Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Vanity of Vanity 6 Dies at 57

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Here's the Tonight Show with Joan hosting.
    aw, joan's so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    This is way too sad. I loved the Nasty Girl song.
    oh, she does nasty girl? i love that song. i don't like this groove, try and give me something i can croon to.

"The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    There's a story up on dlisted about how Prince honored her at his concert in Australia last night. I'm glad he did.

Was she the one who had a child with Prince? The baby had a genetic abnormality and didn't live very long.

^ No that was someone else.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    I don't know why people expect Prince to pay her medical expenses or funeral. So, they dated and worked together some 30 years ago. That doesn't mean he's obligated to anything, imo. If they didn't stay in touch, he might not even have known about her financial troubles.
    I certainly didn't expect Prince to pay a dime for her medical expenses. It would just have been an extraordinarily kind and generous thing to do for someone whom he once considered a friend. I guess is is something I would do if the situation were reversed and I were worth what he is worth. After all, I paid someone's mortgage payment when I found out she and her family were in arrears and were about to lose their home. Someone else (a mutual friend) also paid another late payment. This gal knew nothing about what we did until the bank told her. She eventually sent us each a cheque reimbursing us even though neither of us expected a dime. It was a gift. I had a little extra cash at the time and figured "there but for the grace of God go I." Now I live paycheque to paycheque but I don't regret it one bit. I think this is the first time I have mentioned what I did for her to anyone.

^ Good for you. All these Hollywood types have agents and managers to keep them in touch with the real world so Prince didn't have to track Vanity personally. He just has to have people telling him to do the right thing.
    sparkles and garysgirl1999 like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    Was she the one who had a child with Prince? The baby had a genetic abnormality and didn't live very long.
    That was Mayte Garcia, who was later engaged to Tommy Lee, as opposed to Vanity, who was engaged to Nikki Sixx. I wonder if Apollonia has ever met Mick Mars?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    No one anywhere should die because they cannot afford medical treatment. Perhaps the Canadian in me is showing but I feel very passionately about this. To me it is
    a basic human right. But shame on Prince for not quietly donating to her "gofundme" page. I am a huge fan of his music but this is truly crappy on his part.
    why are you so certain he even knew about her plight? From what I can tell they had no contact for decades.
    gas_chick likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    why are you so certain he even knew about her plight? From what I can tell they had no contact for decades.
    You're right, I can't be 100% certain that Prince was aware of her plight. I suppose I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he or someone in his entourage might have heard of her terrible situation. Mea culpa. I still feel that it is more likely than not someone (either Prince or someone relatively close to him may have heard something about it). I hear things all the time about people I worked with 30 years ago and was not close to. So I do find it difficult to believe he heard nothing about it-but I do understand your point.

I loved Vanity. So beautiful and hell I loved the song Nasty Girl too. She was so pretty who gave a damn what she was singing about. I think she is the one that wouldn't have anything to do with Prince since she became born again. He may not have even been aware of how sick she was.

Guess I should have read the rest of the responses but Prince doesn't have the people that other celebrities have. He produces and manages himself. The people he does surround himself with now might not even have known Vanity at all so I don't find it that hard to believe he wasn't aware of her situation.
    sparkles likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    You're right, I can't be 100% certain that Prince was aware of her plight. I suppose I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that he or someone in his entourage might have heard of her terrible situation. Mea culpa. I still feel that it is more likely than not someone (either Prince or someone relatively close to him may have heard something about it). I hear things all the time about people I worked with 30 years ago and was not close to. So I do find it difficult to believe he heard nothing about it-but I do understand your point.
    Here's the other thing - you are talking about a performer who is extraordinarily self-centered and reclusive, even by pop performer standards. He is pretty much the last person I would expect to do something like this, outside of Chris Brown and Eddie Van Halen.
    lindsaywhit and sparkles like this.

Prince paid tribute to his former protégé Denise "Vanity" Matthews throughout his Melbourne, Australia concert Lester Cohen/WireImage/Getty
    Prince Pays Tribute to Vanity at Australia Concert

"She loved me for the artist I was, I loved her for the artist she was trying to be," singer says of former protégé and girlfriend

BY DANIEL KREPS February 17, 2016
    SMS
    Prince paid tribute to his former protégé Denise "Vanity" Matthews at the Melbourne, Australia concert of his Piano and a Microphone tour on February 16th, the day after it was revealed the Vanity 6 singer and his ex-girlfriend had died at the age of 57. "I just found out a little while ago that someone dear to us has passed away, so I'm going to dedicate this song to her," Prince told the audience before performing a solo take on "Little Red Corvette."

SIDEBAR
    Vanity; Vanity 6; Obit
    Prince Collaborator Vanity Dead at 57 »
    Given the time difference between Melbourne and Los Angeles, Prince learned of his protégé's death just as he was set to take the stage for the first date of his solo tour. Throughout the evening, Prince admitted he was struggling with the news – "I'm trying to stay focused, it's a little heavy for me tonight. Just keep jamming," he told the audience, news.com.au reports – but frequently referenced Vanity in his set list.

On Purple Rain's "The Beautiful Ones," a song Vanity helped inspire, Prince transformed the lyric "I'm begging down on my knees," with "My knees" morphing into "Denise." Later, in "The Ladder," he changed the name of the song's Electra to Vanity.

Prince also shared anecdotes about the singer over the course of the evening. "Can I tell you a story about Vanity? Or should I tell you a story about Denise? Her and I used to love each other deeply," Prince said. "She loved me for the artist I was, I loved her for the artist she was trying to be. She and I would fight. She was very headstrong 'cause she knew she was the finest woman in the world. She never missed an opportunity to tell you that."

Later, Prince told a story about how, during a fight, he threatened to throw Vanity in a pool, only to have Vanity reply, "You can't throw me in the pool, you're too little." Prince then asked his bodyguard Chick to throw Vanity in the pool. "I probably shouldn't be telling this story, but she'd want us to celebrate her life and not mourn her," Prince told the audience.

Instagram
    © 2016 Rolling Stone
    Contact Privacy Policy Terms of Use Advertise

Read more: Prince Pays Tribute to Vanity at Australia Concert | Rolling Stone
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    gas_chick and VeraGemini like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Here's the other thing - you are talking about a performer who is extraordinarily self-centered and reclusive, even by pop performer standards. He is pretty much the last person I would expect to do something like this, outside of Chris Brown and Eddie Van Halen.
    First time I ever wished there was an "ouch" button.
    Belt Up and sparkles like this.

"She loved me for the artist I was, I loved her for the artist she was trying to be," singer says of former protégé and girlfriend

Wow. Even when discussing her death he had to indicate she was not at his level. She was an artist!
    sparkles, dexter7 and Belt Up like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^Yeah, I figured I wouldn't be the only one rolling my eyes at that line.

Makes him look like a really tiny man.
    sluce and sparkles like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information