Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Valerie Harper has terminal brain cancer

The actress' neuro-oncologist reveals on "Today" that she has hope and a bit more time in her battle with a rare, terminal disease.

Getty Images
    Valerie Harper

Valerie Harper's rare, terminal brain cancer may be close to remission, the actress' neuro-oncologist revealed exclusively on NBC's Today show Thursday morning.
    our editor recommends

Valerie Harper Discusses Her Brain Cancer Diagnosis on 'Today'

Mary Tyler Moore Reacts to Valerie Harper's Terminal Brain Cancer Diagnosis

Valerie Harper Diagnosed With Brain Cancer

A recent MRI showed that the Rhoda actress' leptomeningeal carcinomatosis is "pretty close to remission," Dr. Jeremy Rudnick told Meredith Vieira in a sneak peek at an upcoming special about Harper's battle.
    STORY: Valerie Harper Discusses Her Brain Cancer Diagnosis on 'Today'
    That development "defies the odds," Rudnick said, but he cautioned that her condition could change at any time.
    "They develop resistance to the therapy," Rudnick said of patients undergoing treatments similar to Harper's. "And it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
    So what this news really means is that Harper has more time, during which period hopefully something better will come along.
    Harper revealed that has terminal brain cancer in March. Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis is a disease in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain. Her physicians gave her three to six months to live when she was diagnosed Jan. 15.
    STORY: Valerie Harper Diagnosed With Brain Cancer
    Harper previously beat lung cancer.
    Rudnick is one of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center physicians treating her, along with oncologist Dr. Ronald Natale.
    NBC will offer viewers a closer look at Harper's battle with cancer on Valerie's Story - a Meredith Vieira Special, which is set to air on Thursday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. after the finale of NBC's new Ryan Seacrest-hosted reality show Million Second Quiz.
    It was reported yesterday that Harper could be one of the contestants on the upcoming fall season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars. Valerie Harper's Brain Cancer 'Close to Remission,' Doctor Tells NBC (Video)

Good for her! My grandpa had lung cancer and it also turned into brain cancer. They only gave him 6-12 weeks to live. He lasted 6. Same thing happened to my SIL's father, although he lasted longer.

That's why lung cancer is so vicious, and I think it spreads cancer, since the lungs help spread oxygen through your body. Even though you can beat lung cancer, like my grandpa did, I think it's spread and it's in the shadows lurking around a corner until it decides to rear it's ugly head.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

WHEW! I admit when I saw this back up top I had a sinking feeling she was gone.

I hope she kicks the ever living shit out of this.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I'm happy for her. I just don't understand people, whether they're famous or not (like Valerie & Farrah) having themselves filmed during such difficult times. On the one hand it can be educational, but it's such an intimate, stressful time having to deal with a possibly terminal illness. I don't know. JMHO.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

'Dancing' contestant Valerie Harper hopes you dance, too

By Lisa Respers France, CNN
    updated 6:03 PM EDT, Wed September 4, 2013

(CNN)
    -- Fans of "Dancing With the Stars" know how grueling the competition can be.Contestants practice for hours a day, and almost every season some celebs are brought low by injury. So how in the world will Valerie Harper, who just months ago announced that she had a terminal form of cancer, go for that mirror ball trophy?Apparently with the same spirit that caused the "Rhoda" actress to offer this up for fans: "I hope you dance! I hope you dance," Harper told CNN on Wednesday. " And that's what I'm saying to everybody, that's just my message. Dance."

Harper announced in March that she had been diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a condition in which cancer cells spread into the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. But Harper told CNN that she does not have brain cancer.
    "I have lung cancer," she said. "It is situated in the lining of the brain; it's not even in the brain.

Her husband, Tony Cacciotti,
    encouraged her to sign on with the hit ABC dance competition, she said. He runs the couple's production company and had been considering her participation for a few years. The actress said she initially resisted the idea.

"I said, 'Give me one good reason,' " Harper recalled. "He said, 'You have cancer! Get up there, and show people that you can dance and do -- and the doctors said it's fine to exercise. Encourage people to move, to exercise, to do all the things that will be good for them, and mainly not to sit in the house and glower and worry and feel sorry for yourself because you have this disease and anything else.'"

Exercise is generally encouraged for patients, according to the American Cancer Society.

"At one time, patients with cancer, especially in the advanced stages, were often told by their doctor to rest and limit their exercise," the organization's website says. "But newer research has shown that exercise is not only safe and possible during cancer treatment, but that it also can reduce symptoms and improve quality of life."

