It's in the fingerprint id lockbox.

What would make more sense is to encourage women to learn proper self-defence, incl. regular training on how to deal with knife and gun attacks (plus chokes, grabs etc). Sure,learning how to use a gun is useful, once you disarmed your opponent you wouldn't shoot yourself by accident.
    Fingerprint lockboxes pop right open when it detects your fingerprint. It's not a time consuming step.

A woman my size could never overpower a man with a choke hold or a knife.
    Gossiplover likes this.

I don't own a gun and I don't want to own one. I suppose circumstances could change one day (if I moved to a farm or ranch in the middle of nowhere), but I just don't see that happening. My problem is with the concealed weapon. I don't want someone deciding to take out a shoplifter or go all vigilante on some guy at Chipotle. I feel that it's just as much my right to be able to be safe without worrying about the weekend warrior next to me deciding when it's time to pull his piece. How is my right to safety any different? Let's face it, not everyone with a gun should have a gun and not everyone that has a concealed weapon will automatically act with a cool head to a situation. As for having a gun in your house, fine by me, I just want to know before I would allow my child to play there. I've seen it too many times, kids find a loaded gun and that's all it takes. Not for me and it's my right to know.
    czb, Brah, Trixie and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coolade View Post
    Fingerprint lockboxes pop right open when it detects your fingerprint. It's not a time consuming step.

A woman my size could never overpower a man with a choke hold or a knife.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's as easy as opening the knickers drawer but by that time you are most probably down if it's a determined intruder and you have nothing else to back you up.

You would be surprised what women actually capable of doing with the right training. No kidding.

ETA: just re-read your post, you don't have to choke hold him (even though you could) and learning how to use a knife is useful, but I meant if someone is threatening you with a knife
    sluce likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    As a Dane I'll never learn to understand why (some) Americans need guns to protect them against the government. Do they really think the government will suddenly turn USA into a dictatorial dystopia. That's a level of distrust in the democratic process, I just don't get.
    As a Brit I agree with you.
    chartreuse likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information