Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper has terminal brain cancer

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Valerie Harper isn't just fighting terminal brain cancer—she's facing a legal battle, too.

Per the The New York Daily News, Matthew Lombardo and several Broadway producers filed a $2 million lawsuit against the 74-year-old actress, claiming that when she began work on the show Looped in 2012, she and husband Tony Cacciotti intentionally failed to notify them she had cancer. This suit, it should be noted, was reportedly filed as a counterclaim to one Harper filed asking for wages owed for the duration of show, which she was unable to complete because of health reasons.

Lombardo and the producers allege that Harpe didn't tell them about her 2009 lung cancer diagnosis because she wanted to get the role. However, per TMZ, the former Rhoda star began to forget her lines and slur her speech during rehearsals, at which point, Lombardo claims, he urged Harper to see a doctor.

It was reportedly during that visit that Harper discovered her lung cancer had spread to her brain. According to the NYDN, Harper dropped out of the production the same month as her diagnosis, leaving the Looped producers "scrambling for a replacement."

Lombardo claims this cost him $500,000, and the suit is asking Harper for $1.5 million in punitive damages.

Valerie Harper Sued by Broadway Producers for Not Revealing Cancer Diagnosis: Report | E! Online
    This is just a sad situation. I don't know all the details, and I do realize that if one is legally obliged to disclose one's health situation, one must comply honestly. But, it still makes me cringe.

EXCLUSIVE: Valerie Harper Rushed to Hospital, 'It Doesn't Look Good,' Source Says

by Antoinette Bueno 8:50 AM PDT, July 30, 2015

Valerie Harper suffered a health emergency Wednesday night, when she was taken away by ambulance during a performance of her musical Nice Work If You Can Get It at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine.

The fire department confirms to ET that they received a call at 8:56 p.m. about an unconscious 75-year-old female backstage, and that she was taken to York Hospital. According to Ron Corning, anchor and correspondent at ET's affiliate in Dallas WFAA, around 9:40 p.m., the artistic director of the musical announced to the audience that the ambulance seen on the side of the lawn was for the 75-year-old actress, and that she had fallen ill and wouldn't be performing.

WATCH: Valerie Harper on Cheating Death After Cancer Diagnosis

The director then said, "She wants all of you to know after some fluids and rest she hopes to be right back here on stage later this week."
    However, a source close to the situation tells ET, "It doesn't look good."

Corning also spoke to the art tech on site, who said that Valerie has not been well all week.
    The Ogunquit Playhouse said in a statement on Thursday that Valerie is now "resting comfortably" and will remain in the hospital for observation.
    "Valerie Harper was taken to a local hospital as a precaution before her July 29 evening performance of Nice Work If You Can Get It, at the Ogunquit Playhouse, after reporting that she was not feeling well," Bradford T. Kenney, Executive Artistic Director, said. "She is resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital for observation for the time being. .... The audiences and all of us here at the Playhouse are greatly enjoying our time with Valerie here in Ogunquit, and we are encouraged that she is feeling better."

NEWS: Jason Bateman Issues Touching Message to Terminally Ill Valerie Harper

The Mary Tyler Moore Show star only appears in the second act of the play, and is set to perform through August 15.
    Valerie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in 2013, after previously beating lung cancer in 2009. In April, she told ET that her cancer has not spread to other parts of her body, though pointed out that contrary to reports, she has not been "cured."
    "In a way, it's a positive thing to know that a year's gone by and it's nowhere else in my body," she said. "So I am cancer free from the neck down, so far."

EXCLUSIVE: Valerie Harper Rushed to Hospital, 'It Doesn't Look Good,' Source Says

Bless her she made it longer than they thought.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

It is amazing and inspiring that she has managed to keep performing up until this point, too.

Elite Member

Very sad, but she kept going much, much longer than anticipated and seemed to truly enjoy life during that time. She really is an inspiration. She didn't let the diagnosis slow her down.
    piperdiva and ConstanceSpry like this.

If it ever comes out that she faked the whole cancer thing, I will not be shocked. Don't shoot me!

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    If it ever comes out that she faked the whole cancer thing, I will not be shocked. Don't shoot me!
    wtf?

i've read a few reports that she's been transferred to a bigger hospital and is in a coma
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    wtf?

i've read a few reports that she's been transferred to a bigger hospital and is in a coma
    I just read that she's out of the hospital. I just have never heard of anybody surviving Stage IV lung cancer, ever. It's more likely that she never had it (wrong diagnosis?) than survived it. People do make up stories like this, to get out of work, or to gain sympathy, it's not unheard of. I like her, I wish her well, but I'm a tad skeptical.

I just read that she's out of the hospital. I just have never heard of anybody surviving Stage IV lung cancer, ever. It's more likely that she never had it (wrong diagnosis?) than survived it. People do make up stories like this, to get out of work, or to gain sympathy, it's not unheard of. I like her, I wish her well, but I'm a tad skeptical.
    That's an interesting theory. Do you think she'll eventually have an empty crypt in Paris that people make a pilgrimage to, like Jim Morrison?

i'm pretty sure if she was faking her cancer dx TMZ would be on it pretty fast.

There's a 1% survival rate, so its possible she is part of that group. And she may not have survived it, she's just living and functioning longer than anyone thought. It happens.
    gas_chick likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Valerie Harper hospitalized after falling unconscious before performance - TODAY.com

Valerie Harper fell ill before a scheduled stage performance in Maine Wednesday night, and was admitted to the hospital.

Ogunquit Playhouse released a statement explaining that the actress is "resting comfortably and will remain in the hospital for observation for the time being." But according to the hospital she was first admitted to, she's since been released.
    Harper, who was diagnosed with a rare and incurable form of brain cancer in 2013, felt unwell shortly before the production of "Nice Work If You Can Get It" got underway. By the time the fire department arrived on the scene, she was unconscious.
    But, as NBC News' Joe Fryer reported on TODAY Friday morning, the 75-year-old regained consciousness before the ambulance arrived.

Theo Wargo / Getty Images
    "Valerie is feeling better," co-star Sally Struthers said in a statement. "It's an amazing blessing." in 2014, the former "Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "Rhoda" star said "What I have is incurable and terminal, but guess what? ... Not today."
    Although Harper was first told she might only have three to six months to survive following her initial diagnosis, she's rallied in many ways since then, with one doctor telling her last year that she was "pretty close to a remission." She even went on to compete on "Dancing With the Stars" in the fall of 2013.
    During a visit with TODAY Kathie Lee and Hoda

Elite Member

Most survival rates for cancers are quoted as 5-year survival or 10-year survival. So she might still be alive within that time window but not cured.

If if her brain cancer is due to a metastasis from her primary lung cancer and that's her only site of metastasis, as one of the articles implies, that confers a better prognosis than multiple metastases. For many cancers there are subclasses within stage IV based on # and site (eg, brain vs liver) of metastases.
    llamamama and Bombshell like this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

I recall an interview back when she was diagnosed, and members of her medical team were with her. I doubt they would be in cahoots with her.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Valerie Harper faking cancer? Whose ass did THAT come out of?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information