Harper, 74, said she has been responding well to treatment, though she disputed reports she is in remission. Thinking about death makes everyone fearful, she said, "and we gloss it over; we pretend it's not happening, that it's over there."

"This death sentence made me look it in the eye, and then once you do it, it's a great freedom," she said.

The show's host, Tom Bergeron, said Harper is in great spirits, even joking with him that "Hey, I'm past my expiration date!"

"I think arguably we have some of the (most) poignant story lines of all this season, particularly with Valerie," he said.

Harper's dance partner for the show, Tristan MacManus, said the actress' participation goes beyond her being ill.

"It's not about someone who's sick doing something," he said. "I think it's just about someone who's willing to do something."

CNN's Jacque Wilson contributed to this story

'Dancing' contestant Valerie Harper hopes you dance, too - CNN.com

Lalasnake likes this.
    "You should've never trusted Hollywood..."

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I'm happy for her. I just don't understand people, whether they're famous or not (like Valerie & Farrah) having themselves filmed during such difficult times. On the one hand it can be educational, but it's such an intimate, stressful time having to deal with a possibly terminal illness. I don't know. JMHO.
    It just proves my theory that the vast majority of actors are huge narcissists until the very end. Even if it's for a good cause.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

As a three time cancer survivor, I hate to say this, but: could she be saying this for ratings? She went from less than three months with terminal brain cancer, to lung cancer remission responding so well she can compete in physical competitions?

Yes. I feel incredibly shitty for saying that.
    HWBL, sprynkles and Karina like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by venue_26 View Post
    As a three time cancer survivor, I hate to say this, but: could she be saying this for ratings? She went from less than three months with terminal brain cancer, to lung cancer remission responding so well she can compete in physical competitions?

Don't feel bad. I expected her to too be dead by now. Valerie is milking this cancer thing all the way to the bank?
    Wasn't she diagnosed months ago, back in the winter?

Die faster, Valerie. You're annoying people.

As a three time cancer survivor
    That is amazing Venue. Way to kick the ass of cancer.
    I saw Valerie on Hot In Cleveland recently and she looks fantastic. Her speech being slightly slurred was the only thing I noticed. Gotta love her. MeTV just started showing Rhoda. I have not seen that show since it originally aired. It is a wonderful blast from the past. I forgot how much I loved her meddling mother!

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Silver Member

Prior to her cancer announcement, she was making the round of crummy talk shows trying to promote a book. There was one with Lisa Whelchel guest-hosting - what would that show have been? Anyway, she didn't mention the cancer at all. Then all of a sudden she was dying and everyone was interested in her. Got to say, I've been thinking the same thing you stated, and so have others I've spoken to.
    HWBL and Bluebonnet like this.

Making up such lies will not end well, fate can be unpredictable.

jesus christ people. She's kicking cancers ass. not EVERYONE dies from cancer (koff *me* koff)

maybe she was told she had a short time, and now she's going into remission. Doctors are not always right when it comes to this shit.
    mostroop, McJag and sprynkles like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

As well you should! She allows her world reknown neuro-oncoligist to go on live TV to discuss it. I hardly think he is going to support a pack of lies. What a thing to say. Ratings for what show? Really. I would think a 3 time cancer survivor would not scoff that she is only surviving 2 so far. This is for real and too well documented.
    Witchywoman likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Valerie Harper Sued by Broadway Producers for Not Revealing Cancer Diagnosis: Report

Valerie Harper isn't just fighting terminal brain cancer—she's facing a legal battle, too.

Per the The New York Daily News, Matthew Lombardo and several Broadway producers filed a $2 million lawsuit against the 74-year-old actress, claiming that when she began work on the show Looped in 2012, she and husband Tony Cacciotti intentionally failed to notify them she had cancer. This suit, it should be noted, was reportedly filed as a counterclaim to one Harper filed asking for wages owed for the duration of show, which she was unable to complete because of health reasons.

Lombardo and the producers allege that Harpe didn't tell them about her 2009 lung cancer diagnosis because she wanted to get the role. However, per TMZ, the former Rhoda star began to forget her lines and slur her speech during rehearsals, at which point, Lombardo claims, he urged Harper to see a doctor.

It was reportedly during that visit that Harper discovered her lung cancer had spread to her brain. According to the NYDN, Harper dropped out of the production the same month as her diagnosis, leaving the Looped producers "scrambling for a replacement."

Lombardo claims this cost him $500,000, and the suit is asking Harper for $1.5 million in punitive damages.

Valerie Harper Sued by Broadway Producers for Not Revealing Cancer Diagnosis: Report | E! Online

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information